Hello Guest June 25, 2024, 07:41:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red Eagle - Bow Thrusters!?  (Read 1760 times)

Nathan|C

Red Eagle - Bow Thrusters!?
« on: February 24, 2009, 02:49:36 »

I've seen pictures of the real Red Eagle ferry which clearly show the white crossed bow thruster symbol at both ends of the ship - but surely a ship like the Red Eagle with the Voith Schneider setup has all the manouverability it needs without having Tunnel thrusters? Am i missing something?

firestar12

Re: Red Eagle - Bow Thrusters!?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 02:57:47 »

I've seen pictures of the real Red Eagle ferry which clearly show the white crossed bow thruster symbol at both ends of the ship - but surely a ship like the Red Eagle with the Voith Schneider setup has all the manouverability it needs without having Tunnel thrusters? Am i missing something?
I am on the same page as you are. I have no idea. They could be backups but a highly doubt it.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 03:06:42 »

As far as I know, the Red Eagle has only 2 Voith Schneider propellors (indeed it needs no more)
If you are talking about these symbols, I suspect they refer to the VSP's..(as you can see by the wash below the symbol)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 03:09:44 by saltydog »

ADDUBYA

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 05:03:44 »

I think you are correct saltydog. Those are thruster marks, not necessarily bow thruster marks. They are often displayed on vessels to warn of a continuously turning propulsion system. I have seen the marks on tractor tugs as well as on the quarter of some ships with CP props.

muns

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 09:58:30 »

I think you are correct saltydog. Those are thruster marks, not necessarily bow thruster marks. They are often displayed on vessels to warn of a continuously turning propulsion system. I have seen the marks on tractor tugs as well as on the quarter of some ships with CP props.

As said, the Raptor class ferries do NOT have any other propulsion other than 2 VS units.  The marks are indicators to their location.

Nathan|C

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 16:08:45 »

Thanks for the info guys, I thought this must of been the case

firestar12

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 16:10:51 »

Is this symbol visible in the SS08 model? I can't find them.

Nathan|C

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 16:19:41 »

No, a lot of the symbols are missing in the game, probably for poly reasons. Some of the ships do have the symbols though, like the Vermaas, Latitude, Sherpa and RPA.

firestar12

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 16:32:26 »

No, a lot of the symbols are missing in the game, probably for poly reasons. Some of the ships do have the symbols though, like the Vermaas, Latitude, Sherpa and RPA.
Maybe one day we will be able to handel more polys.  :-\

Nathan|C

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 16:33:36 »

I guess it depends what graphics engine the game is using - maybe in SS2010, but these symbols are hardly important.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 16:54:57 »

Look again.. ;D

mvsmith

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 19:05:36 »

If the symbols are part of the texture, it is hard to understand how they could affect the poly count.

firestar12

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 19:09:49 »

If the symbols are part of the texture, it is hard to understand how they could affect the poly count.
I was going to say that...I seemed to have gotten side-tracked. :-\ But it is good to have as few textures as possible. Maybe they are part of the original texture.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines