Hello Guest May 21, 2024, 01:14:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please sort out the controls  (Read 3430 times)

NeilC

• Forum member
Please sort out the controls
« on: July 15, 2007, 08:34:15 »

Please, Please sort out the controls.

get rid of the steering/throttle system and replace it permenantly with the so called "precission" steering.

Who wants to spend 1 hour sailing along with the joystick pushed forward/cursor key pressed all the time.

At least give us the option to chose which form of steering we want.  I use the keyboard at the moment, but it is highly anoying having to press shift as well as the cursor keys all the time.  After all, you can't tell me that someone stands on the bridge of the Pride of Rotterdam with his hands pushing the throttles forward for a 12 hour noth sea crossing?

What would be ideal is something like

Num pad 7 - Left engine increment forward
Num pad 4 - Left engine stop
Num pad 1 - Left engine increment back
Num pad 8 - both engines increment forward
Num pad 5 - both engines stop
Num pad 2 - both engines increment back
Num pad 9 - right engine increment forward
Num pad 6 - right engine stop
Num pad 3 - right engine increment back

and the cursor keys to control the steering (but in precision mode)

I beg you please put things back to the way they were (including options to cut the throttle and steering to zero).

Why wreck a good thing?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 09:12:21 by NeilC »

Eemspoort

• Forum member
Re: Please sort out the controls
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 10:27:13 »

Hmmm, this doesn't sound bad...

Nope, it sounds good! The num-pad-thing is a good point!
m/s "Eemspoort"
1961, Hilgers A.G.-Rheinbröhl
76,2 x 8,20 x 2,72 mtr, 1085 ton
Deutz RBV 6 M 545, 800 HP @ 380 rpm
Daf KMD 250.2, 250 HP @ 1800 rpm, bowthruster

Scrigel

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 10:28:52 »

It is souns complicated. i think its easyer to use the arrow keys

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 10:39:53 »

I agree with Eemspoort, it's much easier that way than the additional use of the SHIFT key for fine tuning of rudder and engines. I'll ask the developers about their opinion.

Cheers
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

Eemspoort

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 10:44:14 »

That's great, Bottman!

I mean, it's only logical to have more engine-cotrols on multi-engined ships. In real life they have multi-control as well, so.... And on the num-pad, they are all grouped in a logical way.
So yes, NeilC has a good point. Why didn't i thought of that? ??? ;)
m/s "Eemspoort"

Neoras

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 13:37:58 »

/signed.

This has to be fixed soon!

pjotr

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 14:14:43 »

You can set the controls exactly to your needs.
Look into Options - Controls.
You can use your set controls also in combination with the right-side Shift key.

ChiefEagle

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 15:24:30 »

I think we need more options for the keys, for example I want so that I can add to keys to the same action.

NeilC

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 22:16:42 »

You cannot set the controls exactly as you wish in options.

What ever you set them to, you still have to press another key to have "precision" control, otherwise pressing what ever key you set just gives you maximum throttle/rudder.  You can also not set a button to center rudder or cut throttle (like you could in 2006).

Having non "precision" control (ie, having to keep the key pressed and then only being able to have maximum rudder or throttle) is pointless when using the keyboard or joystick.

Even just using the mouse doesn't work 100% as it only seems to steer the left rudder????

also, could you bring back the pan option on the joypad or make it programable so that you don't have to keep grabbing the mouse to pan around.

Rant over,

Nevertheless a great simulator which just needs a bit of fine tunning :D

Eemspoort

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 00:34:57 »

Well, that's the thing with all that it's new. You can make a great base, but it allways needs to be fine-tuned.
Never the less, i can't wait to have the boxed version here, so i can "fool around" with it. And hope it will work propperly with my Saitek X-52 joystick. Especially for the cranes! ;D
m/s "Eemspoort"

mdfitch

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 04:53:55 »

:-\ Ok I just do not get it, sorry but my tech skills are somewhat numb! Ship sim had a really good profile under the controller menu for the saitek x52, it had dual engine control and everything (with a throttle and simultaneous trigger pull), the question is: where in the program is the profile and can it be copied into 2008? The Saitek units made all the difference in 2006 and although 2008 allows you to assign functions in a controller I am having difficulty with the dual throttle control.. Any help out there?

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 04:55:45 »

I just use the Z axis for my rudder on my joystick and the slider for throttle, but the SHIFT key works :S

Capt. A.S. Hansen

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007, 12:06:30 »

I agree with NeilC. We need the possibility to detail the controls of the throttle much more than possible now. Especially on twin-propeller ships.

I real-life, when doing maneuvers on my ship which have twin-propellers, all the handling layes in the fingers on the throttle-control.

This would be really great, if this could be part of a soon patch.

mdfitch

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 03:25:33 »

Hi Eemspoort, the x52 works great with the cranes. You just assign the functions in the controller menu, this controller is a great thing for ship control and made all the difference in 2006, You just pulled the trigger and you could run port and starboard props independently, I am now trying to figure out how to do the same thing in 08.. :-\

psolk

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 12:16:56 »

IMHO, the controls in SS08 are light years above and beyond 06 for joystick users.  I am using  Logitech G25 for my wheel, my CH throttle quad with separate AXIS for independent throttle control and a seperate Joystick for my bow thrusters utilizing the rotational Axis.  This was impossible in SS06 and for the user with a Saitek, just go and set up your controls yourself...  You can assign keystrokes to any button or axis on any controller as far as I can see. Working the cranes with my CH quad is a ton of fun.  I wish I could load an entire boat instead of four containers :)
To me this is a HUGE improvement in the Joystick area and I couldn't be happier. Thanks for listening to our request from 06.
Thanks V-STEP,
-Paul

Bucherâ„¢

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2007, 11:51:33 »

IMHO, the controls in SS08 are light years above and beyond 06 for joystick users.  I am using  Logitech G25 for my wheel, my CH throttle quad with separate AXIS for independent throttle control and a seperate Joystick for my bow thrusters utilizing the rotational Axis.  This was impossible in SS06 and for the user with a Saitek, just go and set up your controls yourself...  You can assign keystrokes to any button or axis on any controller as far as I can see. Working the cranes with my CH quad is a ton of fun.  I wish I could load an entire boat instead of four containers :)
To me this is a HUGE improvement in the Joystick area and I couldn't be happier. Thanks for listening to our request from 06.
Thanks V-STEP,
-Paul

This means that SS08 supports 2 joystikcs???  hmmm getting some good ideas :P
Electric Engineer
*|| Engine Officer
on
M/V Pearl of Scandinavia, M/V Tor Anglia, C/S Lodbrog, C/S Peter Faber, M/V Kronprins Frederik and M/V Prins Joakim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines