Hello Guest October 05, 2024, 10:26:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Iceberg issues  (Read 1783 times)

bowie

• Forum member
Iceberg issues
« on: January 28, 2008, 20:21:32 »

This problem has been bugging me for a long time. when i make a mission and place icebergs in it with a very slight amount of wind in the air, they begin to move at 30kts or something straight towards my ship when I get closer to it. its really annoying has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?

regards  :)

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
Re: Iceberg issues
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 20:31:23 »

Hi bowie :)

Is it possible that you place the icebergs on shallow waters? I have seen ships act the same way if they are placed on ground.

Regards
groennegaard

mvsmith

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 05:40:17 »

Hi Bowie,
Are you sure you used a static berg and not an AI berg? AI objects can do strange things if they are not on a path.
Marty

bowie

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 20:18:30 »

no i put them in the middle of the atlantic and they do it

TerryRussell

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 23:21:32 »

AI and static vessels don't truly interact with the environment unless the "always awake" setting is switched on. This means their location is an approximation. When the player vessel gets close, the position is calculated accurately. This may some way from the approximation, so the ship will lurch into the new poistion.

I've noticed the same thing with static ships when I am producing new missions. The larger vessels are the worst affected (or perhaps it is just more noticable).

As the player ship comes within the "come-awake" radius of the static ship, the static vessel will go from zero to top speed almost instantly and rush forwards. I found that with Lattitude or Vermaas, the effect was most disturbing.

You can see a similar effect with AI ships as the player vessel gets close. They often rise into the air by several feet and then fall back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines