Hello Guest June 08, 2024, 03:41:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Modern cruise ships `SCARE THE HELL OUT OF ME`  (Read 5291 times)

clanky

• Forum member
Re: Modern cruise ships `SCARE THE HELL OUT OF ME`
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2010, 17:30:04 »

As ugly as the Norwegian EpicFail is she is probably one of the safest ships at sea.

The safety record of modern ships speaks for itself, a small fire which would have once crippled a ship is now detected (to the nearest few meters), contained, and in most case extinguished, automatically.

Technology made life easyer for seamen.

But they shure most be well trained in using all of that. Biceaus a lot of accidents are caused by lazy undertrained crew.

And there are a lot more ships around the world then 40 years ago.

Just exactly what information do you base this quite serious allegation on?

The biggest threat to safety at sea is not the reducing quality of seafarers, but the reducing numbers of seafarers on ships and the resulting increase in workload on seafarers some of whom are getting paid a pittance.  It is very easy to jump on the bandwagon and blame accidents on lazy crew, but the responsibility for these accidents has to lie with both the ship owners who operate ships with too few crew and the flag and port state authorities who allow them to do so.

When you have worked 14 hours per day for 6 months then you are entitled to judge the actions of others who have as lazy.  Until then i would suggest you keep such offensive remarks to yourself.

kthxbai
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 17:32:44 by clanky »

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2010, 17:53:06 »

Clanky,     [ Firstly my apologies to the site for including the full `quote` again, but I don`t know how to break it down or select single passages.  I`m really pretty `thick` concerning PC`s,  maybe some one will advise me on that ].  

When you click on a the quote button you get the text of the original post with QUOTE tags before and after these are the [qu0te author=Trampship Man link=topic=19082.msg258703#msg258703 date=1276965899] and [/qu0te] bits, if you copy them and paste them so that you have one at the beginning of a section of text and the other at the end then those individual sections will appear as quotes.

Just don't forget to preview your post as it is easy to make mistakes.

Okay, back to Clanky now.    You`ve made some pretty interesting points there mate, and I ALMOST feel a little guilty at questioning the merits of present day seamen.  I say `almost` because I continue to think about the behaviour of the captain and most of the crew of the Greek ship `Oceanos` on 4th day of August, 1991. off the West coast of Africa.  Though I do acknowledge that `exceptions` are to be found everywhere.

As disgraceful as that incident was, it would be much less likely to happen on one of the large modern cruise ships operated by the big respectable companies.  Crews on such ships tend to be much better trained and motivated.

I would agree with you on the `wonders` of modern technology, the degree of automation etc today is certainly pretty `mind boggling`.   However, there are quite a few examples of modern technology failing, and sometimes in a pretty big way.    We can also look at the fantastic technological advances in aviation today.   Our airliners are bigger than ever and fitted with every technological gadget possible.  In fact they don`t even need pilots for most of the time.  Yet every now and then despite all the modern gadgetry an airliner will inexplicably disappear or crash  with large loss of life.   To my mind this simply says that at the end of the day all our technology, all our wonderful automation and systems thereof, are not foolproof and are only as good as their designers and operators, and more importantly are in fact still largely subject to mechanical or electrical failure [despite back up systems] or can still be affected or rendered largely ineffectual by `good old`and never to be eliminated `human error`.

Technology can never replace seamanship, but it can complement it.  The kind of technology which is in use on ships in terms of safety systems is actually fairly basic and robust.  Things like automatic fire-door closing systems, automatic sprinkler systems, automatic ventilation control are all technologies which have been well proven and which have a huge impact on safety, although they are still relying on humans at the end of the day.

A ship is by it's nature an inherently dangerous environment, and you can never say that any ship is totally safe, although i believe that Harland and Wolffe used the term "unsinkable" to describe one of their ships a few years ago.

Again, all I can say is that the safety record of these large ships speaks for itself, they are probably inherently safer by design than the older passenger ships where structural fire protection was less well understood.

Cruise ships will undoubtedly continue to get bigger.  Not of course for the benefit of the travelling public,
but rather for faster and ever bigger profits for their owners or operators.   We are talking today of something like 2000 passengers aboard a cruise ship are we not ?  This of course could eventually double or even more.
Pretty mind boggling I think !   I am simply saying "where will we `draw the line`" ?   Where in terms of risk will`acceptable`end, and where will `unacceptable`begin ?    I remain convinced that all the technology and safety features in the world could simply be absolutely `overwhelmed` by 2000 [or eventually 4000 or whatever] panic stricken passengers !  I could add that `time may yet tell`!  Though of course I sincerely hope that such a thing never happens.

I think the limit to cruise ship size will come not from technological restraints, but from commercial ones, I think there will come a point where even the Americans will simply not want to sail on these horrors any more.

Now to change the subject. I`ve been meaning to ask you what influenced you to select the title of `Clanky`?   I imagine it will be the engineering connection, am I right ?    I think you may now suspect what`s coming next ?    How`s your `big end` Clanky ?   [a clanking engine usually signified to me that my `big end` had `gone`.    Thanks for your `post`, I always find you interesting.    My apologies for the pathetic `joke`.

Regards,  
Ken.  

I was once described by a "jumped up rope chucker" :P as a "common old clanky" and I used it on an internet forum once, it has sort of become my interwebz name.

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2010, 09:22:30 »

I agree, the new ships have no class, no elegance and in my opinion are just ways of ferrying chavs to 'Lanzerrottey'

Bring back the liners!
Almost never here, try here.

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2010, 12:18:15 »

I agree, the new ships have no class, no elegance and in my opinion are just ways of ferrying chavs to 'Lanzerrottey'

Bring back the liners!

lol, if that is the case then they must be the oldest chavs in the world!  The average age of cruise ship passengers is around 157.

Trampship Man

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2010, 13:18:10 »

From `A jumped up rope chucker` to `A common old Clanky` [with knackered `big ends`]

Thanks for your latest.  Once again interesting reading !    I`m sure that you and I could go on for ever on this one,  so maybe it`s time to call a `truce`.   I`m afraid no one is ever going to change my mind on the topic of modern cruise ships [the title `ships`being designated very loosely].   I wish you well with your faith in todays technology and `health and safety reg`s` etc etc, and I trust that you may wish me much happiness in `Dinosaur Land`.

Regards,
Ken.   
Trampshipman

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2010, 16:08:43 »

Just exactly what information do you base this quite serious allegation on?

Until then i would suggest you keep such offensive remarks to yourself.

I have a book full with examples of them, it is called 'the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea' with examples from accidents wich all could have been prevented. Just biceaus the mates and/or captain didn't follow the regulations properly. Not having a proper look-out is one of them. Just like misinterpreted radar information.

And I allso have 20 teachers who all say the same thing that it is extremely important to train good seamanship, and to know the regulations and basics very well.

Offcourse I understand that working on a ship is hard biceaus you have long and difficult working times. That may not be a reason to not keep a proper lookout! A lot of accidents are caused biceaus people take descisions to late based on faulty information.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 16:17:51 by Sam »

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2010, 17:04:50 »

I have a book full with examples of them, it is called 'the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea' with examples from accidents wich all could have been prevented. Just biceaus the mates and/or captain didn't follow the regulations properly. Not having a proper look-out is one of them. Just like misinterpreted radar information.

The last time I checked the colregs were not a list of accident investigations

Most cases of not having a proper look out are due to ships being under manned and the deck crew having to spend all day working cargo therefore not being available for bridge watchkeeping at night.  Port and flag states wring their hands in horror when this happens and ask "how could this happen" the answer is simple these same port and flag states allow ships to sail with too few people onboard, I still cannot see how this justifies your "lazy undertrained crew" comment.

And I allso have 20 teachers who all say the same thing that it is extremely important to train good seamanship, and to know the regulations and basics very well.

I couldn't agree more about the need to teach the basics, however, I would suggest that if you are going to accuse people of being lazy you do so based on your own experience (when you have some) and not on the experiences of others.

Offcourse I understand that working on a ship is hard biceaus you have long and difficult working times. That may not be a reason to not keep a proper lookout! A lot of accidents are caused biceaus people take descisions to late based on faulty information.

Again when the deck crew have been on deck all day for cargo operations and maintenance then the fact that a junior officer is left on his own on the bridge overnight is not due to laziness or lack of training, but to overwork and under-manning.

It has become very fashionable for people to talk about the dangers of sub-standard crews, but the dangers of substandard owners, sub standard port / flag state inspection and substandard classification society inspection are much worse.

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2010, 20:20:35 »

The last time I checked my colregs book it did have examples in it!
And no, it is not a standard book with only the colregs. That is why I said it is a colreg book that contains EXAMPLES. Now that that is set straight, let us please stop this childish game.

I mean no harm or offence.

I did not say that every single crew is lazy and undertrained.
But I allso heard (from not one person only) frome people that they where the stand on ship, and they had a close cpa with a other ship. So they call up that ship on VHF and they ask what their intentions are, and they advise them to change course to starboard or reduce speed. Then they hear a person on the other ship that barely can speak English who sais 'Captain sais no change course, I no change course'
Sorry, but I call that undertrained and lazy. If you must give way, then you must give way., unless you have a very good reason.

For example:
A ship cuts off an island to save time. But there is a uncharted pinacle wich the ship hit. It capsized under 5 minutes. Nobody thought about reading the pilot of that area, wich said the chart was higly unreliably outside the main fairway.

Officers on a cruiseship want to save time by going full speed trough a busy traffic separation scheme. Unfortunately they don't see the containership crossing from the starboard side and hit it full on the port stern. Nobody thought about the posibility of ships crossing from the starboard.

I agree that that has to do mostly with timepresshure and tierdness, but those accidents could have been prevented if they paid a little bit more attention and remembered the importance of proper lookout and voyage preparation.

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2010, 09:54:39 »

But I allso heard (from not one person only) frome people that they where the stand on ship, and they had a close cpa with a other ship. So they call up that ship on VHF and they ask what their intentions are, and they advise them to change course to starboard or reduce speed. Then they hear a person on the other ship that barely can speak English who sais 'Captain sais no change course, I no change course'

I would be more than a little worried.
Almost never here, try here.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines