Hello Guest October 18, 2024, 13:27:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SS2008 Review in PC Zone (56K Warning!!)  (Read 1993 times)

Orinoco

• Forum member
SS2008 Review in PC Zone (56K Warning!!)
« on: August 12, 2007, 11:21:45 »

Here's the SS2008 review in PC Zone, a leading UK PC games publication:

The text of the review (if you can't read the above):

I'm a massive fan of progress bars. I love the way that 'minutes left' reports can drop minutes in seconds as the computer revises its estimate as it has a longer and more accurate sample to extrapolate from. My favourite is two progress bars at once, one for overall progress, and one for the current task. God, I love progress bars. An ex-boyfriend even indulged this ill fixation by writing a Visual Basic program that allowed me to spend a pre-determined amount of time watching a bewitching array of progress bars.

I'm sharing way too much, but there is a point. I love Ship Simulator 2008, but it's that same feeling. The big-boat missions are a ponderous progress bar, with dozens of informative numbers to distract you from the virtual inaction on-screen. Smaller boats are more immediate fun, and now there's speedboats; it's hardly SSX Dumbyank Ramprider, but it's a welcome change of pace.

It's slicker, more varied and better-looking than its predecessor, and it still does what it sets out to do very well indeed. I suppose the passionate niche market might be willing to spoon out £35 frigging quid, but as much as this is a classic of its genre, it goes without saying that genre is realistic ship simulation. So you can take 64 as a genuinely high compliment. Oh, and read the manual.

64/100
Ship Shape
Jon Blyth

And here's SS2008's second appearance in the magazine, on the 'Chart Track' page:

Any truth in that comment, Vstep? ;)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 11:39:35 by Orinoco »

J3nsen

• Forum member
Re: SS2008 Review in PC Zone (56K Warning!!)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 11:55:27 »

Nice :D  ;D
http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,10335.250.html

sonarman

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 12:30:11 »

And that's what qualifies for a print review nowadays, no wonder nobody is buying printed magazines any more!

Orinoco

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 12:33:17 »

And that's what qualifies for a print review nowadays, no wonder nobody is buying printed magazines any more!

That's a small review, and it's quite tacky I'll admit. Some reviews are very good. Bioshock (and other big games) get anything from 2 to 6 full-page reviews (Bioshock got 6 pages).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines