Hello Guest June 26, 2024, 14:24:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Docking and Departing in Ship Simulator 2008  (Read 7337 times)

Timbo

• Forum member
Docking and Departing in Ship Simulator 2008
« on: August 09, 2007, 18:32:03 »

Hi,
   This was made by Yakolev1 not timbo found it on youtube,
   thought it would help us a lot though myself sill cannot get to do it correctly yet.

As follows - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TQL3ij8ogXc

This would be a lot of help if can master it.

Cheers Timbo  :)

andy_m

• Forum member
Re: Docking and Departing in Ship Simulator 2008
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 20:09:33 »

Learning that technique myself, managed to pull it off decently in the mission "Manouvering Skills". Finished with no damage on my first attempt....as we say in the RN, "You cant teach that!"  :P

Regards,
Andy
Why is the Rum ALWAYS gone?

Timbo

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 09:53:04 »

Hi Andy_m,
              Just to say did it great on the misson "Manouvering skills" same finished no damage first attempt,
must be beginners luck HeHeHe.

Cheers Timbo  :) :) :)

Gertjan

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 10:42:44 »

I do this by releasing all the aft and side mooring lines except for the one on the bow, i give a 50% forward thrust and let the ship pull itself out of its mooring position sideways, then backup until i have enough room to reverse turn around and head for sea.

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 14:10:57 »

Could a real life sailor (on big ships ... my experience on my 5 meters rib has nothing to see with this !!) confirm the way the ship is manoeuvered in the video ?

I'm a bit amazed ...

When I have to leave the peer, if the peer is on the port (left) side of the boat, I give little forward thrust, with rudder full LEFT, not full right. That makes the stern move away from the peer. I add bow thrusters full right, and that make the bow move away from the peer too, and here we go .

Thanks for real-life experienced advices !!

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 00:37:12 »

Try this thread

http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,1025.0.html

A certain Mr Groeenegaard has made some comments on it... he's a senior officer on a ferry so he might know a little about it :)

There are actually a few professional mariners on here, and they are pretty good at answering these sort of questions.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Gertjan

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 08:22:45 »

Hmm ill give that a try this evening.

My technique also works but i only tried it for real with vessels witch are 15 meters long max.
My fathers cutter (14,60m) i just need to put in forward gear and full left or right side rudder for it to pull itself out of its berth.

For our minesweeper (33m) above mentioned technique could be interesting, it doesnt have a bow or stern thrusters but it has 2 props.

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 08:59:59 »

A certain Mr Groeenegaard has made some comments on it... he's a senior officer on a ferry so he might know a little about it :)

Senior? I wish!  ;) I am only junior so far. On board these vessels it will require far more expirience to hold a senior officer position. Nevertheless I know how to do.  :)

Regards
groennegaard

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 20:13:00 »

Hello,
More than once, the difficulty for me is that explanations are (at least partially) lacking. To move the ship sideways (for instance to port, like docking, first part of the video), the bow is moved with the bowthruster, and the stern by rudder and propeller combination.
To move the stern of PoR to port, Timbo (or is it Yakovlev1) sets starboard prop in reverse, and in view of gaining no speed backwards, port prop is set forward. He then controls speed (aiming 0) and heading with the port propeller and the rudder. The rudder was set initially to port, in order to easily counter the high turning moment coming from the starboard propeller, greater than the moment due to the bowthruster.

He could have controlled the stern otherwise, setting rudder to starboard and starboard engine in forward to compensate the bowthruster turning moment, and controlling heading with the bowthruster and speed with the port engine in reverse. That method is closer to what one does with a single propeller/rudder.

Controlling direction and speed with an engine in forward seems to me easier than in reverse, but perhaps not for everyone?

And didnt I confuse things more? Hopefully was it understandable?
Regards,
Luc

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 21:30:11 »

You are right in general, LucAtC - but it depends a little bit on the rudders type. There are a few different types in use and for instance the Becker rudder system often works better with the shore side prop running ahead. But never mind that playing the game, we just have conventional rudders, I guess. ;)

Regards
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 12:26:50 »

Hi,

Well, first, thanks for your answers :)

I rewrite my question about the video ... Let's take the exemple of the first part of the video, berthing.

The text says : "Turn the steering wheel to the same side as the dock". I personnaly do exactly the opposite, and I don't understand why it can work the way Yakolev describes.

In the situation of the video (first part, docking) , If you turn the steering wheel to the same side as the dock (ie to PORT), that means the rudder will deviate the flow from the propeller set ahead to the LEFT, which should push the stern to the RIGHT, no ?? and that will make the stern move away from the peer.

I must add that, to my opinion, if you're at no speed, the rudder should have no effect with propellers runing backward, should it ?  when propellers run backward at no speed, there's no water flow effect that could have an incidence on the turning ... Or maybe I'm wrong ?

In summary, if I have to berth the PoR at a peer on my left, I :
1. set rudders full RIGHT
2. set port propeller AHEAD, to make my bow move to the LEFT,
3. set starboard propeller BACK, to prevent the ship from gaining speed,
4. set bow thruster full LEFT

Well, I hope I made myself clear ... Anyway that's a pretty interesting talk we have here :-))

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 12:28:43 by Denis »

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 12:39:41 »

In fact, I just red the link given by Stuart2007 ... If I well understood, I do exactly tthe same as described roennegaard, wich is rather different than what we see on the video.

I even believe that the behaviour of the ship as seen on the video is unrealistic ... The ship should not turn at zero speed with engine backwards, to my mind the rudder has no effect in that case ...

lx585x

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 14:02:30 »

what is the ship has bow thursters but only one prop? ???
what is the best way to dock then?

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 14:33:19 »

what is the ship has bow thursters but only one prop? ???
what is the best way to dock then?
Do like Denis has written, forgetting starboard propeller of course
When you gain (too much) speed forward, then stop and reverse
Regards,
Luc

Edit : Pay attention that in reverse, the transverse thrust effect well also tend to rotate your ship (generally clockwise), which can help your manoeuvre or not.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 14:41:45 by LucAtC »

svein76@online.no

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 01:07:23 »

My background is 1st and chief off jr on different types of ships and can add this:

In "real" life one can "split" the rudders. Then you can do the following if port side alongside and want to pull out:

1. set stb engine fwd (for example 20%), and stb rudder hard to port.

2. set port engine astern (f.eks 40%) and port rudder midships.

3. Adjust with bow thrusters.

In real life you can also do alot more to help manouvering, like using the springs, anchors etc.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines