Hello Guest May 10, 2024, 09:06:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Costa Concordia Grounded, taking on water.  (Read 80094 times)

dexter7

• Forum member
Re: Costa Concordia Grounded, taking on water.
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2012, 17:17:13 »

:'(
My PC specs:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
600W Power Supply
MSI N760 TF IV OC
8GB or RAM
Acer X213W ~ Cyberpower PC Gamer Ultra 2097 Desktop PC
Favorite games: Ship Simulators, MS Flight Sims, Railworks 3,

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2012, 17:43:53 »

Since several horror scenarios swashing through the media, we should keep in mind the following figures: within the last 25 years more than 300 Million people have made a cruise, that equals 2,1 Billion passengerdays on board. In total 13 (in words: thirteen) of those were killed due to a damage! Taking a cruise is still the safest way to travel. Beside that, every death far too much.

Source: ShipPax Information, Sweden
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #102 on: January 15, 2012, 19:43:07 »

hope it doent go to 6 or higher  :-[
Captain Cadet
Please don't message me for technical support!

larsdehaan

« Reply #103 on: January 15, 2012, 20:01:32 »

About the captain statement of mine, its another captain the one i thought was francesco russo

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2012, 21:10:22 »

Costa Cruises reaffirms its deepest sorrow for this terrible incident that has struck his loved ones: his guests, its employees, its own vessel, apologized for the suffering and discomfort that these people have suffered and extends more condolences to the families of victims found.

Approximately 1,100 people of Costa Cruises all over the world are working on the evening of Friday in the management of this terrible accident and their priority was to support the rescue operations, assisting guests and crew and bring them safely to their residence.

The search and rescue operations are still being coordinated by the Coast Guard and the Italian authorities. We confirm that unfortunately there are still the missing and, since the situation is constantly changing, we are not allowed to provide data.

The Captain Francesco Schettino, who was in command of the Costa Concordia, Costa Cruises has entered into in 2002 as a security officer and promoted commander in 2006, after being second in command. Like all commanders of the fleet, he has participated in a continuous program of upgrading and training and has passed all the tests of suitability provided.

As previously announced, the Judiciary, with which Costa Cruises is working, the detaining of the Commander, to which serious allegations have been made. It seems that the commander has made an error of judgment who have had serious consequences: the route followed by the ship was too close to the coast, and it seems that its decisions in emergency management have not followed the procedures that are in line Costa Cruises and, in some cases go beyond international standards.

Costa Cruises is operating in full compliance with all rules relating to safety and is proud of the commitment of its employees dedicated to managing the safety of our guests.

All crew members have a certificate BST (Basic Safety Training), are educated and trained in the management of emergencies and to assist guests in case of abandon ship through numerous exercises. Roles, responsibilities and tasks are clearly defined and assigned to help manage a situation so important.

All crew members make one abandon ship drill every two weeks. For all guests on the cruise is scheduled exercise within 24 hours after the day of embarkation, as required by law. Costa Cruises has a computerized system that makes sure that all guests have participated in the exercise, and consequently put a remedy.

The preparation of the crew members is periodically checked by Costa Cruises Coast Guard and the independent rating agencies in line with respect to the requirements specified in the SMS (Safety Management Systems).

On board the Costa Concordia and Costa ships are all available life jackets, rafts and boats greater than the maximum number of persons that can be hosted by the ship. The spears are safety equipment, such as water supplies and food, medicine boxes and tools for reporting and communication, which allow you to safely wait for the arrival of relief. The spears are also the subject of careful periodic checks by the ship’s personnel and certification bodies. All Costa Cruises ships are certified by RINA and are built to the highest standards and technologies.

Following the accident, Costa Cruises has responded immediately to prevent a potential environmental impact and since Saturday is using the world’s leading companies in the industry, & Smit Salvage, which is developing a plan of action, immediate action short term is to build a containment barrier around the hull.

The Judiciary has submitted to seize the ship and the VDR – the so-called “black box”. Costa Cruises can then access the ship only with the permission of authorities .
"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #105 on: January 15, 2012, 21:25:35 »

thats a long statement.
Captain Cadet

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2012, 21:28:10 »

there is nothing on the website telling me the boat is safe
http://www.costacruises.co.uk/gb/costa_concordia.html
Captain Cadet

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2012, 21:31:38 »

If they authorities sezie the ship there prettymuch 0 chance of any salavage work being carried out, bar the removal of fuel.
STCW II/1 Unlimited Officer Of the Watch.
Big or small, I'll sail 'em all!

Snakebyte92

• Forum member
« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2012, 21:34:13 »

I just heard on the news that a Dutch sister company of "Smit" is hired for the salvage of the costa Concordia.
http://www.rnw.nl/english/bulletin/dutch-company-salvaging-costa-concordia
They already started cleaning the oil :thumbs:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 21:38:22 by Snakebyte92 »
Cadet Holland America Line

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2012, 21:37:36 »

Yep, Smit is the appointed salvage contractor. There also one of the best company's in the world

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2012, 21:39:46 »

news about the disater
there are only 17 unnacounted people now
not the 70 that was announced yesterday  ;)
just hope the rest are fine
Captain Cadet

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2012, 21:39:56 »

there is nothing on the website telling me the boat is safe
http://www.costacruises.co.uk/gb/costa_concordia.html

Who says I am looking there..?

Photo's now available of the ship underwater!
http://mikeyscruiseblog.com/
"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

larsdehaan

« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2012, 21:50:43 »

its just weird.. you dont expect seeing a ship like that in the current position/condition

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #113 on: January 15, 2012, 21:52:48 »

its just weird.. you dont expect seeing a ship like that in the current position/condition

There is a saying, and I hope it's not minded to say, which is: S**t just happens.

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #114 on: January 15, 2012, 21:54:11 »

Shes been comfirmed as scrap (wikipedia.org)
and will be the larges passager vessel with the greatest loss since the titanic
Captain Cadet

larsdehaan

« Reply #115 on: January 15, 2012, 21:55:54 »

There is a saying, and I hope it's not minded to say, which is: S**t just happens.
When people die its not S**t Happens

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #116 on: January 15, 2012, 21:56:36 »

:doh: :doh: :doh:

wikipedia knows how... xD

greatest loss? how when  most people survived?

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #117 on: January 15, 2012, 21:58:38 »

Why... do most people compare this disaster with Titanic...?
I mean, if I had a dinghy and it sank, I can hardly say it was like Titanic...  ::)

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #118 on: January 15, 2012, 22:01:41 »

she has NOT being confirmed as scrap, or atleast not offically. Several industry leaders are however saying that they think she's going to be declared a "constructive total loss"

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #119 on: January 15, 2012, 22:10:12 »

Whilst I am, like everyone, horrified by the loss of life in this disaster I personally feel it is a bit of poetic justice for Costa Cruises. It is only a relatively short time ago that a  lot of shipyard workers, and the Company they worked, for lost their jobs at Cammell Lairds shipyard in Birkenhead, England. This was caused by Costa requiring Lairds to build a very expensive centre section for one of their Cruise ships, then refusing to take it for reasons best known to themselves. This caused Cammell Lairds yard to go bust and be left with a large piece of very expensive scrap steel. They say that what goes around comes around. I think that is possibly true, sad, but true.
This is a quote from BBC at the time:-
Wednesday, 11 April, 2001, 20:30 GMT 21:30 UK
Cammell Laird: what went wrong

Cammell Laird has called in the receivers

UK shipyard Cammell Laird has given its version of the events that led to Wednesday's decision to call in the receivers.
In a statement, the Mersyside shipbuilder said its decision followed a series of problems that caused significant damage to its trading and financial position.

In Autumn 2000, the ship builder and repair yard had a record level of enquiries totalling approximately £750m which gave the directors high confidence in the future prospects of the group.

The business had grown substantially reporting pre-tax profits to April 2000 of £15.9m.

Investment was made in employees and infrastructure in anticipation of further growth. But the enquiries did not translate into firm orders, the company said.

Government contracts

In late October, a six ship contract for the Ministry of Defence was awarded to the German shipyard, Flensburger, and Harland and Wolff.

The company claims a further naval order for four large landing craft could not be pursued with any prospect of success due to the Government's bidding process.

The work was awarded to BAE Systems and Swan Hunter, with the result, Cammell Laird claims, that its shipyards were the only major facilities in the country not to benefit from Government orders.

Italian cruise ship

But the biggest impact on the deterioration in Cammell Laird's position was the dispute over the Italian cruise-liner Costa Classica.

The contract involved a £50m lengthening of a cruise ship.

Signed in late summer of 1999, the work involved building a mid-body section for insertion into the vessel between November 2000 and March 2001.

Given the credit worthiness of Costa Crociere, Cammell Laird's confidence in its own technical ability, and the desire to further establish itself in the important cruise ship market, the British company says it agreed to accept a contract with back end payments.

However, the ship's operator, Costa Coriciere, pulled the plug on the order as the ship was sailing to Cammell Laird's yard.

Cammell said it had considered legal action against Costa Coriciere, but has been advised it would take two years for a case to be resolved.

Damaging

Cammell says the Costa dispute has been very damaging to its business.

Apart from the loss of profit on the contract and significant cash outflow, the company says it has suffered the additional costs of downsizing the workforce, carrying excess overhead costs and the significant negative impact on employee morale.

Furthermore, the trade and financial markets have begun to doubt Cammell Laird's financial viability, which, combined with media speculation, has damaged the company's trading and financial position.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 23:17:39 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #120 on: January 15, 2012, 22:19:37 »

:doh: :doh: :doh:

wikipedia knows how... xD

greatest loss? how when  most people survived?
financhaly
Captain Cadet

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2012, 22:52:52 »

2 more people have been found.... dead.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16568760

JUST IN
The company operating a cruise ship than capsized after hitting rocks off western Italy on Friday says the captain may have "committed errors".

He appears to have ignored the firm's emergency procedures "which are in line with international standards", Costa Crociere said in a statement.

Capt Francesco Schettino is suspected of manslaughter, but denies wrongdoing.

At least five people have died but about 15 remain unaccounted for. Divers are trying to find more survivors.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 22:57:34 by danny »

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2012, 23:37:24 »

I've already said this on the last page, but a repeat is never wrong to say so in this occasion.

Aidablu

• Forum member
« Reply #123 on: January 16, 2012, 01:38:11 »

today in Denamrk i have been walking around and hearing people talking about that they wouldn't go on a cruise, i was talking to someone and said to them, GIVE ME A TCKET AND IM LEAVING, i wouldn't hessitate taking a cruise tomorrow or at anytime, i have been on 7 and im still going cruising, i don't care, if all said that everytime a plane crash, no one will be flying and all the world well be on a stand still...
HAHA LOOKING FOR MY USERNAME LOOK BELOW

assassinator2.0

• Forum member
« Reply #124 on: January 16, 2012, 01:54:27 »

Why do they say the water was freezing cold? its only like 71 degrees. I heard about a couple that was trapped in there for 36 hours. i dont even know how that is possible.
"He that boasts of his own knowledge proclaims his ignorance" -Author Unknown

"If a tidal wave hits LA just grab a fake boob for safety" -Sarah Michelle Gellar
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines