Hello Guest September 21, 2024, 03:47:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QuestViewer - reply  (Read 872 times)

mvsmith

QuestViewer - reply
« on: February 23, 2009, 20:05:25 »

Hi Steiny,

I should clarify one point: When you say “…between the frames QuestViewer is working on other things…”, The important point is that it is not QuestViewer that is working—it is the routines that are initiated by QV to compute the positions of all moving objects. These routines are not part of QV.

Not only must they supply QV with the new coordinates of each object, but also the attitude—roll, pitch, and yaw—for each ship in range. They must also resolve any AI conflicts. These routines, such as newton.dll, account for the bulk of the frame time. They are the main cause of QV crashes because when they fail—from a divide-by-zero error, for instance—they return an error code to QV that causes QV to abort and report the failing routine.

Because Windows always reports the crash as a “QuestViewer” failure, those whose knowledge of software is minimal blame QV for all problems.

Regards,
Marty

[SJ]Stein

• Forum member
Re: QuestViewer - reply
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 20:48:32 »

Thanks for answering sir, explains a whole lot more to a software noob like me, that newton.dll has popped up here quite a few times. I was even trying to find a substitute at one point, which did not help.

Made me hate the jetski even more as if i'd turn too fast i'd hit a wall or ship on the outside.. and if i'd turn too tight it would scrape the paint off another ship in that rotterdam race.. either way... crash to desktop.

some of the missions encounter the same stuff, as soon as you come towards a waypoint, a certain waypoint it just pops out(CTD), like there is supposed to come something steaming fast towards you, but it's not loading properly.  It's eary and didn't want to make me do any more missions.. hence the deckhand class i'm on.. ;D
was trying to get my towingcraft upto date, but the bargemissions seem to take the mickey outtof me as well.

I'm quite sure though that the newton.dll wasn't the only problem that caused QV to close... it's been a while.. sorry.

Regards,

Steiny

TerryRussell

Re: QuestViewer - reply
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 23:25:38 »

Hi Steiny.

Bear in mind that the reason newton.dll causes a Questviewer error report may not mean that newton.dll is misbehaving. In all the cases I've looked at, the problem has been some error in the PC's setup. Sometimes a hardware issue, more often a software installation error.

When you consider the billions of potential software installation problems and the total freedom that we all have to install things in a potentialy conflicting order without ever being aware of it, the miracle is that problems are so rare.

For all it's shortcomings, Windoze copes magnificently. The MAC range rely on a limited number of tightly-controlled programs being sintalled, so as to reduce their problems. No freedom and much higher prices for users, but less things to go wrong.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines