Hello Guest September 19, 2024, 22:49:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions B4 I buy  (Read 1092 times)

Mikolas

• Forum member
Questions B4 I buy
« on: June 22, 2010, 20:22:09 »

Ahoy maties :)
I am thinking of buying SS08 and horizons pack...have a few questions though.

I notice with the Horizon expansion there are some Sailing vessels...can you actually "Sail" them or are they just navigable under power?
If you can sail under wind power...how are the physics? ... Is it just a motorboat with the sails up or do wind direction and sail setting actually have an effect?

On "Free Roam" where can you actually go? Once you leave the...say San Francisco area does it include the western US coastline so I could sail to Long Beach or Catalina Island without all the port and building graphics?
If the coastline is there...can the harbor and coastal scenery be created with the editor?

I have DL'd the demo and it seems very smooth and intuitive...but very limited to see what the game is really like.

Anyway...any responses would be appreciated.
Thanx
Mik

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
Re: Questions B4 I buy
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 20:58:41 »

Hi

Ahoy maties :)
I am thinking of buying SS08 and horizons pack...have a few questions though.

I notice with the Horizon expansion there are some Sailing vessels...can you actually "Sail" them or are they just navigable under power?
If you can sail under wind power...how are the physics? ... Is it just a motorboat with the sails up or do wind direction and sail setting actually have an effect?

There are no sailing vessels "in game", although there is a downloadable one in the shipyard, however she is under power.

On "Free Roam" where can you actually go? Once you leave the...say San Francisco area does it include the western US coastline so I could sail to Long Beach or Catalina Island without all the port and building graphics?
If the coastline is there...can the harbor and coastal scenery be created with the editor?

The Free Roam is in the enivronmnts - you cannot go further out then the map (hope this makes sense)

You cannot sail too far out of SF. No, the only editor in game is a mission editor

Hope this helps  :thumbs:

TFM

Aad The Pirate

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 21:03:14 »

Ahoy Mikolas, and welcome to this Forum,
Concerning your questions about the sailing vessels: No, you can't really sail them, just drive them under motor power.
To the free roam question: If p.e. you leave the SF Area, you will, just before you sail off the edge of the world, get a warning message, telling you that you have to turn around or the game will do it for you. You cant really leave an area. All you can do is activate the 'globe' icon and choose another enviroment when you're free roaming.
You could wait for about 2 month, and then the new Ship Simulator will be released, or just buy the SS08 together with NH.
Good Luck with your decision.
Aad
Feel free to have a look @: http://members.chello.nl/a.vermeulen14/

Mikolas

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 21:19:41 »

Yeah...think I'll wait for Extrremes and see what that has to offer. I am a big fan of simulators...MSFS from the beginning through FSX, had MS Train Sim...but, unfortunately they no longer support it. Orbiter Space Simulator.

Hopefully Extreme will have more world wide coverage (always liked that about MSFS...being able to go to any location in the world :) ) Or at least support Scenery expansion packs (Would really like to sail off my native coast of California) and Sailing with true physics like Virtual Sailor.

Anyway...thanx for the replies guys :)
Looking forward to seeing what Extreme has to offer :)

Mik

mvsmith

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 00:28:17 »

Hi Mik,

To add to what Aad said: In free roam there is a button to get the environment selection globe without the need to first go outside the current environment. You can then select another environment like the Pacific Ocean, and from there to another port.
However, you are restricted to just those environments supplied: New York, San Francisco, Hamburg, Rotterdam, Marseilles, The Solent (Southampton, Isle of Wight, etc.), Padstow in Cornwall, Phi Phi islands in the Gulf of Thailand, and a few sections of ocean.
The situation will be the same in Extremes, but with the addition of more environments. Those confirmed include Sydney, Bora Bora, and a part of Antarctica.

If you are considering getting SS 2008, I recommend getting the Collector’s Edition. It includes New Horizons and installs both in a single operation from the DVD. This avoids the need for a bunch of separate updates, which not everyone gets right.

Regards,
Marty
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines