Hello Guest September 28, 2024, 03:18:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Extremes arrived today..... But!  (Read 1984 times)

SSILB - Ricky

• Forum member
Extremes arrived today..... But!
« on: September 08, 2011, 21:36:23 »

Hi all,

Am new to this, my friend at work has got me into this Sim and he has been running 2008 for a while, him being the old hat  :captain: and me the new hat  ;D

However, both of our games arrived today, at his house and at my own house, I have had the Steam version arrive (from ebay), loaded the DVD into the drive, installed Steam and now downloading the whole Sim from Steam!!!

4 hours left  ???

What is the DVD sitting in my drive for again?
I expected it to be playable from the DVD and not wait for a download to get playing.

Is this normal?
2nd Coxswain of The Sandown & Shanklin Independent Lifeboat - An Orange ex-RNLI Atlantic 21.

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
Re: Extremes arrived today..... But!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 21:55:50 »

Hi all,

Am new to this, my friend at work has got me into this Sim and he has been running 2008 for a while, him being the old hat  :captain: and me the new hat  ;D

However, both of our games arrived today, at his house and at my own house, I have had the Steam version arrive (from ebay), loaded the DVD into the drive, installed Steam and now downloading the whole Sim from Steam!!!

4 hours left  ???

What is the DVD sitting in my drive for again?
I expected it to be playable from the DVD and not wait for a download to get playing.

Is this normal?

It is, quiet frankly with every game. After you registered your copy on Steam it will take a little while to download and place the game files on your hard drive, so all I can say is to be patient.  :)
Also, your download speed may be a bit on the slow side.  :-X
"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

SSILB - Ricky

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 22:01:17 »

Thanks Skip for the info, also it doesnt help whne you have a brother downloading stuff at the same time, can see me trying it for the first time over the weekend at this rate lol.
2nd Coxswain of The Sandown & Shanklin Independent Lifeboat - An Orange ex-RNLI Atlantic 21.

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 22:12:43 »

I don't think it's downloading SSE, but the updates to v1.4. Mind you that the disc version is v1.0  ;)
It's the crew that makes the difference

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 06:43:45 »

I don't think it's downloading SSE, but the updates to v1.4. Mind you that the disc version is v1.0  ;)

No no, that's the problem with Steam. I installed a new game from disk which was for Steam and it said it was downloading. I think what's on the disk are just the files so Steam can recognize and register them so that the download can begin. It was downloading 5GB and I doubt an update is that big in size!   :o  ;)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 06:45:31 by VirtualSkipper »
"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 06:43:56 »

Just a wise lesson not buy Steam based games.  ;)

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 08:10:17 »

No no, that's the problem with Steam. I installed a new game from disk which was for Steam and it said it was downloading. I think what's on the disk are just the files so Steam can recognize and register them so that the download can begin. It was downloading 5GB and I doubt an update is that big in size!   :o  ;)

It took me 3 day's to download Alien V.S Predator 2010 edition  ;D :o but Steam is quite clever, it takes care of everything for you and you are less likely to mess everything up , the bigest + about steam is that you can get cheaper games, I realized now EB games is a total rip off over pricing game store.E.g Team Fortress 2 is free to play EB games was gonna charge you money.

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 09:42:55 »

It took me 3 day's to download Alien V.S Predator 2010 edition  ;D :o but Steam is quite clever, it takes care of everything for you and you are less likely to mess everything up , the bigest + about steam is that you can get cheaper games, I realized now EB games is a total rip off over pricing game store.E.g Team Fortress 2 is free to play EB games was gonna charge you money.

Team Fortress 2 is free now so they can make you buy items for it.

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 14:31:16 »

Team Fortress 2 is free now so they can make you buy items for it.

Very true im tempted to buy something each time I play

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 09:32:25 »

If the suggestion that this is down to a download for an update that takes over 4 hours, it suggests there was a serious and fundamental problem with this dodgy game from day one.

Quite frankly this just isn't good enough level of service to have this many cock ups that requires such a large number of updates.

I really WANT to like sse and vstep but it is being made very, very hard. I won't buy sse on principle (until it is made to work- properly- and all on one disk).
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines