Hello Guest September 21, 2024, 14:50:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Greetings! &nd the Trans-Atlantic ...  (Read 2549 times)

Chrystine

• Forum member
Greetings! &nd the Trans-Atlantic ...
« on: November 06, 2008, 16:55:03 »

Ahoy all!

First the greeting, since this is my first Post here.

I’m ‘still’ impatiently awaiting the arrival of my SS 2008, which should be here any day now.
  This is & will all (mostly) be quite new to me – as Sims go – but I’m genuinely excited about it and getting started.  I’ve spent years in flight sims, but honestly, I’m far more keen on boating (re: ships, per se, which I also greatly love – I’m as yet woefully ignorant – but I’ll learn!).

I’ve already downloaded the Patch v1.0-1.4.2 (to save time once I get the program installed), as well as the two ‘User Created’ D/L’s – the improved horns and (English) radio chatter – which all sound great to me from what I’ve read.

As you all seem a friendly and helpful group – with a wide scope of knowledge represented here, I wonder whether I might ask a couple very basic questions?

Aside from the above mentioned files already downloaded and here (im)patiently waiting with me! – are there any other much-recommended downloads I might wish to have as well?

&nd my second question for the day – if I may? ..Is it possible in SS. 2008 to ‘actually’ make the Trans-Atlantic crossing?  My impression, from what little I’ve been able to read as yet, is that it’s not possible in ‘one continuous run.’(?)
  If this is so – is it possible to at least ‘simulate’ the crossing somehow?  &nd if so – how best?
  I ask because I Really enjoy making that crossing!

Thanks very much for any help & replies..!

Chrystine

(Please feel free to address me using the shortened version my friends use, if you like & prefer – Tina).

Shipaddict

• Forum member
Re: Greetings! &nd the Trans-Atlantic ...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 17:23:51 »

Hiya, and a warm welcome to the forum :)

I would recommend New Horizons Add-On, and additional ships from the ship yard, but you do have to pay for them though ;)

What you can do, is start in Southampton, once you get to the end of the Solent, a globe comes up asking where next, so you pick the Atlantic, once you get to the end of that, you go to NY etc etc ;)

You can't do it without reloading to a different environment :)

Hope this helps,
SA

mvsmith

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 17:58:14 »

Hi Tina,
After you have received and registered your SS 2008, you will have access to more downloads that you might find useful. A moderator will give you further instructions and a list of recommended topics to read.

Two PDF documents that will help you in operating some vessels and in completing missions can be downloaded from here:

http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,2886.0.html

As Shipaddict said, there is no way to sail long distances in a single environment, with one exception that I’ll explain another time.

Environments are usually no more than 15 nautical miles, or less, in extent. You can leave one environment and enter another through a process that takes quite a few seconds while the new environment is loaded into memory and initialized.

A number of creators have made missions covering many environments to effect world travel.
“Titanic 2” takes a modern replica across the Atlantic in 2012 through five environments: The Solent, English Channel, Atlantic, New York North Atlantic, and New York. It takes about 4 ½ hours to complete.

Welcome & Good Luck,
Regards,
Marty

Chrystine

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 18:38:09 »

Hi S.A. and Marty!

Thanks so much for the kind & helpful replies!

Yes, N.H!  Of course I’ve an eye on that and much intend to purchase it, once assured that SS 2008 will run on this box without any issues (as it exceeds the min. sys. Reqs., I can’t imagine why there’ll be any issues to sort – but still, seemed prudent to check first).  More than any other reason, I WANT SS 2008 above all else for the fishing! ..so I’ll need it.
  Perhaps, now even more glad I chose to hold-off thus on picking up N.H., as I believe it was Marty(?) I just read elsewhere, suggesting that the SS 2008 CE is a ‘better deal.’  So I’ll have to look into that option too; perhaps a better option than ‘just’ N.H.(?)

Paying for any additional ships (or environments) from the Shipyard is certainly no problem – anyway – what’s 5 Euro in u.s.d. now?  ..a pittance.

“What you can do, is start in Southampton, once you get to the end of the Solent, a globe comes up asking where next, so you pick the Atlantic, once you get to the end of that, you go to NY etc etc.

“You can't do it without reloading to a different environment.
”

That’s perfect!  Pretty much just the sort of ‘solution’ I had started generally forming… That should do just fine – all things considered.  Maybe ‘crossing’ the ‘Atlantic’ several times then N.Y.
  Thanks very much for that!

“ After you have received and registered your SS 2008, you will have access to more downloads that you might find useful. A moderator will give you further instructions and a list of recommended topics to read.”

That sounds great!  Thanks!
  Will do! ..&nd I look forward to it.
  Thank you also for the helpful link to the *.pdf’s.

You guys might think I’m ‘awful,’ but I’m not too sure I’ll really care much or anything about  any ‘missions.’  (Never know though!).
  I’m lost in daydreams about free-roaming – which is much more my Spirit (and interest).
  But I may well try some missions – even despite myself – just for the educational value.  My husband may really enjoy the missions however – he has a natural (and educational) bent towards the technical, etc – and is Vastly more intelligent than I am.

“As Shipaddict said, there is no way to sail long distances in a single environment, with one exception that I’ll explain another time.”

Thanks! :)
  I’ll greatly appreciate that & look forward to it.  I do love the long(er) cruises…

“Environments are usually no more than 15 nautical miles, or less, in extent. You can leave one environment and enter another through a process that takes quite a few seconds while the new environment is loaded into memory and initialized.”

Golly… 15 nms?  Much smaller than I’d imagined: but – ehhh… *shrugging.*
  I’m one who generally just does her utmost to appreciate what there IS, than pout & fuss over whatever may be thought ‘lacking.’  So – it is what it is – find and make the best of it!
  “..a process that takes quite a few seconds while the new environment is loaded into memory and initialized:” ..Well – perhaps not ‘ideal,’ but I’ve done it hundreds upon hundreds of times coming back into Port in SH3.  ..Again, it just is the way it is. So...!  :)

Maybe I’ll reach a point of trying to create my own ‘mission(s),’ as well.  A lot depends on how complex and difficult that is.  I’m not an idiot (usually – have my moments tho’!) – nor any genius, and I can Not do ‘math’ – so will just see!

I do much appreciate both of your kind replies however – thanks again very much!

Best regards,
  Chrystine

Nathan|C

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 19:26:57 »

Hi S.A. and Marty!

Yes, N.H!  Of course I’ve an eye on that and much intend to purchase it, once assured that SS 2008 will run on this box without any issues (as it exceeds the min. sys. Reqs., I can’t imagine why there’ll be any issues to sort – but still, seemed prudent to check first).  More than any other reason, I WANT SS 2008 above all else for the fishing! ..so I’ll need it.
  Perhaps, now even more glad I chose to hold-off thus on picking up N.H., as I believe it was Marty(?) I just read elsewhere, suggesting that the SS 2008 CE is a ‘better deal.’  So I’ll have to look into that option too; perhaps a better option than ‘just’ N.H.(?)

Paying for any additional ships (or environments) from the Shipyard is certainly no problem – anyway – what’s 5 Euro in u.s.d. now?  ..a pittance.

“What you can do, is start in Southampton, once you get to the end of the Solent, a globe comes up asking where next, so you pick the Atlantic, once you get to the end of that, you go to NY etc etc.

“You can't do it without reloading to a different environment.
”

That’s perfect!  Pretty much just the sort of ‘solution’ I had started generally forming… That should do just fine – all things considered.  Maybe ‘crossing’ the ‘Atlantic’ several times then N.Y.
  Thanks very much for that!

“ After you have received and registered your SS 2008, you will have access to more downloads that you might find useful. A moderator will give you further instructions and a list of recommended topics to read.”

That sounds great!  Thanks!
  Will do! ..&nd I look forward to it.
  Thank you also for the helpful link to the *.pdf’s.

You guys might think I’m ‘awful,’ but I’m not too sure I’ll really care much or anything about  any ‘missions.’  (Never know though!).
  I’m lost in daydreams about free-roaming – which is much more my Spirit (and interest).
  But I may well try some missions – even despite myself – just for the educational value.  My husband may really enjoy the missions however – he has a natural (and educational) bent towards the technical, etc – and is Vastly more intelligent than I am.

“As Shipaddict said, there is no way to sail long distances in a single environment, with one exception that I’ll explain another time.”

Thanks! :)
  I’ll greatly appreciate that & look forward to it.  I do love the long(er) cruises…

“Environments are usually no more than 15 nautical miles, or less, in extent. You can leave one environment and enter another through a process that takes quite a few seconds while the new environment is loaded into memory and initialized.”

Golly… 15 nms?  Much smaller than I’d imagined: but – ehhh… *shrugging.*
  I’m one who generally just does her utmost to appreciate what there IS, than pout & fuss over whatever may be thought ‘lacking.’  So – it is what it is – find and make the best of it!
  “..a process that takes quite a few seconds while the new environment is loaded into memory and initialized:” ..Well – perhaps not ‘ideal,’ but I’ve done it hundreds upon hundreds of times coming back into Port in SH3.  ..Again, it just is the way it is. So...!  :)

Maybe I’ll reach a point of trying to create my own ‘mission(s),’ as well.  A lot depends on how complex and difficult that is.  I’m not an idiot (usually – have my moments tho’!) – nor any genius, and I can Not do ‘math’ – so will just see!

I do much appreciate both of your kind replies however – thanks again very much!

Best regards,
  Chrystine

Welcome to the forum Chrystine  :)

Even if 15nm seems smaller than what you were expecting, quite a few of the maps are huge and take quite a while to sail accross (Marseille, The Solent, Rotterdam, Phi Phi)

If you ever wish to create your own multiplayer servers after upgrading to 1.4.2, you can download the multiplayer server software from the patches section of www.shipsim.com .

Hope you have fun in the sim!

Nathan

Chrystine

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 20:00:44 »

Hi Nathan!

Thanks very much, very kind of you! :)

Also for the link provided and helpful suggestion, though I’m really not one for MP.
  However strange it may sound, I can easily just sail out to sea all alone, slow to a near crawl, stand near the bow and watch the sea for unmeasured time…  I honestly know of nothing even nearly as relaxing.
  I don’t need very much to be able to do just that.
  Shoot, I’ve done it for years on my several boats in FS2k2…  My husband (a pilot), Loves to fly! ..I’ve gotten far more use from my boats in the Flight Sims than I ever did any aircraft.
  I’ve even made the trans-Atlantic crossing in FS2k2.  Though it takes a great deal of ‘imagination’ to make it bearable – with that flat, never changing ‘painted’ water texture…  Give me a single boat/ship I really like on the water of SS 2008, and I fairly-wager I can keep myself happy for years….

“..and take quite a while to sail across.”  I like the sound of that! :)

O’ I Really want that fishing boat - The North Star!

Many thanks again!

Best regards,
  Chrystine

« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 23:00:29 by Chrystine »

TerryRussell

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 21:02:16 »

Hi Tina.

As the creator of the radio and horn sounds, I'm glad you like them!

The exact updates you need to install will depend entirely on which version you have on the disk, when it arrives. You do need to install them in the correct order, so that Ship Simulator works properly.

You can download my flowchart, which takes you through, step by step. There also guides on how to get the most from your system (produced by Carl and myself). All available here:
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,7737.0.html

Hope this is useful.

Chrystine

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 22:52:32 »

Hi Terry!

Thanks very much to you, too! :)
  Much appreciated.

Apparently, I’ll not be able to access that page for the flow-chart and the guides, until I get my SS 2008 & the Reg. Key: but I’ll bookmark this thread and come back to it then.

I’ve been through the same sort of thing with SH3, so well appreciate the importance of assuring proper sequence of ‘multiple’ installations.

I appreciate the heads up on that and will remember it – and come back here as soon as I get the Sim installed from the disk.

Yes, I’m sure that will all be very useful… Again – much & many thanks!

Best regards,
  Chrystine

RMSGreatBritain

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 17:45:12 »

Hello there Chrystine, Always nice to see a new member, Hope we can be friends here on the forums and get to know each other. I will see you around,

Kind Regards, RMSGreatBritain (RMS or GB for short!)
DiamondEagleDB09rms On youtube! Now with New Playlist!
<br />Thanks to TJK for this awesome Sig!

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 17:59:40 »

Hi S.A. and Marty!

My pleasure to be able to help! :)

Chrystine

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 22:36:06 »

Hi RMS GB!

Thanks very much for the warm greeting and kind words and yes, I’m sure of it..!

I was Really hoping my SS 2008 would arrive today, but looks like not.
  Tomorrow perhaps…
  Here’s hoping!  ‘X’ ‘X’ ( *crossed fingers* )

..Another  :)  ..to S.A.

Best regards,
   Chrystine

TerryRussell

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 22:39:36 »

It is very difficult to play the game with your fingers crossed....

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 23:25:15 »

Hi Tina,
Welcome to Ship Simulator and the forum. If you get even a quarter of the enjoyment that many of us have you will find a great deal of pleasure in SS2008. Stick around and you will certainly not be disappointed.

Angus.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Chrystine

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 01:54:09 »

Hi – and many thanks for the kind & warm welcome, Angus!

I really can’t imagine it otherwise – well, I can, but I don’t want to and not easily.
  I’m really not that hard to please where concerns such things and a ‘little’ goes a long way.
  Far easier for me to imagine – if there is Someone ‘out there’ who has ever really thoroughly enjoyed SS 2008 ‘out of the box’ – it’s almost inconceivable I won’t as well.

Probably won’t take long before I’m wondering whether anyone’s ever enjoyed it a quarter as much as me …   :)

I’m glad I spent the time looking around and found this Forum.  Aside from appearing to have a lively, colorful and friendly ‘crew,’ I’m sure it will offer many needed helps.

Hopefully you all won’t get tired of having me around.  :)

Thanks again and best regards,
  Chrystine

RMSGreatBritain

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 20:23:45 »

Hi RMS GB!

Thanks very much for the warm greeting and kind words and yes, I’m sure of it..!

I was Really hoping my SS 2008 would arrive today, but looks like not.
  Tomorrow perhaps…
  Here’s hoping!  ‘X’ ‘X’ ( *crossed fingers* )

..Another  :)  ..to S.A.

Best regards,
   Chrystine

Its the least I could do, A new member always deserves a warm welcome, and thats what us at the forums are here for. I remember when I joined everyone gave me a really warm welcome, You will meet some of the nicest, friendliest and most welcoming people here on this forum. Good luck when you get the game and Enjoy!

Regards, RMSGB
DiamondEagleDB09rms On youtube! Now with New Playlist!
<br />Thanks to TJK for this awesome Sig!

MrFlappy102

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2008, 21:35:10 »

Hello there Chrystine, Always nice to see a new member, Hope we can be friends here on the forums and get to know each other. I will see you around,

Kind Regards, RMSGreatBritain (RMS or GB for short!)

Yeah Without a doubt, welcome to the ship sim world!

Chrystine

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2008, 23:17:13 »

:)

Warmest thanks, GB and MrFlappy_ !
  Very kind of both of you & much appreciated.

Amazon’s tracking shows my package was to be delivered on 8 Nov., but it didn’t come… So – better be here tomorrow!
 Boy, this has been a long weekend…

Best regards,
 Chrystine

The Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2008, 03:00:04 »

Hello Chrystine :).

Welcome to the forum! It seems you are enjoying yourself with other members already ;D. This just goes to show you what a nice community we have here and in time you will be able to meet other forum members and get to experience their personalities as well.

As with your package, I can only say to keep checking your mail-box ;D. That is what I did when I waited for SS. But, the moment of truth will eventually come, and you will see how great this simulator is! And for NH, there are also great ships in that package too like the bugsier and Hurkules Atlas! You will find out what those are when you get the game or you can look in our gallary ;).

Let us know when it arrives in your mail-box ;D ;)!

Chrystine

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2008, 20:44:20 »

Ahoy The Captain!  :)

Thanks very much, I really appreciate those kind words & the warm welcome!

Sure enough seem to be some very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful souls here &nd I’ve been much enjoying meeting those I’ve yet been able to.

Yaaaaaaaaayyy!  It’s here!   It Finally got here! :)
  Have just installed it, so will go check it out – and come back later to ‘report.’ ;)
  ( I’ve also already registered my Key here, too ).
  All’s well so far!

My warmest thanks again – to you and all who’ve extended such kind greetings and welcome…  :)

Best regards,
   Chrystine

P.S. – I’m sure the Herkules Atlas and Bugsier 2 are fun and lovely models to be found in N.H. – but I’ll buy it just to have the North Star if nothing else, which I really want…  I’d even call that one a ‘personal necessity.’

Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines