Hello Guest September 19, 2024, 03:03:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: steering on fast ferry  (Read 2450 times)

smeggy

• Forum member
steering on fast ferry
« on: June 07, 2009, 13:39:26 »

on the red jet 4 is there any way to change the two control knobs to a wheel and throttle like on the pilot boat or police boat. I ask because I find it difficult to maneuver the ship in the walkthrough camera with the two knobs.

Shipaddict

• Forum member
Re: steering on fast ferry
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 14:20:03 »

I don't think there is any way to change it back to the other controls, sorry :(

I think you'll just have to manouver her in Cam 2. ;)

mvsmith

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 14:36:52 »

Even the driver of the real Red Jet has trouble steering her while he is walking about.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 16:32:52 »

smeggy,
Why would you want to drive the ship from anywhere except the helm. ??? As Marty says this is really a pointless question, as there is no way to steer and control any ship except this way. VStep have tried to make realistic control positions.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

matt5674

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 21:24:54 »

It is easier to control other ships, like Titanic, you can even control her in Camras 1 and 4. Ocean Star's Azimuth controls are reversed for turning port or starboard, but the hardest of all is the Red Jet 4's confusing conrtol knobs, that is why I hit the Up, Down, Left or Right buttons to move her, much more easier.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 07:46:34 »

I think, what he means is, it's very awkward to actually control the Red Jet 4 from the helm, as, unless you use the arrows to move both stick's at once, its a point and click operation with the mouse.

If that's your question, unfortunately, as Mike says, I don't think that can be changed.

Hope that helps.

Jack :)
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Nathan|C

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 17:15:22 »

Red Jet 4 is so quick and manouverable, I think it's best to manouver in camera 2, where with big ships that are slower, it's nice to steer them in camera 3, where you can move to the bridge wings and alter the controls.

matt5674

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 22:21:33 »

the Red Jet 4 is one of the fastest ship/boats in SS08, but the fastest is the Ducky, with a speed of 100Knots.

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 22:27:24 »

It is easier to control other ships, like Titanic, you can even control her in Camras 1 and 4. Ocean Star's Azimuth controls are reversed for turning port or starboard, but the hardest of all is the Red Jet 4's confusing conrtol knobs, that is why I hit the Up, Down, Left or Right buttons to move her, much more easier.

I find Red Eagle the most confusing but you can use I think t is precision steering which locks the position of ithrottle or steering using the arrow keys

Thanks TJK!
Intel Core i7 930@ 2.8GHz, 12GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz, Asus P6X58D-E, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2 Win

mvsmith

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 22:40:39 »

Red Eagle is one of the easier ships to control, if you take the trouble to learn how. There is a lot of information on how Voith Schneider propulsion works, and on maneuvering the RE.
The ME tutorial tells how to steer from the camera 1 view, and INFO1.pdf tells how to steer from the aft control station.

matt5674

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 03:41:03 »

On Red Eagle, I use the right top steering wheel, turn it to port or starboard to turn, much better than the lef and right arrow keys. :thumbs:

TerryRussell

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 08:25:54 »

By learning the controls on Red Eagle, you can move it in absolutely any direction. It really is worth the effort of learning.

Go into Free Roam in an ocean environment and try it.  :thumbs:

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 07:34:00 »

Ahh Red Eagle is a right bit of fun ;D Last time I used it was a while ago, but I certainly remember how to control it :) :lol: Even though it was a bit of practice to get  going at first!

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

jcm2573

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 03:56:42 »

the Red Jet 4 is one of the fastest ship/boats in SS08, but the fastest is the Ducky, with a speed of 100Knots.
speaking about the ducky..... can someone send me a picture of it?
Hi, I'm Jcm2573. I usually play on the Solent servers of SS08. :captain:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines