Hello Guest September 19, 2024, 22:07:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Resources and capabilities of Ubisoft v Vstep.  (Read 1169 times)

Trampship Man

• Forum member
Resources and capabilities of Ubisoft v Vstep.
« on: May 29, 2010, 14:31:17 »

I recently raised the issue of ships `washes` and `wakes` in Ship Sim, in that when changing course in Ship Sim the `wash` along the hull completely disappears, no trace, on the inside of the turn. Quite unreal believe me !   
When a ship is moving at speed there will ALWAYS be a `wash`along BOTH sides whether turning or not.   Various suggestions came my way, ie:- To create realism in this respect would be technically extremely difficult, very expensive, and very resource hungry.  Also, even if feasible we would need super PC`s to play it.           
     I have just aquired Silent Hunter 3 which apparently is quite an old game now.  In this game, so that I could `mess about` without being interrupted by shellfire or whatever, I selected Navigation chapter in Training mode.
With the sub` surfaced and motoring ahead I then selected `Freeview`mode and began altering course to both port and starboard alternately.  Using the cursor keys you can maintain your position and viewpoint from astern and just above the sub`.  Lo and behold ! What did I find ?  I found that throughout all turns a consistent and  pretty realistic`wash`IS maintained or created along BOTH sides of the hull, before merging with a realistically behaving `wake`. This NOT on a super PC, but just an average PC by todays standards.   
     I find it interesting that Ubisoft have already successfully achieved these effects [and quite some time back too] whilst Vstep cannot [or will not].  I now ask myself "Is this because Ubisofts resources, capabilities, and attention to detail are perhaps greater or superior to those of Vstep, or what" ?   I don`t know!                 
     Don`t think I`m `knocking` SHIP SIM, I`m not. Ship Sim has given me hours of fun and will continue to do
 so.  I find the actual seagoing and cargo missions etc quite absorbing.  However, I do regard the jetski and speedboat stuff as `something for the kids`.  Oops ! What have I just said ?   I suspect that my last comment may raise some high feelings, or maybe even a full blown storm ?  Ah well !
Trampshipman

Tomaten

• Custom Mission Managers
Re: Resources and capabilities of Ubisoft v Vstep.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 15:22:23 »

Ubisoft is a bigger company, and have been developed those games for alot longer time then the SS games.
SS is on it's way. It got loads of potential, just give it some time to develop.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 15:24:19 by Tomaten »
We're the cool group  8)
Tuuuuuuut Tuuuuuuuuuut!
Also known as Tomaten 2006 from the old Ship Simulator 2006 forum.[/c

clanky

• Forum member
Re: Resources and capabilities of Ubisoft v Vstep.
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 15:58:55 »

Comparing Silent Hunter and Ship Sim is like comparing apples and oranges, one is a game which has minimal physics and is all about the gameplay and the other is a simulator which has very accurate physics and is all about the handling characteristics.  The computational power required to produce each frame in the two games is hugely different.

That said I don't think getting the wake right would actually be all that difficult in terms of computational power, there must already be a calculation happening to position the wake so surely it would only just be a matter of changing this calculation rather than adding lots of stuff in?

The game is developing all the time, let's wait and see what SSE brings.

As for the speed boat and the jetski I couldn't agree more.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines