Hello Guest September 08, 2024, 03:54:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Around the world  (Read 4285 times)

tomer

• Forum member
Around the world
« on: October 01, 2007, 23:19:18 »

Hello there!

I have a question:

Why there is no all the world in this simulator like FS (Flight simulator by microsoft)?

thank's
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 23:21:45 by tomer »

ee w

• Forum member
Re: Around the world
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 03:33:11 »

Flying an Air France Concorde across the Atlantic to New York in a simulator
may be feasible if you have a lot of time.

But running an Container ship across the Atlantic is a bit much out
of reason for a simulator.

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 06:55:50 »

Greetings,
This have been discused before,on this forum.
My question is,who is willing to stay on the computer for a month,or leaves his computer on atleast.
I was thinking more on a crossing between Port of Rotterdam,and maybe Portsmouth,because these harbours are allready in the game.However creating the Northsea between these 2 harbours would take many,many hours.
Than you could do this voyage in real time,approx 8 hours.Dont forget the Northsea is a busy place to be(traffic).
Well,think it over.
My view is,when this mission ever comes,than it's O.K.,but it's not on top on my wishlist.
Regards
Marc
N

tomer

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 10:18:02 »

Thank's everybody for replays.
Believe me that someone in the world can wait for around month in the open sea.

In afterthought, maybe you can create the mediterranean sea, where I live.

thank's again!  :)

ozziesailor

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 13:06:31 »

well there is a save option why cant u juz save ur progress whenever u get board like fs?

Britannic

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 13:50:32 »

Because unlike fs this is a ship simulator, whereby the focus is more on the logistics of the ship and sailing than the surroundings. Besides, we already almost have a 'round the world scenario' with ss08, what with the pacific and atlantic.

Sky
When Ive finished Media college Ive got many desired jobs, one being; Simulator making!

Jackal

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 16:40:06 »

I keep seeing people asking for a true "free roam mode" all around the world... So it seems it's not SO a crazy idea; there ARE people interested in it. Apart of programming issues, I wouldn't discard the idea at once. People asking "Would you like to sit in front of your pc for 1 month?", of course the answer's no... but there is the savegame function; and there ARE people flying 10 hours with Flight Simulator - and no Concorde - (I'm one of them, although I don't have so much free time anymore lately). Basically, IMHO, at least harbour areas should be larger; I mean, I still think it's awful being at sea and suddenly being transported inside the harbour; should the harbour area be larger, you could at least see the land closing in, which would be faaaaar more realistic than the teleport thing that places you in the middle of the harbor (or almost so). Just my 2 cents.
Ciao,

Corrado

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 17:09:57 »

Hello there!

I have a question:

Why there is no all the world in this simulator like FS (Flight simulator by microsoft)?

thank's

But think of having to model allt eh world's harbours.

tomer

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 20:59:18 »

But think of having to model allt eh world's harbours.

Think about FS for a moment, their is more than 23,000 airport in this specific simulator,
most of the airports are default so it's easy to create 1000 approx ports around the world. (I don't know the accurate number).

I believe that when will be update like this that add all the beaches in the world, will be companies that create models of most ports in the world.

Think about that...

oomickoo

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 21:55:22 »

Then why not allow the Ship Sim public to help out via 3rd party content creation? No doubt people will create what they want to see, including harbors, beaches, coatal areas, boats/craft, realistic logos/shipping line official color schemes, scenery objects, etc. Sure worked for Auran Trainz!

Just a thought...

Mick
Mick

Jackal

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 22:52:27 »

Then why not allow the Ship Sim public to help out via 3rd party content creation? No doubt people will create what they want to see, including harbors, beaches, coatal areas, boats/craft, realistic logos/shipping line official color schemes, scenery objects, etc. Sure worked for Auran Trainz!

Just a thought...

Mick

Well, looking at the project they have to download new ships via some kind of subscription process, I suppose VSTEP prefers (for now at least) to keep all the development in their hands; maybe it's not a bad idea for the start, but I suppose that will have to change at some point in the future to give Ship Simulator the same kind of development (in terms of copies sold) for example Flight Simulator had.
Ciao,

Corrado

mvsmith

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 00:32:23 »

What would be the point to going to generic or default ports? ShipSim is as great as it is because the ports are carefully detailed. I, for one, hope VSTEP never sink to filling it with junk.
Nor do I think they should squander resources on a less than realistic ocean travel capability that most who demand it now will try once and never do again.

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 06:54:30 »

Greetings,
As you all seen,the quality of graphics is very high,and making a vessel is one thing(look to goax and Simon).
However making harbours,that takes alot longer,aslo you have to take care of the underwater-scenery,aldo you dont see that realy.
Making buildings can you more easy,but in a harbour are many buildings.
I'm also sure that some of our members realy can make al these things,than i suggest that they contact Mark or Pjotr by PM.
Regards
Marc
N

tomer

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 08:48:51 »

All you right,

But how business work?

"customers requestes and owners gives".

This update can be very economic for VSTEP, think about the companies that built add-ons for sim...

;)

Britannic

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2007, 12:33:21 »

Er-you missed the second part of that anecdote; '...if wthin approapriate reason and possible cost to the requester if need be...'

Sky.
When Ive finished Media college Ive got many desired jobs, one being; Simulator making!

Harry G

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2007, 17:51:55 »

Too true - it takes weeks for QM2 to sail not even half the way around the world, and she's going relatively fast for her size.

It may be better if there was a simulation rate increase option like in FS, but even then, I don't see any benefit in it other than the thought that you've just sailed once across the world.

afik_t_king

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2007, 18:01:15 »

It's not fun that you have only some ports that you can sail from, and after you leave the port you just "teleport" to the open sea, and then "teleport" again to the other port.

This is the main thing that attrac people to play Flight Simulator. Who will play this game, if you just have only 6 airports for example. It's a lot funner when you can sail anywhere you want!

oomickoo

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2007, 20:34:29 »

I agree.

I thnk one main reason people are making comparisons to MS Flight SIm, Auran Tainz, and other sims is that in a subtle way, we're trying to hint to VStep what we (the potential customers) would  like to see in their product that would make us want to buy it. We know the success of the other sims, because we we play them and enjoy them a lot.

There is great potential in this product (Ship Sim), but you have to listen to your audience to see what they want. A smart company will listen to their customers and try as best they can to give their public what they want. Oh sure, they can say, "This is our product, take it or leave it," but that's not only going to "turn people off," it's gonna affect the financial bottom line (profits). And what smart company is going to want to cut their own throat financially by angering their public when the real goal should be trying to gain support for a new product and make a positive name for their brand.

I sure hope VStep isn't going to take this attitude or they're going to drown, not in sea water, but red ink, and have a whole lot of meaningless nothing (programming code) to show for their efforts while they organize their bankruptcy papers.

Mick

Mick

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2007, 21:09:29 »

I agree.

I thnk one main reason people are making comparisons to MS Flight SIm, Auran Tainz, and other sims is that in a subtle way, we're trying to hint to VStep what we (the potential customers) would  like to see in their product that would make us want to buy it. We know the success of the other sims, because we we play them and enjoy them a lot.

There is great potential in this product (Ship Sim), but you have to listen to your audience to see what they want. A smart company will listen to their customers and try as best they can to give their public what they want. Oh sure, they can say, "This is our product, take it or leave it," but that's not only going to "turn people off," it's gonna affect the financial bottom line (profits). And what smart company is going to want to cut their own throat financially by angering their public when the real goal should be trying to gain support for a new product and make a positive name for their brand.

I sure hope VStep isn't going to take this attitude or they're going to drown, not in sea water, but red ink, and have a whole lot of meaningless nothing (programming code) to show for their efforts while they organize their bankruptcy papers.

Mick

I agree. People like to explore the world :)

afik_t_king

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2007, 22:20:21 »

Sure.
But not just that, there are some people, me too, that are not from England, USA, or France. I'm living in Israel, and it will be very very fun to sail in the ports of Israel for example.

It's starting to get boring after you sail in the same ports all the time....

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2007, 11:28:59 »

It's starting to get boring after you sail in the same ports all the time....

You are spot on with that comment, I think. However, it would have taken much longer and been much more expensive if vstep had made a port from, say, 20 or 30, countries. No doubt add on ports will be available at a later date.

The problem is that ports may well be developed based on the number of sales they generate. If there is a large shipsim fan base in Israel then problem solved.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

afik_t_king

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2007, 12:00:52 »

But the problem is that it's much more easy for Vstep to release new versions and patches for new ships, and little features, then to create new ports, make the ship handeling much realistic (instead of start the ship with a simple switch, you need to learn how to activate all the systems...PMDG like...).

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2007, 12:31:21 »

Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines