Hello Guest September 16, 2024, 20:30:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ship Sim 08 with Windows 7 problem?? Help  (Read 1498 times)

rpmmatt

• Forum member
Ship Sim 08 with Windows 7 problem?? Help
« on: July 06, 2009, 23:34:11 »

Hi,

When I load up the splash screen freezes for about 2minutes before the game kicks in. Then it seemed fine in the menu screens. While playing the game runs for 10-15 seconds, then freezes for about 3 seconds then runs and freezes again.

It does this constantly, with any ship/mission and any graphics settings high or low. When alt-tabbed out of the game, it seems to be using about 90% of my RAM(I have 2Gb)  Also, I get no smoke effects, and a few model glitches. Mostly Titanic's nose is see through if seen from above.

Any  ideas if this is an Issue with 64-bit windows 7? I have Intel Quad core, 2Gb ram, nVidia 280GTX. I have re-installed, defragged, got latest drivers. Game ran fine under my old XP system.

Any idea's?

TerryRussell

Re: Ship Sim 08 with Windows 7 problem?? Help
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 23:51:42 »

Hi rmpmatt and welcome.

It's probably a flakey driver (maybe a video driver).

But that's somewhat of a guess. I don't think I can help much with this. As Windows 7 is still in Beta and it isn't a supported operating system, and all that.

But perhaps someone else has some experience of this?

TJK

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 01:02:07 »

HI rpmmatt and welcome

You have to little memory, Win 7 64 bit need 4gb
Microsoft say 2gb but it's to litle to run it good and if you shall have ss 08 on it then you most have at list 4gb to run right and i think you run Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit? that are memory hungry OS. You run a Intel Quad core watt are the speed of it? maybe it's to slow?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/system-requirements
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 01:09:06 by TJK »

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 01:10:50 »

Listen to those 2 they are computer geniuses :thumbs: Tore is correct XP takes 2 gb of ram, vista 64 needs 3, 4 is best so I imagine 7 is a tad more demanding, therefore requiring 4gb :thumbs:
Is your name matt too :doh:
Im Matt, there is a little Kentucky Matt aka matt5674 and there is Nzstryker I think his name is, hes new though now you Matts are taking over :2thumbs:
Cheers,
Matt, aka: NYC matt Capt. Matt, big matt  ;)

Thanks TJK!
Intel Core i7 930@ 2.8GHz, 12GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz, Asus P6X58D-E, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2 Win

matt5674

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 02:03:47 »

Hi,

When I load up the splash screen freezes for about 2minutes before the game kicks in. Then it seemed fine in the menu screens. While playing the game runs for 10-15 seconds, then freezes for about 3 seconds then runs and freezes again.

It does this constantly, with any ship/mission and any graphics settings high or low. When alt-tabbed out of the game, it seems to be using about 90% of my RAM(I have 2Gb)  Also, I get no smoke effects, and a few model glitches. Mostly Titanic's nose is see through if seen from above.

Any  ideas if this is an Issue with 64-bit windows 7? I have Intel Quad core, 2Gb ram, nVidia 280GTX. I have re-installed, defragged, got latest drivers. Game ran fine under my old XP system.

Any idea's?
Welcome to the forum rpmmatt.
Capt. Matt is right, TJK and TerryRussel are computer geniuses.

rpmmatt

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 12:59:41 »

Odd, as I find Windows 7 much less demanding on system resources than Vista. In a battle between XPv7 I get equal or superior performance in all other games. Just find it odd that Shipsim would struggle. 

I may have narrowed it down to sound driver issue but I'm not to sure yet. Creative drivers are rubbish at the moment, as it seems to freeze when changing engine speeds or doing something which makes a noise. i.e. the weather effects or Titanic's telegraph bell's.

On a side note, I repatched the game and my smoke has reappeared, so not sure what that was about.

Will keep you posted.

TJK

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 14:15:04 »

That are so, but remember you are using a Beta or a RC OS, not finish, it's only a test version, when it finish and released, maybe or maybe not it will be bather and vista? and the freezing, that can come on leek of memory, even the CPU core, it can happens if it change from one core to another core. And the RAM, well that are the minimum you need
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 14:22:05 by TJK »

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 14:52:00 »

In a battle between XPv7 I get equal or superior performance in all other games. Just find it odd that Shipsim would struggle. 

Ship Sim is also a pretty demanding game, so other games may run fine, ship sim requires higher specs for instance another PC game may only require a 2.0GHz processor as ship sim needs a minimum of 2.4 :-\ Simulations seem to be more demanding than other games.
Matt

Thanks TJK!
Intel Core i7 930@ 2.8GHz, 12GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz, Asus P6X58D-E, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2 Win

TerryRussell

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 17:52:35 »

As Win 7 is not a supported platform, I'll move this across to General Discussions.

It is possible that others may see this, who wouldn't look at it in Tech Support. You might get more feedbaack that way.  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines