Hello Guest September 22, 2024, 19:21:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: when does ss08 come out in the US?  (Read 2639 times)

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
when does ss08 come out in the US?
« on: March 04, 2008, 00:03:41 »

I really want to know, because multiplayer will be fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun! ;D

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
Re: when does ss08 come out in the US?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 00:07:26 »

You can always buy the download version. That is what I did. I have never seen ss06 in any stores so that might be your best bet. :S

I think it comes out in Q1 of this year? IDK

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 00:08:50 »

The problem with download is you can't put it on cd, so a new computer means you have to get it all over again!

TerryRussell

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 01:01:31 »

Yes, you can save the download and all of the udpdates as files on your hard disk and then burn to CD. Very easy to do that.

But so long as you have your licence key, you can download again at any stage, so not even any need to made a CD copy.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 01:15:02 »

hmm... should I buy the boxed version or download it...

I KNOW!

I should wait until I HAVE THE GRAPHICS CARD TO PLAY THE GAME BEFORE I DOWNLOAD IT!

I have a GeForce 7600 coming in and it should be here in the next couple of days...

hard to believe I got that far ahead of myself...

Cobrattack

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 06:45:49 »

The download version is also slightly cheaper than the box version.  I got the download version and burned it to cd.  However if the box version comes with Nav Charts or something else it would be worth getting the boxed one.  I don't think it does though  :(

TerryRussell

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 08:17:16 »

I wish it did, because I would rush our and buy a copy!

Currently I obtain real-life charts and use them (especially for my home waters in the Solent). But obviously although Ship Sim is based on them, it can't be absolutely accurate (it can't be due to the limitations of games programming).

capterik

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 00:12:02 »

Order the cd online, they ship fairly fast. I have had my copy since last fall.

TerryRussell

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 16:04:31 »

Hi Capterik.

That's what was suggested earlier, but RMS Gigantic says he needs to get a good video card first. If the hardware isn't good enough the user will only find problems.

Shim Simulator is very demanding because it has to calculate much much more than most simulators and action games. Any PC which is under specifications will fall over or at best, never work as good as it should.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 02:30:46 »

I just got the card yesterday and got it installed last night

I think there's something wrong with me: I've called the Titanic beautiful more times than I ever said that to a girl, lol :P

TerryRussell

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 08:08:07 »

That card was worth the investment, then.

Enjoy yourself  ;)

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 08:11:10 »

yes, enjoy yourself :)
Kind Regards,
Jack.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 15:57:27 »

I will!

Except I just noticed the gaps in the rails where the stairs to the funnel areas go in the next game, and that may drive me NUTS!

TerryRussell

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 19:27:14 »

Unfortunately, due to the sheer size and complexity of the Titanic model, there is no way that everythng can be included. The designers have to apply teh surgeon's scalpel to the model and cut some details away, or else most PCs won't be able to handle it. ("polygon count" is the term for this).

No matter which way they cut it down (some windows are just grey boxes with no details, although they're generally out of the way, etc) someone will say "Awwww, that bit is missing!".

Oh well.... ;)

mvsmith

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 21:52:07 »

The quality of Titanic has been degraded from what it was originally, probably so that it could be used in multiplayer. If I run the original SS08 or 1.1 I get full details in railings and boat deck windows, but from 1.3 on, even on a higher-spec system, those details are gone. There seem to be two separate models: In a mission written in 1.1, Titanic has full details in the first environment, but is degraded after the environment switch. Also, the weather shields below the bridge windows are missing.
Marty

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 06:09:31 »

but-but... The ship is absolutely gorgeous and-and beautiful and-and I want to see all of her T-T
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines