Hello Guest September 16, 2024, 20:44:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steering wheel or joystick?  (Read 5222 times)

davaaris

• Forum member
Steering wheel or joystick?
« on: May 23, 2009, 15:04:37 »

I am about to buy Ship Simulator. Do I also need a joystick or steering wheel? If so which one is recommended please?

Traddles

• Global Moderator
Re: Steering wheel or joystick?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 15:17:54 »

Hi davaaris,
Welcome to the forum and to SS 2008. In fact you do not need a joystick or a steering wheel. You can quite happily use the controls which appear on screen for each ship or you can use the keyboard in the way described here:-

http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,2886.0.html

I have played the game since it first came out without any fancy expensive equipment. Of course if you wish you can buy the joystick &/or steering wheel but there is really no necessity to do so, the game is quite self contained. As I have neither of these items I cannot make any suggestions, but I am sure you will find that somebody will offer help in this direction.

Angus.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 15:26:14 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

davaaris

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 15:37:30 »

Thanks Angus. I'll take your advice and  just buy the game for now.

TerryRussell

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 11:57:00 »

In support of what Angus has said, although I have a joystick and games pads etc, I always play Ship Simulator using the keyboard.

If you don't like the default arrangement of keys, you can easily change it around. Because I am used to Train Simulator, where the horn is the space bar, I changed the key from "H" to "Space bar" in Ship Simulator. I also moved some of the other keys to be the same as in SHip SImulator 2006. But it's all personal choice.

Enjoy the Simulator!  :thumbs:

Capetan Thanasis

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 18:29:47 »

Hi davaaris,
Welcome to the forum. As Terry and Angus say, you can play SS08 very well using the keyboard and mouse without any expensive equipment. For almost 2 years I use keyboard and mouse, but some days before I bought and use a steering wheel. I must say that the sense is wonderful. Now I think that I will not enjoy the simulator the same, without the steering wheel. After that I think it will be more joyful using a double lever remote control for the two-engine ships. I am searching, but I have not find the proper one yet.
Enjoy the Simulator! :captain:

Best Regards

Thanasis

davaaris

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 18:32:44 »

Thanks for your advice guys. I have ordered the simulator and should receive it in the next day or so. I have never played a computer game before so I am really looking forward to it.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 19:02:57 »

Well, it is a great game, so it is well worth the wait.

I have to say, has anyone tried Red Jet 4 with a double Joystick control. I bet that would be good

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 21:01:10 »

Hi guys,

as many people said, keyboard and mouse are nice to play ship simulator.

in my opinion, no wheel can fit the need of ship simulator, as the wheels you have onboard ships don't react like those you have on a car (they don't reset to neutral when you release them).

As Capetan Thanasis said, the most enjoyable is a double lever controller for two-engine ships. And for this, I can recommend you this hardware, made by saitek (initially made for flight simulation, but works perfectly well with ship sim too) :

http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/quad.htm

regards,

Denis

Second Mate

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 11:33:44 »

i use a combination of wheel & keys/mouse (for the throttle) for most ships, but for azipod stuff I use just keys.

i use the wheel with the power disconnected so it doesn't spring back to midships, for me this gives the most realistic feel to the game & allows me to leave the wheel in one position e.g 10 degrees rudder without having to hold it there, but everybody like different controls, so my advice is use the keys first & see how you get on.

davaaris

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 18:13:14 »

Thanks again everyone. I'm really looking forward to getting this game.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 18:34:08 »

Hi davaaris,
I feel certain you will not be disappointed when the game arrives. Remember, if you have any queries when you set up, there will always be willing help on hand here on the forum. If you derive as much pleasure from the game as most of us have you will be well pleased. :2thumbs:

Angus.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

davaaris

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 23:40:09 »

Hi Guys.  I received the game today and it is brilliant. I saved a man from drowning, dropped the pilot off at a ship in the Solent and I had a gentle cruise around Rotterdam harbour. I used to be in the Royal Navy so that took me back. I was also on the police marine unit in Portsmouth so the missions in the Solent are particularly pleasing.

TerryRussell

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 23:56:41 »

Hi Davaaris.

There are also a lot of add-ons and improvements available.

At Creators Forum (run by myself with most of the senior members of this forum) there are more than a hundred quality tested missions, various improvements for vessels and other goodies. Click on the link in my signature, below to go there.

Via the "Updates & Patches" link
http://www.shipsim.com/downloads/patches.php
you can download improved radio sounds (I recorded all the 12 hours of Solent ones from my boat going up and down the Solent and from the top of the hill overlooking Portsmouth Harbour - I'm from Selsey).

You can also download improved ship horns from that same page (Go to the User Content section).

davaaris

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 16:02:14 »

Hi Guys
I tried to play the simulator today but each time I try to load a mission I get told that it has stopped working. Any advice?

davaaris

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 16:07:04 »

Hi again. Specifically it says Questviewer.exe has stopped working. Is there something I need to down load perhaps?

TerryRussell

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 16:38:06 »

Hi davaaris.

You'll need to post your question in the Technical Support area (register your profile here first and then you'll be able to access the area).

I'll see you over there.

davaaris

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 19:39:08 »

Hi Terry. How do I register? I thought I had already created a profile.

TerryRussell

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 21:35:07 »

You have now. But you hadn't when I posted my message.

Maniac

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 11:05:50 »

Well, it is a great game, so it is well worth the wait.

I have to say, has anyone tried Red Jet 4 with a double Joystick control. I bet that would be good

My dad comes home from auctions with stuff, I've gotten a steering wheel and pedals, and 2 joysticks that way. I can rig up almost anything for any ship. (And I didn't have to pay a cent ;D) (too bad ship simulator only accepts two joysticks at a time. Or maybe that's my computer.  :P)

Although my steering wheel has a spring to return it to center, so on the big ships that don't require rapid steering, I just use the mouse.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 11:10:17 by Maniac »

steveboston

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 20:54:31 »

In case this is of help to anyone I have tried many ways of controlling the sim. The easiest I find is to use the on-screen control icons, moved with the mouse. that way they stay set wherever I want them to be.
I also use a simple USB gamepad set up to let the sticks give me independent control of two motors and two rudders (or waterjets or V.S. Propulsion and so forth). I also set up the front buttons for fwd and aft thrusters (all or nothing thrust each way) and the rest for showing or hiding the map and other details.
For normal sailing I use the mouse and for docking etc. or for fast boats I use the gamepad.
Somewhere over the rainbow,
weigh a pie.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines