Hello Guest September 08, 2024, 00:29:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nagging Titanic Question  (Read 3312 times)

llamalord

• Forum member
Nagging Titanic Question
« on: August 17, 2008, 03:29:21 »

This is a question about the way that the Titanic was modeled in this game.

Who ever modeled the Titanic had either of two things in mind.

1.  The Titanic will be in Ship Simulator as if it never sunk.

2.  The Titanic will be in Ship Simulator just as it was the day it sank and no different.

If the answer to what they were is number one.  Than it would make sence that it would have a modern radio and auto-charts but if the answer is number two than it shouldn't have anything modern.

Llamalord
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

www.llamalord

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
Re: Nagging Titanic Question
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 06:57:21 »

#2 since no one knows what #1 would be like.

And for #1 no one would have proof of anything and it would be a frenzy of ****** of people thinking things should be different, even though no one knows.

Edited for language - Mad_Fred (you could have phrased that a bit better perhaps.  ;) )
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 19:47:38 by Mad_Fred »

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 19:50:35 »

I guess it is a mix between the two, actually.

It's modeled like it was then, but refitted to have the modern day navigational aids, so it will fit in the game's modern environments aswell.

So the basic ship is kept historically accurate (to an extend, titanic buffs!) but has the means to sail in this day and age aswell.  ;D

Well that's just my theory.  ;)

Fred

RMS Canada

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 17:18:09 »

Your right!  As a Titanic Expert, the Titanic in Ship Simulator 2008 should not have radio.  It did not excist in 1912.  There should be beeping sounds of the wireless.
All ahead full!

mvsmith

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 17:41:06 »

TTE,
She did have radio in the broad sense of the term, although it was called “wireless” back then. It did not “beep” because the carrier was not modulated. It sounded more like either a lightning strike or a click, depending upon the type of detector used.
In any case, the Marconi room was so far aft on the port side that sounds would not reach the bridge—unfortunately neither did many of the ice warnings. There was heavy sound insulation because the arc transmitter made quite a racket.

As Fred said, the Titanic in SS is used for dual purpose—as the actually ship of 1912 or as a modern replica as in “Titanic 2…” She is most often used in silly scenarios.
The radio chatter on the bridge can be turned off.

Gloat

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 17:15:09 »

Mvsmith. PLEASE tell me how you can turn the annoying radio chatter of! Im pretty sure its in settings but were?

Im not really pleased with the radio chatter at all. I think it was a very bad idea. It keeps annoying me. I thought VSTEP had made a bug and accidently recorded what they were saying while they were makeing the ships. I also thought that someone was hacking through into my computer and shouted SHUT UP into my mike.

:)

Microsoft

Come and join us at the ship sim wiki! www.shipsimulator.wikia.com
Head Aministrator at Ship Simulator wiki.

mvsmith

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 18:41:18 »

Just take the crayons out of your nose and stick them in your ears.

Thruster

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 19:00:10 »

Mvsmith. PLEASE tell me how you can turn the annoying radio chatter of! Im pretty sure its in settings but were?

Im not really pleased with the radio chatter at all. I think it was a very bad idea. It keeps annoying me. I thought VSTEP had made a bug and accidently recorded what they were saying while they were makeing the ships. I also thought that someone was hacking through into my computer and shouted SHUT UP into my mike.

:)

Microsoft

Just go to 'options', then to the audio part and there should be a option called something like 'radio chatter'. You could also download the new chatter pack made by TerryRussell and MadFred here: http://www.shipsim.com/downloads/patches.php. Good luck ;)!

Regards,

Thruster
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 19:02:38 by Thruster »

mvsmith

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 19:55:51 »

Thruster, you are having your leg pulled by “Microsoft”. He has been around long enough to know how to turn off the chatter—much longer than you.

Thruster

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 09:52:52 »

Actually I don't really care about having my leg pulled, I just saw his thread and tried to help ;). I don't want to start any argument here, so let's stop talking about this. If 'microsoft' wants to pull anybody's legs, as you say, let him go on, I don't really care :).

Regards,

Thruster

« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 10:15:44 by Thruster »

Gloat

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 09:57:13 »

Mvsmith you are REALLY helpful thank you soo much!   I dont suppose you understand that I acctually have education to think about rather then computer cames and I was hardly playing ship sim when Version 1.4.2 was out or anything. You should stop posting Offencive comments and get around to helping people rather then just seeming to be "in the way" of everything.

Thruster... I thank you. Not only did you acctually tell me how to, you acctually gave me additional information.

Mods, I dont want another argument to break out here. Please lock this topic.

Regards and thank you, Thruster.

----

Hey thruster... I dont want this place to get off topic, but in your sig... is the ocean star sinking? Just couldnt help noticeing  :D

And if someone can tell how to MERGE or DELETE posts please tell me now! Iv double posted again!!! ARRGGHH sorry!

[edit by Terry] - Merged as requested
Not yours to lock, though.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 21:50:22 by TerryRussell »

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 09:57:43 »

Jason De Donno is trying to model her as she was last known to look.

You can tell because he has one of the poop deck's cowl vents oriented 45 degrees starboard, just as it was positioned in the last known photo of that section of the ship.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 10:04:10 by RMS Gigantic »

RMS Canada

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 18:36:30 »

TTE,
She did have radio in the broad sense of the term, although it was called “wireless” back then. It did not “beep” because the carrier was not modulated. It sounded more like either a lightning strike or a click, depending upon the type of detector used.
In any case, the Marconi room was so far aft on the port side that sounds would not reach the bridge—unfortunately neither did many of the ice warnings. There was heavy sound insulation because the arc transmitter made quite a racket.

As Fred said, the Titanic in SS is used for dual purpose—as the actually ship of 1912 or as a modern replica as in “Titanic 2…” She is most often used in silly scenarios.
The radio chatter on the bridge can be turned off.

How?
All ahead full!

mvsmith

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 20:35:41 »

Click the wrench icon in the lower right corner of the screen to get the Settings window.
Click the Sound button.
Set the Radio volume slider to 0.
Click the OK button.

Gloat

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 21:56:40 »

Well, you could have told me that too couldnt you? Its as easy. I have a good idea to pull your leg until it comes off.

RMS Canada

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 16:52:04 »

Click the wrench icon in the lower right corner of the screen to get the Settings window.
Click the Sound button.
Set the Radio volume slider to 0.
Click the OK button.

But wouldn't that affect the radio sounds for other vessels as well? 
All ahead full!

mvsmith

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 18:07:14 »

Of course. That is the object of doing it.

RMS Canada

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 20:57:43 »

Of course. That is the object of doing it.

It would make it unrealistic on other vessels.  Mind me, but I think for SS09 they shouldn't add radio to Titanic.
All ahead full!

mvsmith

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2008, 21:07:07 »

In any mission with the original Titanic, no other vessels would have radiotelephony either.
For those who find chatter generally objectionable, they would want it off on all vessels.
One can always turn it on or off depending upon the mission or the vessel one is on.

In a mission like T2, set in the present when VHF would probably be a requirement for a replica, one might want the chatter. Removing it entirely from Titanic would make little sense.
Removing Titanic entirely from SS 2009 would make more sense.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 21:12:08 by mvsmith »

Gloat

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2008, 17:23:52 »

Removing titanic entirely would be very silly, Mvsmith. I think the correct way of handleing things is either providing an on ship optionslist so you can turn the radio off or simply making an alternative radio for Titanic

Or both

Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines