Hello Guest September 20, 2024, 01:45:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portsmouth harbour  (Read 2335 times)

liotta

• Forum member
Portsmouth harbour
« on: March 12, 2008, 20:54:41 »

Being from Portsmouth and living 500 yards from the spiniker tower in gunwarf i could not wait to play a mission that took me there.

So i free roamed with the p & 0 ferry .... Why having no morings no ancor etc could i not move the stupid ferry forward ... now dont laugh im being serious. my starting point was right opposite the tower.

Shipwreck

• Forum member
Re: Portsmouth harbour
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 20:58:59 »

maby you were grounded (stuck on the land because of depth)
Developer

Dreadnought

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 20:59:51 »

Sorry if this may seem silly but how much draft do you have?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 21:03:26 by Dreadnought »

liotta

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 21:04:34 »

well that seems a good question ... i asumed that as ferrys of this size go in and out of the harbour all the time that i would have had enough depth beneath me. it seems the only explination though. ill start from another position.

TerryRussell

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 21:32:10 »

Hi.

Like you, I come from the area (keep a vessel in Chichester Marina, often in and out of Portsmouth).

There are a number of threads about it, but basically, the whole Solent environment was modelled using Chart Datum (i.e about  0.5 - 1.0 metres lower than Mean Low Water Springs). Hence the lack of depth. So, think of the lowest tide you've ever seen in Portsmouth. Then take anouther metre from that.

It was complicated by the fact that the land height is based on Mean HIGH water Springs. So about 5 metres (15 foot) of water/land is missing. You'll get the Hovercraft into Portsmouth Harbour but not a Ferry.

Shame. I understand there are plans to fix this at some stage. But it is a HUGE amount of rework.

liotta

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 09:07:46 »

so i wasn't going mad then ..... thank you for your help

TerryRussell

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 20:39:41 »

No problem, glad to help.

Enjoy the game.

thassos

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 18:34:10 »

I always suspected that depths were based on low water levels - maybe if they ever put it right we may be able to get a tanker in to the deep water terminal.
Just in case it is not a depth problem - I once had a rescue boat stuck at a wharf with plenty of water under her but she move3d as if she had the anchor down.  Full throttle, about half a knot.  She wasn't moored, wasn't anchored but wouldn't moved.  I came out of the mision and went back in several time but no difference.   Can't remember what I did that made it work OK unless it was a result of completely shutting down the sim and starting from scratch.  Worked forever afterwards - so sometimes weird things happen.
The right to speak does not include the right to be taken seriously.

Creator on Creators Forum

TerryRussell

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 19:21:32 »

"Just in case it is not a depth problem"

Hi thassos.

There is a depth problem. I've said so above and it half a dozen other threads.  ;)

Your problem doesn't sound related to that. If a simple reboot fixed it, then you had some Windows or PC-related troubles, nothing to do with Ship Sim, obvously, as they went away.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 19:23:38 by TerryRussell »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines