Hello Guest May 08, 2024, 00:58:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What do I do With Half of £20 note  (Read 11050 times)

rjwhyte09

• Forum member
What do I do With Half of £20 note
« on: May 16, 2011, 01:04:32 »

Hi People I just found a half of a Scottish 20 pound note in a bush near my house   i thought of taking it to the Royal Bank Of Scotland but would i get £20 Its real its not a fake iv check my m8 said its useless and just better binning it  :o.

What should i do?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 01:11:02 by rjwhyte09 »
VIRTUAL SHIPS & VIRTUAL SHIP LINES

> http://virtualshipsandvirtualshiplines.weebly.com/

Matthew Brown

• Forum member
Re: What do I do With Half of £20 note
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 06:26:21 »

Are you being serious here?  ::)
If I find a cornish pasty doesn't mean I have to take it back to cornwall  :doh:
Meh sorry I'm just messing with you!

I would have said that Scotland isn't special and uses the exact same currency as the rest of the UK.
But in this case this popped into my mind:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bank_of_Scotland_20_pound_note_2007.jpg

In which case your friend is right in saying it's useless as I would have thought that it wouldn't be classed as legal tender.
But there's no need to bin it at all that's silly, I would hang on to it as a collection.
After all they aren't very common, and could be classed as a collectors item.
In fact if it is that same note I mentioned above then you could if you find the right person sell it for anywhere between 30 to 40 GBP.

I know these things pretty much as I collect coins and notes myself. (Got them from all over the world now).

Let me know what note it is exactly though and then I can be absolutely positive.  :thumbs:

Kind Regards,

Matthew

Ralphy

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 07:29:53 »

I've had one before...it's not very easy spending one on the south coast, many people don't believe it's real since they've never seen one before.

As for the half of the note i don't think you can really do much with it, if they go around exchanging half notes then you could just rip all your notes in half and keep on going back and you would end up with double your money  :lol:

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 09:54:42 »

As long as you have BOTH serial numbers then you can bank it, so if its cut along its length and has BOTH numbers yes, otherwise no.

Technically speaking Scottish notes aren't legal tender anywhere (including Scotland), however there's some convention or other (the melbraveheart-gibson act) that permits it under a dispensation.

Many companies won't accept them and the reason for that isn't down to some show of annoyance with Scottish attitude, but simply that they are very easy to forge.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 10:41:53 »

Wait until Scotland becomes independent... then it will be legal  :doh:

rjwhyte09

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 11:23:36 »

to Matthew Brown the link shows £20 notes however its older than them its 2006 note ill keep it though it might be worth something in future :2thumbs:

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 11:42:08 »

Wait until Scotland becomes independent... then it will be legal  :doh:

When scotchland clears off and leaves England alone, the scotchish note will be worthless.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 11:43:40 »

But there's no need to bin it at all that's silly, I would hang on to it as a collection.
In fact if it is that same note I mentioned above then you could if you find the right person sell it for anywhere between 30 to 40 GBP.

I assume you are joking, but some might be daft enough...

If a £20 note could really be worth £30-40 just by being torn in half, I can double my fortune (and half my intelligence) overnight.

Matthew Brown

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 19:25:03 »

I assume you are joking, but some might be daft enough...

If a £20 note could really be worth £30-40 just by being torn in half, I can double my fortune (and half my intelligence) overnight.

All right Mr. smarty pants, I misread the topic and didn't realize that he did say it was torn in half  ::)

--tractorman--

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 19:50:50 »

Cash it in as £10

rjwhyte09

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 01:25:14 »

Stuart2007 We will break away from Britain one day in the future i cant wait to get away from the UK goverment now with SNP getting 69 seats in the scottish parliament  election 2 weeks ago  they will hold a vote for independents in 2 years time  :thumbs:

strikewaffle

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 13:18:32 »

Are you kidding? I can go to a cash machine right next to where I live and take out hundreds of pounds of Scottish notes in one go. They're anything but collectors items, and only worth their face value - if they're in an acceptable condition of course (that is, not torn in half).

And actually, if you know enough about a Scottish note, it's just as easy to spot a forgery as with an English note, so they're no more easy to forge. That's an English myth.

I managed to get away without paying for breakfast in London once because the ignorant cafe owner refused to accept my Scottish note after I'd eaten my meal, saying the same. I had no other means of payment so offered to just leave. The police were called, and after checking my £10 note they advised the owner that I was offering legitimate payment for the service I'd received, so as far as they were concerned I was within my rights to leave without paying if he continued to refuse to accept the money.

So. Free breakfast and confirmation that my Scottish money is as legal in London as it is in Edinburgh... :-)

strikewaffle

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 13:22:19 »

Stuart2007 We will break away from Britain one day in the future i cant wait to get away from the UK goverment now with SNP getting 69 seats in the scottish parliament  election 2 weeks ago  they will hold a vote for independents in 2 years time  :thumbs:

Egads no. Any Scot with half a brain knows that the Union is the best for all of us. We share resources, we are a bigger presence on the world stage. England needs us as much as we need England. We just need to learn to accept each others cultural differences without having to divorce from each other. I'm pretty sure an independence referendum would deliver a strong "No" vote.

rjwhyte09

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 14:42:33 »

Im scottish and proud but the way Britain is now i don`t think we would survive as a country  I get what  strikewaffle saying england needs us and we need them but as it says

If Ireland can do it so can Scotland maybe not at the moment  but in the future :2thumbs:

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 21:04:27 »

Bye then. Perhaps once the barnett formula is removed we can actually keep some of our hard earned tax for ourselves rather than subsidising your small piece of land. Oh and all my family are, I regret, scottish and I tell them this too.

If you are daft enough to think that alex salmond is a good thing for scotland then I say best of luck to you. We bought scotland, we've used it and now that it's finished I think it only right to give it back to you.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 21:05:07 »

Oh and I wouldn't use Ireland as a good example. It's economy (no offence to our Irish neighbours) is screwed at the moment.

Captain Calmac

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 21:26:41 »

but the thing is scotland has OIL

...and the bagpipes
As Neil Armstrong famously said, one small step for man, one giant blow for the cheese industry

rjwhyte09

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 22:39:09 »

to Stuart2007 by the way England never bought  us we are just un-lucky we are part of the that country south    Oh and our small Piece of land is hell of better that the rubbish England landscapes there was no need for that comment the mount of stuff that england takes from us is embarrassing and we should have more rights for Scotland no the ***** **** MPs in west minister that think about england .

Alex Salmond i do think he would be good he has been better that all the others First Ministers  have been .

the most embarrassing thing england does and this has been said by SNP and My former High School Politic Teacher the oil Scottish oil gets shipped on oil Trucks travel From Aberdeen To somewhere done to england and ENGLAND is so kind to give us the rest of it when they are done how kind of them

If loads of people that don`t believe Independence or do in Scotland and looked at Your comment   saying our lands are useless and also saying this keep some of our hard earned tax for ourselves rather than subsidising your small Piece of land it would never be took kindly  iv got 2 warning on this forum im not wasting it on YOU   :thumbdown: :evil:

Edited for language, there was no need to put it like that. - Fred
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 07:50:55 by Mad_Fred »

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 22:39:55 »

How in Dover did we get here from half a £20 note...  ???

rjwhyte09

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 22:51:58 »

Dont no Ferry Man stuart2007n Took this abit far and im am  totally disgusted on what he said  :thumbdown: all i said was this

We will break away from Britain one day in the future i cant wait to get away from the UK goverment now with SNP getting 69 seats in the scottish parliament  election 2 weeks ago  they will hold a vote for independents in 2 years time

Then  this by Stuart2007 --We bought scotland, we've used it and now that it's finished I think it only right to give it back to you.

I hate people like that.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 22:58:55 by rjwhyte09 »

Ralphy

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 07:39:11 »

I understand what you're talking about with you wanting independance, but the fact is in the current polls there is a clear majority who wish to stay as it is. One day there may be independance but it's not happening as soon as you would hope...

And that is a very good question TFM  ::)

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 07:54:20 »

How in Dover did we get here from half a £20 note...  ???

Politics ::)
Kind Regards,
Jack.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 10:31:20 »

Ahhh...  :doh:

Stay away from Politics and stick to ferries, thats what I think  ;D

but any way, best plan of action... find the other halkf of the note  !:)

strikewaffle

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2011, 16:13:36 »

rjwhyte09 just ignore the troll (Stuart2007) - he's just fishing for a reaction like that.

At the end of the day, any debate on Scottish/Welsh/Northern Irish independence will descend into accusations, inflated arguments, petty name calling and childish posturing, which is why I normally try to avoid them ;-)

But one point of historical fact - England did kind of buy us. They bailed us out of the Darian disaster when we bankrupted ourselves. The price we paid was the union of the crowns and the dissolution of our Parliament.

Of course, that doesn't represent any sound argument in a modern independence debate as it was quite a long time ago and we've probably repaid our debt by now ;D

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2011, 15:36:23 »

TFM, it was actually YOU who started it, if you look back up.

Take my advice. NEVER talk politics with the scottish, religion with muslims, or global warming with Inuits.

The trouble is, of course, that most of this anti-England rants come from people with no right to it, or understanding of politics. Take sean connery (I hate to brake it to you but he is NOT james bond, hes an actor)- he is so pro-scotland and hates England... yet he lives in america.

I'm sorry, but the barnett formula is well and truly unfair against England. But if you weren't so young and inexperience (this is to rjw/waffles) you'd realise that this nationalistic rubbish being used by both English AND scottish as a means to divide and conquer. If people of Great Britain are too busy fighting it out to keep an eye on these little toads, then THEY win.

But as long as you get your independence (I wish you the VERY best and hope it happens soon) you'll not give a damn. I will because no doubt we will continue to bail you out.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines