Hello Guest May 11, 2024, 16:46:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down

Author Topic: new horizons  (Read 56437 times)

Graeme Heddle

• Forum member
Re: new horizons
« Reply #350 on: April 26, 2008, 22:46:41 »

Well I know that much although i'm not hugely up on engines.

thanks to Captain Bluebeard for the sig

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #351 on: April 29, 2008, 08:31:59 »

and if you run out of gas you have to get a new engine in a diesel. And always idle a diesel for 30 seconds before turning off. And they have glow plugs or block heaters so the diesel doesn't look like jello.

TJK

« Reply #352 on: April 29, 2008, 11:39:56 »

and if you run out of gas you have to get a new engine in a diesel. And always idle a diesel for 30 seconds before turning off. And they have glow plugs or block heaters so the diesel doesn't look like jello.bold edit TJK

What you mean "and if you run out of gas you have to get a new engine in a diesel" must bay new engine?
Joust fill up the tank and you most pump manually the diesel to get out the air of the system, that's big engine, they as used in small cars joust start and after a while it will run normal. " 30 seconds before turning off" well almost right that are for those cars who haw turbo
I hope I misunderstand you here I drive a big 50 ton's 18 wailers myself  so I know this.
TJK :)

TerryRussell

« Reply #353 on: April 29, 2008, 19:15:16 »

Yep, I gotta agree.

I've managed to run out of diesel a few times in boat (I owned a Nelson with a 50HP Perkin-Elmer) and also in one car.

I both cases, having refuelled I just used the primer pump and hey presto, off we went.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #354 on: April 29, 2008, 21:23:25 »

What you mean "and if you run out of gas you have to get a new engine in a diesel" must bay new engine?
Joust fill up the tank and you most pump manually the diesel to get out the air of the system, that's big engine, they as used in small cars joust start and after a while it will run normal. " 30 seconds before turning off" well almost right that are for those cars who haw turbo
I hope I misunderstand you here I drive a big 50 ton's 18 wailers myself  so I know this.
TJK :)

Well thats different when you already have 30 gallons just in the fuel lines. And another 130 in the tank. It is almost impossible too. You would have to get a new engine. Different if you accidentally put gas in diesel, if you don't run it then you can just pump it all out and flush the system. But running out of diesel is one thing you don't want to do.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 21:25:08 by Agent|Austin »

budbud

• Forum member
« Reply #355 on: April 29, 2008, 22:47:20 »

Hi,

I experienced running out of DO on a caterpillar marine main engine 3600 kW, and we had to prime again the DO pump and drain the circuit by turning the engine with the turning gear for few minutes. And it worked again.

And always idle a diesel for 30 seconds before turning off

Depending on the size of the engine and the way it is used, it can be completely different. On board this ship, we used the engines at constant speed with CPP. The slowing down procedure lasts around 10-20 min and stop when idle speed reached.

Budbud
C'est curieux ce besoin que les marins ont de faire des phrases!

TerryRussell

« Reply #356 on: April 29, 2008, 22:51:38 »

Well thats different when you already have 30 gallons just in the fuel lines. And another 130 in the tank. It is almost impossible too. You would have to get a new engine. Different if you accidentally put gas in diesel, if you don't run it then you can just pump it all out and flush the system. But running out of diesel is one thing you don't want to do.

Hi Agent|Austin.

I've got to disagree somewhat.

Running our of diesel doesn't mean replacing the engine. Even in large warships, if they run out, the system can be re-primed. It just takes longer with larger engines.

Even putting perol (or "gas" to you Yanks!) into a diesel engine isn't generally fatal. Although it can damage the engine more often it just makes it run very "lumpy" or else cut out.

My wife once managed to put petrol into my car. It ran quite jerkily for about the 50 miles home, she said. I just topped up with diesel and it perked up. Ran fine after that.

Even diesel in a petrol engine generally just needs siphoning out and then refilling the tanlk with petrol. It then takes a lot of turning of the engine to get it worked through, but generally it will restart after a while and then be OK.

definitely not recommended though. In extreme cases, the engine can be damaged. It's just a lot less often than people think. It's always best to change all the fuel line filters afterwards.

Of course putting Van Diesel into your engine may have much more serious side effects.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #357 on: April 30, 2008, 11:32:48 »

Hi Agent|Austin.

I've got to disagree somewhat.

Running our of diesel doesn't mean replacing the engine. Even in large warships, if they run out, the system can be re-primed. It just takes longer with larger engines.

Even putting perol (or "gas" to you Yanks!) into a diesel engine isn't generally fatal. Although it can damage the engine more often it just makes it run very "lumpy" or else cut out.

My wife once managed to put petrol into my car. It ran quite jerkily for about the 50 miles home, she said. I just topped up with diesel and it perked up. Ran fine after that.

Even diesel in a petrol engine generally just needs siphoning out and then refilling the tanlk with petrol. It then takes a lot of turning of the engine to get it worked through, but generally it will restart after a while and then be OK.

definitely not recommended though. In extreme cases, the engine can be damaged. It's just a lot less often than people think. It's always best to change all the fuel line filters afterwards.

Of course putting Van Diesel into your engine may have much more serious side effects.

I would have to say otherwise knowing that it has happened, and working on diesel engines for a few years. + Operating a 20 ton piece of equipment for 3 years, since I was 10.

TJK

« Reply #358 on: April 30, 2008, 11:57:52 »

I would have to say otherwise knowing that it has happened, and working on diesel engines for a few years. + Operating a 20 ton piece of equipment for 3 years, since I was 10.
maybe the was oil you get empty on,that's no god for the engines, you haw burn it and then you most bay a new on :D
What type of engines are you talking about? and car\ equipment 10 years and handle so big equipment  ???
Operating a 20 ton piece of equipment for 3 years,since I was 10.

who let a kid do so?  :o sorry most ask I'm  :o mean no harm joust  :o
TJK
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 12:39:18 by TJK »

TerryRussell

« Reply #359 on: April 30, 2008, 21:39:13 »

Well, I guess that beats my 45 years of experience, then... Guess I've been lucky and you haven't. In my experience, most times when peoiple put petrol in diesel engines or the other way round, no permanent damage was caused. Seen it in marine engines from 50 HP to 3500 and in petrol engines from 1100cc up to twin 6 Litres. Worst I've had to to is blow a few nozzles clear if summer diesel gets put into a petrol engine in the winter. (Goes waxy).

TJK

« Reply #360 on: April 30, 2008, 21:54:39 »

Well, I guess that beats my 45 years of experience, then... Guess I've been lucky and you haven't. In my experience, most times when peoiple put petrol in diesel engines or the other way round, no permanent damage was caused. Seen it in marine engines from 50 HP to 3500 and in petrol engines from 1100cc up to twin 6 Litres. Worst I've had to to is blow a few nozzles clear if summer diesel gets put into a petrol engine in the winter. (Goes waxy).
Me to Terry, I joust hawe 40 years experiens with Bus, trailer,and other diesel and gasolin cars, We are to old  i think Terry, we don't know enything no more, the  kid are the master ;D
Friendly Regards
Tore

TerryRussell

« Reply #361 on: April 30, 2008, 22:09:33 »

Me to Terry, I joust hawe 40 years experiens with Bus, trailer,and other diesel and gasolin cars, We are to old  i think Terry, we don't know enything no more, the  kid are the master ;D
Friendly Regards
Tore

Yeah, I'm nearly senile now. What do I know? At least, that's what my kids say. (Kids? My daughter is 29 and my son is 27. But they still say it).

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #362 on: April 30, 2008, 22:21:28 »

Marine engines and car engines are different then equipment engines.

Question, ever ran a cat 385?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJbIorvLaJg

I have.

TerryRussell

« Reply #363 on: April 30, 2008, 22:22:57 »

I have.

Small stuff compared to the twin diesels on a lifeboat.  ;)

TJK

« Reply #364 on: April 30, 2008, 22:25:21 »

Yeah, I'm nearly senile now. What do I know? At least, that's what my kids say. (Kids? My daughter is 29 and my son is 27. But they still say it).
Same here to  i hawe one daughter 27 and to boys 22 and 25, don't tell i caled them boys,
Alzheimer light they call it in Norway ;D ore complete senile ;D
But i hawe a grandaughter 3 years old, that's fun  ;D
TJK

TJK

« Reply #365 on: April 30, 2008, 22:28:11 »

I have.
Small stuff compared to a 18 wiles truck with a v12 engine with 1200 horsepower ;D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 22:51:34 by TJK »

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #366 on: April 30, 2008, 23:03:40 »

Small stuff compared to a 18 wiles truck with a v12 engine with 1200 horsepower ;D

I'v driven those also... Actually not quite small. 85 tons.

And once again, marine engines and truck/car engines are not like machine engines.

513 HP

TJK

« Reply #367 on: April 30, 2008, 23:06:12 »

I'v driven those also... Actually not quite small. 85 tons.

And once again, marine engines and truck/car engines are not like machine engines.

513 HP

Grown up

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #368 on: April 30, 2008, 23:08:43 »

Grown up

If that made any sense?

You made me,

ever driven a cat D11?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0EeHqED4kSg

935 HP

426 Gallon Fuel Tank

I haven't but I have friends that have. I have driven a D10.

By the way, the most HP any semi truck produced in the USA only has 500 HP. ;)

Also, since you guys both think your better then me, have either of you ever been to the US and worked on US engines? Yeah they are different then your little European engines.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 23:14:00 by Agent|Austin »

TJK

« Reply #369 on: April 30, 2008, 23:21:41 »

I Thoth this topics was about new horizons, not about a little boy thinking he can everything back to topic pleas end of this stupid discussion

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #370 on: April 30, 2008, 23:32:32 »

I Thoth this topics was about new horizons, not about a little boy thinking he can everything back to topic pleas end of this stupid discussion

Oh really, you mean running equipment since I was 5 and knowing how everything works, and you still think you win?

I googled it and you were right, it is still a pain in the rear if you run out of diesel though. And putting petrol in it is never a good thing. My grandpa always told me that it would seize up, guess because he just didn't want to pay to change the filter and bleed the system, guess it worked cause I believed it this whole time.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 23:41:52 by Agent|Austin »

TJK

« Reply #371 on: May 01, 2008, 09:12:55 »

Oh really, you mean running equipment since I was 5 and knowing how everything works, and you still think you win?

I googled it and you were right, it is still a pain in the rear if you run out of diesel though. And putting petrol in it is never a good thing. My grandpa always told me that it would seize up, guess because he just didn't want to pay to change the filter and bleed the system, guess it worked cause I believed it this whole time.Small text edit by TJK
Back to topics then new horizons
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 09:16:04 by TJK »

Subwolf

• Forum member
« Reply #372 on: May 01, 2008, 13:40:23 »

I just want to add a comment to the fuel discussion, because you should know a little about this as a captain of a large container ship  ;)

Large ships don't run on diesel oil or gasoline, they run on heavy fuel called Bunker C oil or No.6 oil which is the most common fuel. This fuel is what remains from crude oil when it's distilled and you get gasoline and other light oils like diesel. Smaller ships use different versions of light oil, or simply different qualities of diesel oil.

You will not ruin an engine by feeding it the wrong fuel, not even a car engine. But you will ruin fuel pumps, filters and so on which have to be replaced. Could become a very expensive mistake..
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 13:43:59 by Subwolf »

TJK

« Reply #373 on: May 01, 2008, 15:33:28 »

I just want to add a comment to the fuel discussion, because you should know a little about this as a captain of a large container ship  ;)

Large ships don't run on diesel oil or gasoline, they run on heavy fuel called Bunker C oil or No.6 oil which is the most common fuel. This fuel is what remains from crude oil when it's distilled and you get gasoline and other light oils like diesel. Smaller ships use different versions of light oil, or simply different qualities of diesel oil.

You will not ruin an engine by feeding it the wrong fuel, not even a car engine. But you will ruin fuel pumps, filters and so on which have to be replaced. Could become a very expensive mistake..
That's correct,not smart to run with wrong fuel. And for big ships fuel yes we cud see that when Color Lines old Christian 4. started up and leave to Denmark, Hole Kristiansand was dark for an hour after the smoke from the engines this was not god and that terrible smell ::)

Can we place go pact to topic now

TerryRussell

« Reply #374 on: May 01, 2008, 17:09:26 »

Quite right. Testing fuel oil quality (TBN - total base number, water content and so on) is part of the routine for any vessel running on fuel oil.

Several of my clients make equipment for use on Naval and other vessels, so that when they go to a fuelling point, they can cheeck the quality before they take it on. That relatively cheap test equipment pays for itself very quickly, especially in countries where grade and quality of oil is not so certain.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines