Hello Guest September 08, 2024, 01:45:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LAN Play  (Read 5549 times)

EmeraldHunter

• Forum member
LAN Play
« on: January 02, 2010, 11:02:18 »

I know this topic has been sort of covered else where, it wa a while ago so I thought I´d just start a new thread.

I am on a ship, a real life, none gameplay ship, and me and my colleague both have the latest version of ship sim 2008. Is there any possible way to play a LAN game? We don´t have access to the internet at all...

Does any body know of any way?

I read in one of the other threads that you still need an internet connection? Is this right? anybody know how to create a virtual internet?

Please Help!

I can only read replies sporadically, when shore leave allows me to go in search of an internet cafe....

Thanks in advance.

EH

Captain Best

• Forum member
Re: LAN Play
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 11:09:09 »

Yes. Playing Requires an Internet Connection.

TJK

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 11:14:39 »

I know this topic has been sort of covered else where, it wa a while ago so I thought I´d just start a new thread.

I am on a ship, a real life, none gameplay ship, and me and my colleague both have the latest version of ship sim 2008. Is there any possible way to play a LAN game? We don´t have access to the internet at all...

Does any body know of any way?

I read in one of the other threads that you still need an internet connection? Is this right? anybody know how to create a virtual internet?

Please Help!

I can only read replies sporadically, when shore leave allows me to go in search of an internet cafe....

Thanks in advance.

EH

HI EmeraldHunter
welcome to us and a good New Year :2thumbs:
You can play LAN
set up the multyplay server, start it as a private server and manually connect to it with you ip address that your router/switch give then you shod make to play over a LAN
TJK
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 11:16:58 by TJK »

jammydodger

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 13:38:39 »

In other words, you HAVE to be connected to a router, even if it's not on the internet. I do that when my friends come round, we play games together on the computers connected on LAN by a non-internet router in the same room.
Basically:
Ingredients:
1x router + power wires
2x ethernet (wired internet) cables
SS2008 Server app
2x computers/laptops
How to:
1. Get the router up and running through a mains power socket.
2. Connect the each ethernet cable to the router from your computers/laptop. (in other words, 1 cable in your computer, other end in the router, same again for other laptop/computer)
3. Use one of the computers/laptops to start a private SS2008 server.
4. Check the IP address of the connection on that computer/laptop (internet settings in Control Panel)
5. Go onto SS2008 multiplayer on both laptops.
6. Use the laptop which ISN'T hosting the server to connect to the IP address you noted down earlier.
7. Have fun!
Back at last. Extremes all the way!

TJK

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 14:02:55 »

Thanks jammydodger

for a good user manual for LAN upset  :thumbs:
BDW you most let QV get trow your firewall and then your all can have fun
Happy Sailing
TJK

jammydodger

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 18:35:03 »

Thanks TJK. Maybe there could be some sort of guides section in the forum (one for each language) to have guides like this in, so we don't have to get asked again?

TJK

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 16:48:11 »

Thanks TJK. Maybe there could be some sort of guides section in the forum (one for each language) to have guides like this in, so we don't have to get asked again?

yes wee will and i wait for you mail with it in  :2thumbs:

TerryRussell

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 16:58:58 »

Hi EmeraldHunter.

Actually, I think you should be able to do this with just two PCs and no router. One PC must be the server. You should assign it a fixed IP address and make sure that both PCs are on the same network mask (so one might be 192.168.0.1 and the other 192.168.1.1, both with a mask of say 255.255.255.0).

You'd need to connect the network RJ45 sockets of both PCs via a cross-over cable.

Also, bear in mind that while it is possible to run the server and the simulator on the same PC, it needs to be a fast one with lots of memory or else things may get very jerky.

I haven't tried this out, but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

jammydodger

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 17:32:37 »

I prefer to do it without cables.... Less fuss.. Plus you don't have to hunt down a specific cable with my method - you can buy ethernet cables everywhere!  :P  :thumbs:

EmeraldHunter

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 10:00:35 »

Hi Guys,

Firstly thanks for all the replies... I have a few questions about one or two of them though,

The Router: (jammydodger)

I'll try this, but trying to find first a shop that sells routers, and then finding a compatible router, in China, where everything is in Chinese might prove a little difficult...

The NonRouter: TerryRussell

I have a crossover cable, but I have absolutely no idea how to assign a fixed IP address...

Any chance you could give me a step by step method?

Also, would this mess up any wireless connections?

Sorry to ask so many questions....

Normally i would google away with solid perserverance until i did it, but I can only access the internet for a few hours every couple of days....

Cheers in advance

EH

TJK

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 10:09:49 »

HI
Here you have a English store list for  Zyxel products, here you will find a good router http://www.zyxel.co.uk/web/wtb.php?CategoryNo=OTCA2006038

and here you can find and Locate a Reseller near you
http://www.zyxel.co.uk/web/resellerresults.php

TJK
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 10:13:08 by TJK »

EmeraldHunter

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 16:49:49 »

HI
Here you have a English store list for  Zyxel products, here you will find a good router http://www.zyxel.co.uk/web/wtb.php?CategoryNo=OTCA2006038

and here you can find and Locate a Reseller near you
http://www.zyxel.co.uk/web/resellerresults.php

TJK

Thanks, but that website is only for the UK... I tried get the lsit of chinese resellers, but the page is in chinese.

Thanks though...

TJK

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 17:41:52 »

Thanks, but that website is only for the UK... I tried get the lsit of chinese resellers, but the page is in chinese.

Thanks though...

HI
Yes that's ok
Why Chinese, i toot you were from UK? i have look on all www.dlink.com  and more all are in Chinese
but you can try goggle translate

EmeraldHunter

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 18:27:07 »

...I'm from the UK, but my ship is trading around China, Korea, Japan and Malaysia.

TJK

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 18:48:09 »

I see, but if you go on land visit a shop ?
Maybe the easiest to do and hope they can speak English
or vait to you get home 
TJK

mvsmith

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 19:01:09 »

If your ship will hit Japan soon, you should have no trouble.

TerryRussell

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 23:19:49 »

I prefer to do it without cables.... Less fuss.. Plus you don't have to hunt down a specific cable with my method - you can buy ethernet cables everywhere!  :P  :thumbs:

A cross-over cable is an ethernet cable (the proper name is RJ45, for the cables and the plugs/sockets). And presumably you have an RJ45 that connects your PC to your router (unless it's a 802.11 or similar radio system). And you can usually buy a cross-over cable anywhere you can buy a "normal" RJ45 cable. They look identical.

The NonRouter: TerryRussell

I have a crossover cable, but I have absolutely no idea how to assign a fixed IP address...

Any chance you could give me a step by step method?

Also, would this mess up any wireless connections?

No you won't mess up the wireless connections if you do it correctly. The wireless and cable adapters have separate lives under Windows.

It's fairly easy. This is the description for XP in Classic view for control panel. Vista will be similar and the non-classic view will be similar, but the icons in Control Panel will be grouped differently.

You need to get to the network connections for your LAN adapater (not the wireless one). In classic view, go to Control Panel => Network Connections => Local Area Connection.  That will bring up a dialog box. Under the General tab, click Properties. Another dialog box will come up. Under its General tab, you will see a list of protocols. One of them in the list will be Internet Protocol TCP/IP. Double click on that.

Click "Use the following P address" and enter 192.168.1.1 for the first PC (it doesn't really matter which) and 192.168.1.2 on the other. Under the Subnet mask, enter 255.255.255.0. The Default Gateway doesn't really matter but set it to 192.168.1.1 on both PCs.

The DNS setting also is irrelevant but again, enter 192.168.1.1 in the Preferred DNS server for both machines. Leave Alternate DNS server empty.

Click OK several thousand times (OK, I exagerate!), and then plug in the cable. Probably best to restart both machines but that may not be necessary.

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 07:44:08 »

Couldn't you use an ad hoc network?

I would say how to, but I only use ad hoc with my iPod so I can use iTunes Remote on the go...

It saves using a cable...
Almost never here, try here.

EmeraldHunter

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 17:50:38 »

It's fairly easy. This is the description for XP in Classic view for control panel. Vista will be similar and the non-classic view will be similar, but the icons in Control Panel will be grouped differently.

Lol, I'm running Windows 7. But I'm sure it's essentially the same, and I can blunder my round until I find what I'm looking for...

We tried using an ad hoc network, but it wasn't having any of it what so ever, we could connect to it, but that was a far as we got.

I'll let y'all know if it works next time, which will be in a couple of weeks...

Thanks again!

J3nsen

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 18:13:00 »

I think Vstep should make a own choose for Lan game, new games with Multi player have also Lan choose. Multi Player and Private Multi game. Make it a lot easy for user that would have lan some day.

TerryRussell

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 18:36:44 »

Lol, I'm running Windows 7. But I'm sure it's essentially the same, and I can blunder my round until I find what I'm looking for...

We tried using an ad hoc network, but it wasn't having any of it what so ever, we could connect to it, but that was a far as we got.

I'll let y'all know if it works next time, which will be in a couple of weeks...

Thanks again!

Fingers crossed!

I think Vstep should make a own choose for Lan game, new games with Multi player have also Lan choose. Multi Player and Private Multi game. Make it a lot easy for user that would have lan some day.

There is no difference between "LAN play" and doing it across the internet. It's purely a question of setting your own local network correctly. Internal IP addresses or external, it makes no difference to any networkable game.  :thumbs:

J3nsen

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 20:39:57 »

I know. But like this.

Here can you Join Internet (crated servers for online), Join local (if you have in same house), Crate local (To crate game for local)

Rent server is not needed. So long you can make own server.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines