Hello Guest September 22, 2024, 23:25:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rotterdam and San Francisco Channels.  (Read 2863 times)

Tavares Junior

• Forum member
Rotterdam and San Francisco Channels.
« on: October 27, 2007, 17:02:17 »

Hello,
SS08 Team,

i was trying to navigate with the VEERMAS trough ROTTERDAM from the terminal ECt to the hook of Holland,but after the oil terminal theres a large spot of shallow water in the channel. At least no way to pass with big ships.
Also about the San Francisco Port no way to reach the container terminal shallow waters at many place.

please confirm if the game will remain the same or a enviroment updates path will be posted soon

best regards,
Tavares Junior
Tavares Jr
** Open Sea - Radar observer - SMCP - GPS / Chart Plotters / Certifyed yatch Master

JHB

• Forum member
Re: Rotterdam and San Francisco Channels.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 20:28:16 »

So this mean that the depth levels in Ship Simulator 2008 isn’t based on the depth levels used in the real world? What a shame… :-\

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 23:17:16 »

So this mean that the depth levels in Ship Simulator 2008 isn’t based on the depth levels used in the real world? What a shame… :-\

I think the Solent is reasonably accurate, according to the admiralty chart I looked at. I don't know about the other regions though. They won't be 100% accurate of course.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Wout

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 23:53:05 »

All levels are made using real water maps. They should be accurate.
Wout

m131167

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 09:40:46 »

All levels are made using real water maps. They should be accurate.

See ...I think the reply that I would have preferred would be either...

- We have tested it and the ships in question can enter the aformentioned places.... or....

- We havent actually testet it but because of what the reports indicate we will test it and ASAP post a reply to this.

The reply as given by wout.... doesnt in reality tell anyone anything and is therefore in essence meaningless

Hey guys ...you usually do better than that  :-)

Best regards

Michael

Eemspoort

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 10:31:53 »

Hmmm...

Well, if the maps are created with the original charts alongside, they should be acurate indeed.
Ofcourse VStep could have checked it, but on the other hand, if you go to Rotterdam in real life with a ship, you must trust the charts as well, no change of a test run.  ;D

Oh, and i didn't tried it yet, but will do. ;)
m/s "Eemspoort"
1961, Hilgers A.G.-Rheinbröhl
76,2 x 8,20 x 2,72 mtr, 1085 ton
Deutz RBV 6 M 545, 800 HP @ 380 rpm
Daf KMD 250.2, 250 HP @ 1800 rpm, bowthruster

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 11:24:04 »

Hey guys ...you usually do better than that  :-)

I think the comment made was along the lines of 'it's about right but don't use it as a navigation aid for a multi million pound ship. If you do and it sinks, don't blame vstep'.

Remember that REAL navigation charts are constantly updatded- the seabed doesn't always remain exactly the same.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 11:26:53 »

It's pretty simple: all data is correct, based on original sea charts. But the there stated depth are taken at very low tide! And the vessels (esp. the VERMAAS) runs fully loaded with her maximum draft. See the conflict?

Cheers
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

Eemspoort

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 16:12:38 »

Yep, we need low and high water!  ;D
Wait for high water, and sail into the harbour. ;)
m/s "Eemspoort"

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 16:26:52 »

Well, that feature seems to be on the To-Do-List from VSTEP for the SS09/10. Guess, that could create further problems, for example with all the floating parts like pontoons, docks and so on. I tried to convince the developers to use the mid tide levels, but they wont do that. If I take a look at the quays in Hamburg, we still have mid or higher tides right now... :-\

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 16:29:32 by Bottman »
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!

Eemspoort

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 17:11:22 »

Bottman,

I agree, looking at the quays, it's high water all the time, but with the depths of low water.
A little mis-calculation, perhaps?
Oh well, we are all human, and make mistakes. Let's just hope, we will have tides in the next version of SS. And for the pontons and stuf. They will go with the tides like the AI- and user-ships do, don't see a real problem there. Or the problem should be for all the floating objects?

I'm not a programmer, so i won't say to much now..
m/s "Eemspoort"

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 17:36:47 »

Hi Eemspoort,

I fear, the developers don't know what's all floating around  ;)! And it's a little bit frustrating, that we have told them the conflict between the visible high tide and the playable low tide.. :'(

Let's wait and see! I still enjoy every voyage with the game...

Cheers
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 17:55:14 »

Hello,
The reference of depths and altitudes are not the same on nautical charts.
The zero of land is the mean high water mean level in UK (I think), and mean water level in Europe.
Depths are given with a zero level being the lowest low water level.
The mistake must be the difference between both levels, something like the mean height difference between low and high tide.  ::)
Also, geo data can be ED50 instead of GPS, commonly WGS84.
Regards,
Luc

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 18:32:04 »

Trust you Europeans to be akward  :D

Stu

Tavares Junior

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 20:52:10 »

Gent,

1st reply to JHB,
If do you have the ss06 see that there's mission from hook of holland till the harbour (Close to down town) with the titanic.
No shallow water was found in the channel something that does't had before at the SS06! Made a test on the SS08 try to pass with the VERMASS and LATITUDE just try and really look at the shape of this big sand bank ;)

2nd reply to Bottman,
My friend please look first at the channel and see the shape of this sand bank (Big one) I guess its defenitely not normal, what we shoud have is just a correction nothing more. Please made a test at the same local between ss06 and ss06, Vermass and or any other vessel's at least shoud have maximum draft based on the high deep of the bigest ports into the game. ;)

3rd reply to Wout,
Wout,
Please look at the charts of holland (Rotterdam) from the erasmus bridge till Hook of Holland, next year I shall be in holland and Germany for Harbour pilotage training and I have looked at some charts and nautical almaques already. :) Please made a test yourself with the LATITUDE and VERMASS later tell us more.

:D
Friends,
First the idea is not to made any bad view about the ss and or vstep, of course it's clear that this is a GAME and not a navegation tool and also that charts there stated are not to be use of or for any reason out of the GAME!
What I just want is to have in good and in 100% used condition something what I'm buying. of course support will be welcome all the time.
I don't want to create any trouble between ss team and users but I had expend some money for this GAME more than was expended for SS06 and the AddOn especial because I'm leaving in BRAZIL.

Holpe that Vstep give attetion to my poor message and at least made a test on the game and check with the charts and finally gives a position if a patche will be posted to the users or not as the maps are really corrected.

Thanks to all and sicerely regards, ;)
Tavares Jr
** Open Sea - Radar observer - SMCP - GPS / Chart Plotters / Certifyed yatch Master
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines