Hello Guest September 24, 2024, 07:32:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Idea _ SS Professional - 5PCs multiplayer - Marine Training  (Read 1704 times)

Tavares Junior

• Forum member

Hello VSTEP and Moderators;
Hoe Gaat Het met jou Meneer?  :D

I’m concluding all the materials like videos photos books and etc.,
For a 10 days conference between pilots and Tug Captains here in my town and what I just was discussing with the pilots was the possibility to have the SS08 playable between 5 PC’s, without any connection to the forum and or multiplayer on the web.

This is just an idea I got in mind now.
Image,
In a training room with max 5 pc’s

And then I have :
1 Ships at berth (Wating for pilot) Player 1
1 Pilot boat, Pick up pilot – Boarding the pilot on the ship Player 2
2 Tugs or 3 other players.

AI traffic
Statistic vessels.

For training this sounds good and closer to the big marine Simulators.

Could you look forward for that? I know that for the ss08 it’s a bit late but what about for the next version?

Even it would be into the SS Professional instead the normal CD that we all are buying.

Lets have a version as the Professional today but with the possibility for 5 players (On different PC’s) to play the same mission.

Marine schools, Marine graduation centers, Tug companies, pilot companies and even Ship owners could invest on that.

Thanks for the attention
Tot ziens meneer.
Tavares
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 07:11:30 by Tavares Junior »
Tavares Jr
** Open Sea - Radar observer - SMCP - GPS / Chart Plotters / Certifyed yatch Master

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
Re: New Idea _ SS Professional - 5PCs multiplayer - Marine Training
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 12:24:44 »

Hi Tavares :)

I'm afraid that the idea of a pro-version isn't new at all. It has already been carried out with the 2006 version and I believe the succes was very limited since VSTEP didn't announce a pro-version of SS2008.

My personal opinion of why a pro-version of SS08 woundn't interest maritime schools is based on the lack of certain demanded features:

1. An advanced dynamics model that meet the requirements of the STCW code approved by a major classification society.
2. Wind and currents.
3. ARPA Radar (and ECDIS as we had in SS06 pro).
4. A more advanced nav. lights.
5. Better AI or instuctor controlled AI.
6. More instruments.

Without these features SS pro wouldn't be of any interest. Remember that these institutions have to guarantee that time used in simulators is used for training and not gaming. I think SS needs some time of development before a pro-version will be realistic.

Regards
groennegaard

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 13:23:24 »

Hello groennegaard,
Quite right, and the beta-testers are the best placed people to evaluate the validity of the models. You perhaps know if a stable set of relations exists or has been established between ships parameters and movements, that would be a great point to achieve dynamic models.

ARPA and ECDIS simulation are not "far away", and better nav lights is not a major problem, surely.

AI ships are out of the question, I think. Well player ships in LAN, graphically downsized to their exterior, so as to reduce the program load, together enabling interplay of the instructors. Would it be possible to create effective and realistic AI ships, I wonder what would be the use of deck officers. Although they do not much on the bridge, they cannot be anymore missed than pilots in a plane, I am sure you agree with that (why?).
AI ships are good to populate graphically the landscape, at a distance, with elementary rules (avoiding collisions or strange behaviours), but not for close quarter situations, that are the rule in a harbor!

Although I admire the controls incorporated in the simulated bridge, I think realistic instruments need to be incorporated in different specialized panels, windows able to be transfered -ad gustum- on another display.

Nice dreams, indeed
Luc

Tavares Junior

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 11:53:47 »

Thanks groennegaard,
You are right.

But is there any chance to made a multi player as mentioned?
I'm really interesting about that.

Thanks,
Tavares
Tavares Jr
** Open Sea - Radar observer - SMCP - GPS / Chart Plotters / Certifyed yatch Master

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 12:00:14 »

Hi Tavares :)

When the server-software is ready it will be released and you will then be able to set up your own server. This means that you'll be able to choose the number of players, the area, the available vessels and so on.

Regards
groennegaard

powell

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 20:51:01 »

I got lost in the listing of the following features. Are these availabe in 2006 but not in 2008? Or are they just not part of ship sim?

1. An advanced dynamics model that meet the requirements of the STCW code approved by a major classification society.
2. Wind and currents.
3. ARPA Radar (and ECDIS as we had in SS06 pro).
4. A more advanced nav. lights.
5. Better AI or instuctor controlled AI.
6. More instruments.

Thank you.

mvsmith

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 01:12:58 »

Hi Powell,
None are present in Ship Simulator at present. VSTEP are in the business of making professional incident training simulators, and are perhaps working on the very project Tavares proposes. I have no information on that.
This simulator will, I’m sure, continue to evolve to the extent that PC technology and economic concerns permit. It will be some time before it has developed to the point where it could be considered an important training tool for deck officers.
As an introduction to the basics of ship handling and navigation it serves well, and might perhaps qualify one for a merit badge in Sea Scouts.
Regards,
Marty
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines