Hello Guest September 19, 2024, 02:49:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sail boats?  (Read 3740 times)

ramboza

• Forum member
Sail boats?
« on: May 02, 2007, 09:35:25 »

Why the sail boats are not included in ship simulator? I mean playable ones. Not AI traffic...It's so lovely to operate even a small sail yacht like in Days of Sail...

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
Re: Sail boats?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 10:29:34 »

Greetings,
Yes,but i think there 's agood reason.
There is on the market allready a game with sailboats,named Virtual Skipper 4.This game is very nice to play,and you can even play it online.
Vstep started ship-sim,because there was untill that time no game with bigger vessels,and nicer graphics,in which you could sail.
As far as i know,for the moment there is no idea to extend the game for sailboats,one you can steer.However what the future will bring us for the game,i dont know.My idea is to optimize the game and vessels,and than look further.
Regards
Marc
N

ramboza

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 13:50:26 »

Hm, even in Virtual Sailor 7 you can operate sail boats and other vessels...big and small. Of course, the graphics quality is very poor, but i think the idea to include sail boats in this game will make it only better and better.

Barry

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 14:50:57 »

I believe sailing ships are to be included in the next version after this years edition.
Vstep mentioned it a while ago in reply to my queries.
I certainly hope suitable sceneries for sailing ships of all types will also eventually be included.

Even that won't matter if we get our own scenery designer as we can then make our own, but have my doubts if that day will ever come with vstep from what I can understand from replies to my posts.

Stentec has the next version of their sailing simulator, in beta mentioned for September, this year, and I make sceneries and content for them at present. Tutorials etc on my site.

Barry

www.barrywright.clara.net

« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 14:56:30 by Barry »

J3nsen

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 15:09:51 »

Greetings,
Yes,but i think there 's agood reason.
There is on the market allready a game with sailboats,named Virtual Skipper 4.This game is very nice to play,and you can even play it online.
Vstep started ship-sim,because there was untill that time no game with bigger vessels,and nicer graphics,in which you could sail.
As far as i know,for the moment there is no idea to extend the game for sailboats,one you can steer.However what the future will bring us for the game,i dont know.My idea is to optimize the game and vessels,and than look further.
Regards
Marc

Virtual Skipper 5 is out now :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnoZgLjzIHI Trailer :)

Barry

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 15:26:27 »

Just did a search on the old forum and in a post I think by pjotr about trainees and graduates to work on future editions.

Barry

Quote "2. Realistic dynamics and 3D rendering of sailing vessels, like modern yachts and historic Tall Ships. The 2006 and 2007 versions of the game are aimed at motorised ships, but sailing is on the wish list for 2008." end quote.

Regarding Virtual Skipper.. I only like non-racing options in sailing simulators for which you can make easily whatever you like, as regards satelite based sceneries, and content and boats, suitable for the era that interests in you and in my case c1800.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 15:33:59 by Barry »

Ship Sim

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 20:24:00 »

Id enjoy sailboats with a small motor to help get along the way. :)

ramboza

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 21:53:01 »

Same to me :-)
try Virtual Sailor 7
http://www.hangsim.com/vs/ - demo is only 15mb.

I wish someday a game like ms flight simulator X will show up for sailing+motor yachts. It's lovely to reach any point of the Earth + good navigation trainer.

Wout

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 22:44:05 »

I can verify that sailboats are on the wishlist for shipsim 2008.
Wout

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 23:55:41 »

I can verify that sailboats are on the wishlist for shipsim 2008.

Wish list yes - but from what I understand it is not yet something that is confirmed to be added to the game, right?
-Dave

Moderator, Ship Simulator Official Forums
Founder, The Ship Simulator New Vessel Design Group
Designer - Print, Branding, Fashion, Identity Systems

The New Vessel Design Group - Bringing gamers ideas to Ship Simulator

Wout

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 11:46:24 »

I'm sorry, I meant the game after 2008 (probably 2009). It is the developers goal to have sailboats in game in that game version.
Wout

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2007, 03:41:08 »

I'm sorry, I meant the game after 2008 (probably 2009). It is the developers goal to have sailboats in game in that game version.

Wow . . . See everyone - Not too far away!
-Dave

Moderator, Ship Simulator Official Forums
Founder, The Ship Simulator New Vessel Design Group
Designer - Print, Branding, Fashion, Identity Systems

The New Vessel Design Group - Bringing gamers ideas to Ship Simulator

soap boy

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 17:10:35 »

yes a sailboat would be great fun especialy in big waves!!!!

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 17:28:42 »

Hmmm, some of the professional seaman I know gonna call them the white plague.. ::)

For me it would be enough to have the current ones with sails and just as AI objects. That would be great for the paths around Phi Phi or off Marseille for example. I fear, the development of a real sailing ship behaviour, depending on wind and wave and stream will cost a lot of development which I would like to see in another construction sites. But that's of course just my very own opinion and maybe it isn't as difficult as it seems to me. And hey, I'm a retired seaman too... ;D  ;D  ;D

Best regards
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 01:11:54 »

ld like it to have sailboats ofcourse, but I think that development for that could be used for inprovement of many other stuff.

thanks to Tore/TJK for this awesome sig

alazose

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 07:30:09 »

As a preliminary and/or less involved effort, perhaps VSTEP could include semi-autonomous sailing vessels where the complex maneuvering was handled primarily by the program, but where we could still see the sails fluttering in the breeze as the tall ships plied the rough ocean waves.  This would be an extremely welcome addition to the simulation, and would raise the enjoyment level by several orders of magnitude. 

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 07:40:02 »

I personally think think that a motor sailor would be nice in ship sim,

something like this:

Or maybe even this:

there's a lot to choose from, i think the sailboat idea is good, but, will it take away from what the game really is supposed to be, "Ship Simulator?

The reason why i suggested a motor sailor of some sort was because of my thoughts above, a motor sailor has sails and usually an inboard engine. Or you could call them Motor Cruisers etc. so i thought that having a motor sailor would still keep the "tradition" but would broaden it slightly to make the Simulation more interesting and exciting.

Kind Regards
Jack.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 07:46:56 by IRI5HJ4CK »
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Capt.Bluebeard

Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines