Hello Guest September 08, 2024, 03:40:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ship Simulator 2008 Very Slow - What Should I Upgrade?  (Read 3558 times)

Sammy

• Forum member
Ship Simulator 2008 Very Slow - What Should I Upgrade?
« on: November 19, 2007, 12:00:41 »

Hi,

My son loves Ship Simulator 2006 and wants Ship Simulator 2008 for Christmas but the demo runs painfully slowly on our pc (2006 is fine), spec as follows:

cpu: AMD 3200+
ram: 1GB
graphics: nVidia GeForce 6150 (Built-in)

What would you suggest I should upgrade? Nothing too expensive, I hope!

Cheers.

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
Re: Ship Simulator 2008 Very Slow - What Should I Upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 03:03:05 »

Hi Sammy, welcome to the ShipSim forums  ;)

As far as I can see your graphics chip is not really up to the job. If you want to play ship sim with less "lag" then I suggest you purchase a separate graphics card. Onboard chips are naff at playing 3d games as with my laptop :)

My advice would be to buy a separate graphics card that is compatible with your system. Your CPU and RAM are fine, just update your graphics ;)
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

TJK

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 00:29:39 »

Hi,

My son loves Ship Simulator 2006 and wants Ship Simulator 2008 for Christmas but the demo runs painfully slowly on our pc (2006 is fine), spec as follows:

cpu: AMD 3200+
ram: 1GB
graphics: nVidia GeForce 6150 (Built-in)

What would you suggest I should upgrade? Nothing too expensive, I hope!

Cheers.

'

HI
 the system requirements for ss 08

Operating system: Windows 2000, XP NOT VISTAmy personal opinion Processor: Pentium 4 2.4GHz or AMD equivalent
Memory: 1GB (Windows 2000/XP) or 2GB (NOT Vista)
Graphics card: GeForce 5900 or ATI 9600 Pro / X600 (128MB)
Audio devices: Sound card
Input controller: Mouse with scroll wheel
Optional controllers: Joystick, Joypad or Steering wheel

Stay along way from vista if yuo vil have a problemfree gaming, use win xp home ore pro read more here of my frustration http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,3563.0.html
my self use a graphicard MSI Readon x 1950 pro psiexpress with 512 mb of memmory, and not so expensiv
Good loc with you mail to santa then :)
Regards
TJK
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 13:29:34 by TJK »

adamano

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 08:36:54 »

all youu should try is upgrading your RAM to 2GB, also maybe buyign a Graphichs card as on board graphichs arnt very goood with games

jskipper

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 10:10:02 »

My previous post was unintentional. Site builders, please make the "Post" button not the default button.!

Have you seen the thread about the file "NewtonCommandLog.txt" ? You should make this file read-only.
For me it made a world of difference. The file is in the folder "C:\Program Files\Vstep\ShipSim2008", or wherever you have installed ShipSimulator. If the file is not read-only it grows and grows and grows ...
Mine was over 1GB when I discovered it. Just delete it. The program will make a new one.

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 14:27:55 »

Why is everyone recommending upgrading RAM??  ???  It's obvious that this persons onboard graphics chip isn't up to the job. Onboard chips are rubbish at playing 3D games whereas a separate graphics card would handle the load plus it has its own dedicated RAM without sharing the main system RAM.

I only have 512MB RAM and a 2.5 Ghz CPU, along with a 500Mhz GPU (Graphics clock speed) which admittidly cannot run SS08 perfectly on full graphics, but if you tweak the settings you can get the game to look smooth without compromising FPS (speed at which the game renders the graphics).

If you would like any help in choosing a new card for your system, please let me know and I will be happy to help  ;)
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 14:32:50 »

'

HI
 the system requirements for ss 08

Operating system: Windows 2000, XP NOT VISTAProcessor: Pentium 4 2.4GHz or AMD equivalent
Memory: 1GB (Windows 2000/XP) or 2GB (NOT Vista)
Graphics card: GeForce 5900 or ATI 9600 Pro / X600 (128MB)
Audio devices: Sound card
Input controller: Mouse with scroll wheel
Optional controllers: Joystick, Joypad or Steering wheel

Stay along way from vista if yuo vil have a problemfree gaming, use win xp home ore pro read more here of my frustration http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,3563.0.html
my self use a graphicard MSI Readon x 1950 pro psiexpress with 512 mb of memmory, and not so expensiv
Good loc with you mail to santa then :)
Regards
TJK

What are you on about? The SS 08 requirements on the website clearly state that the game IS compatible with windows vista. Yes, a few people have had a couple of problems but why tell people the wrong information??

Drumbeat

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 19:03:41 »

Yes I agree, I have been useing vista for 18 months now and is vary stable with all games/sims I play and they where all inerited form windows xp. >:(

blueman05

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 22:52:58 »

also for vista, if you click on a game icon on the desktop and go to properties, you can make the game run as if it were on XP or any other microsoft OS.

TJK

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 22:57:20 »

What are you on about? The SS 08 requirements on the website clearly state that the game IS compatible with windows vista. Yes, a few people have had a couple of problems but why tell people the wrong information??
I tell what experiens i hade with vista
And i dont't tell ewerybody what to or not to do I my self has so menny broblemes with the os  and i will not recoment it to non.
Yes I agree, I have been useing vista for 18 months now and is vary stable with all games/sims I play and they where all inerited form windows xp. >:(

AND to you  i youst will sey , i heve my full right to mean that i  mean and tel about my experiens on the vista
This i tout was a friendly forum ther ve can tell others about ouers experiens with SS and os the are best to play as, if i had somting to sey about system requirements for ss 08 i will not recomandet vista. Sorry
Vista V.S XP fore geaming, sorry folks vista will loos
My self has used vista sins the forst Longhorn  beta test come out i'm one of menny betatesters for microsoft so i think i now what i talk about
TJK
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 23:07:04 by TJK »

TJK

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 23:02:16 »

also for vista, if you click on a game icon on the desktop and go to properties, you can make the game run as if it were on XP or any other microsoft OS.
Yes you can do that an trikk it but it not alvaise worke for the anoying safe ting in vista, well you can turn it off, vel then you olmost have a xp with bether look and more jus of memmory and so on, happy for you folks som get vista to work for you :)
TJK
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 23:04:09 by TJK »

TJK

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 23:16:46 »

I quote from this topic  http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,3563.0.

I have a friend in the industry, he has informed me that there isn't a single PC available on the market that can fully utilise Vista's capabilities.  None of them can cope with it yet, apparently ::)

Using this as a guide, and my experiences with pre-Service pack XP, I don't intend to get Vista for quite a while yet ;)

Regards.

DJM.

So this is not only me ;D

Regards
TJK

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 21:36:01 »

Can we please get back on topic?? People are highjacking a thread and turning it into a debate about whether Vista is any good or not.

Please get back on topic guys and give this person some advice they CAN use  ;)

TJK

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 22:54:11 »

Can we please get back on topic?? People are highjacking a thread and turning it into a debate about whether Vista is any good or not.

Please get back on topic guys and give this person some advice they CAN use  ;)
Tanks that is the best tips for to day And for last time, Ilove Vista for menny thing, but not for gaming, there are xp best, end of deskusion i hop
TJK
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 22:58:49 by TJK »

Scoopey

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 09:05:27 »

Another biggy to watch out for folks is Norton's auto protect.
When running it slowed ss08 down to a picture show and I'm running an Athlon 6000+ dual core with 2 gig of ram and an NVidea GT8800.
Once auto protect was turned off it when at lightining speed!
Steve C
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines