Hello Guest September 08, 2024, 02:04:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ship dynamics  (Read 1885 times)

mattug

• Forum member
ship dynamics
« on: July 08, 2007, 22:24:15 »

I just have to say that the steering is a aibt unreal. If u put the rudde for exempel 10 degress to port the rate of turn slightly increasing but inteh game one you put 10 degress the rate of turn does jus t stay att the same all the time. And the rate of turn is eaven a littlebit to slow for many of the ships.

Brgs

Mattias

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
Re: ship dynamics
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 23:01:17 »

Hello,
The handling didnt change much from ShipSim2006, indeed. I also tried to stop the tanker Latitude from full ahead and reversing, and without steering or autopilot ( ;D). The ship stayed remarkably well on course, showing that there is no transverse thrust screw effect, and also no delays to stop the shaft and/or to reverse the screw rotation (engine?, pitch?, steam?).
But the lack of effectiveness of the rudder when the screw is stopped is somewhat  :-\ disturbing, as is the difficulty to use both rudders of Pride of Rotterdam. Not to speak of  :'( the Red Eagle backwards handling?
A lesser regret is the Union Jack at the stern of Red Jet, instead of (what now?  ??? Red Ensign?).
Perhaps  ::) is a ship's parameters editor being prepared, together or after the mission editor?
Anyway, it was worth  :D the waiting, although I didnt see many improvements in the manoeuvring characteristics.
Regards,
Luc

Shibby

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 13:35:54 »

I just bought shipsim 2008 and I also played around abit with shipsim 2006. As a merchant sailor in real life I was very disappointed with the ship dynamics in SS2006, it looks that some things have improved in the 2008 version bit still it is far away from perfect.

The realism and ship dynamics are still a big issue but the game is young and I see improvements so keep up the good work.

Cheers,
Shibby

Cloud

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 19:34:59 »

Hi Shibby,

I fully agree with you, both from the perspective that it's disappointing if you are comparing to the real world, but, also very encouraging to see so much interest, improvement and determination to make this relatively young game something exceptional!  :)

Whatever the case, i use to only get the opportunity to "train" in a bridge simulator once every couple years. But being able to just boot up and try any old stunt i want is just too fantastic! Think of the alternative.... ;D

Cheers,

Larse Klaoud
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 19:37:39 by Cloud »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 22:28:42 »

I've noticed that PoR roll in waves is quite excessive (even modelled without stabilisers) and that pitching is non existent.

But since I've never 'driven' a ferry, I can't say how realistic the rest is.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines