Hello Guest June 10, 2024, 04:36:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two Boat Improvement Ideas.  (Read 1606 times)

boatsimrocks25

• Forum member
Two Boat Improvement Ideas.
« on: March 24, 2010, 20:56:15 »

Hey Ship Creators,
I was wondering if you could make a boat like the “Marbella Delight™” that would have a Stern Drive Engine that may or may not be visible and allow it to rise and lower to go into shallow areas that you might not be able to get into if it was trimmed down.

Also I think a great add-on for the speedboats and the luxury boats would be to install “Trim Tabs”, because with the speedboat and the “Marbella Delight™”. You hit that certain speed and all visibility of what is in front of you disappear. I know it might take some work to do. But I can guarantee that it would be a perfect update/patch for all the boats like the powerboat and even the rescue boats (“Arie Visser™” and “Pioneer™”) I know some people would enjoy being able to drive them without having to be in the outside camera while at full speed.  However, above all boats in the game, the powerboat needs them the most. Please take the time to think about this, I am not demanding that they be installed I am simply just thinking of ideas that would be pretty nice to have in the future or sooner. Thanks Much.

Sincerely, Boatsimrocks25
"Ship Sim Extremes Woohoo!"

"Oceana© is and always will be my Favorite Ship in the Ship Sim© Series

mvsmith

Re: Two Boat Improvement Ideas.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 23:15:49 »

Does not depressing the bow of the powerboat just so you can see defeat the purpose of the exercise?

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 23:57:35 »

I am with boatsim on this one, not being able to trim both flaps and stern drive was a little bit disappointing, they have it in GTA IV, so this game should be able to easily make it(maybe not, I'm no expert). Also I'm just going to throw this here, when I visited the maritime college here in the Faroe Islands, I got the chance to try their simulator, I noticed that the water jet boat had one control for engine RPM and also one control for the output on the stern, I think this would be nice to have here.

thanks to Tore/TJK for this awesome sig

mvsmith

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 00:11:29 »

Hi Minime,

The attitude of the powerboat is controlled by the dynamics computations, which are quite complex as they are now. It is not a simple matter of having a number to represent the vertical angle of the boat. That angle has to be calculated before every frame is rendered based upon the speed of the boat and the state of the sea.
The actual hydrodynamics of the trim mechanism would need to be modeled.

Regards,
Marty

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 00:27:52 »

where do you get this stuff from Marty? Anyway that makes perfect sense, even though I might not understand each and every word you just spoke, though I think I understand it. So I guess this would be a bit too much to ask for at this present time, thanks for explaining.

thanks to Tore/TJK for this awesome sig

mvsmith

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 01:40:49 »

I got that stuff from beta testing Pro and messing around with the dynamics editor.

I don’t think many of the users realize that the position, speed, and attitude are calculated before every frame is rendered. The calculations are pretty much the same as those done in a professional maritime training simulator; they are not the very simplified approximations that you see in most games.

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 09:17:42 »

I'm sure this has been discussed before.
Almost never here, try here.

mvsmith

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 12:20:13 »

I'm sure this has been discussed before.

I’m sure it has been McG. I’m sure the fact that it has been discussed before has also been discussed before.
Unfortunately, few people joining the forum bother to see what has been discussed before. That is why we see requests, or demands, for “patches” that “should be easy to do”.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines