Hello Guest May 17, 2024, 22:54:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sailboats in SSE  (Read 6567 times)

Sunseekeringo

• Forum member
Re: Sailboats in SSE
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2011, 17:40:49 »

Hi Marty,

thanks for your explanation...I understand the problems and I really can imagine that every additional extras just would reduce the speed of the game. At least, it´s good to know, although it´s a shame.

Is the SSE really that much more complex than the flight simulator? It´s hard to understand for me.

regards
Ingo

mvsmith

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2011, 22:07:37 »

Hi Ingo,

Yes, the inter-frame computations for the ship dynamics are much more complex than that required to fly planes. Air turbulence is handled in a rather simplistic way, but ships have to respond to the actual shapes of the waves. The dynamics have to be applied to static ships—so that they can be towed—and to all AI ships. In addition, the AI ships do not simply follow pre-drawn tracks as they do in SS08, but find their way to a single goal by an autopilot routine that refers to the chart to keep the ship in water of sufficient depth.

I first flew Bruce Artwick’s flight simulator in the 1980s on an 8MHz IBM AT with 512 KB RAM and a 30MB hard drive. The graphics are better now—everything was amber then, but the Cessna flew about as well then as it does today—but with fewer gegaws in the cockpit.
So much for the fabled complexity of simulating aircraft flight.

Regards,
Marty

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2011, 01:14:51 »

I am starting to sense a really dark and dirty secret here. I had my doubts about "Ship Simulators" capabilities of realism unlike Train Sims, Flight Sim and now Sailsim. When It comes to other games that include ships they make it look really nice such as Silent Hunter 3,4,5. I don't see why it shuldbe this complicated, other companies have a straightforward patterns and timelines to any of their games, and the end result is fine.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 01:20:57 by Third Mate »

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

World Towing

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 05:17:13 »

Lets add a wind.... ok javascript:void(0);

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 08:53:39 »

Hi Ingo,

It was never claimed, so far as I know, that wind had any direct action on ships, just as there are no tides or currents in Extremes. In fact, the lack of wind effect has been mentioned many times on this forum.

While I agree that those features would be nice to have, they are not feasible within the current architecture without a serious impact on performance that would make the game un-playable on any systems available to the majority of the players.

Regards,
Marty

Can just release it for the players that have the rig to handle it, still better than nothing

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

jaetee

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2011, 01:08:29 »

I bought SSE with the HOPE that I would be able to recreate some of the first solo sailboats circumvented the World...Bummer!!! 8)
JaeTee
Alienware Areaa-51 Custom ALX-R8
Windows Vista Ultimate @ 32Bit
NVIDIA Nforce 790i MOB
INTEL QX9770 Quad CPU O/C 400Mhz
4GB Cosair DDR3 Mem
Dual 300GB Raid SATA HD @ 10K RPM
1-TB HD @ 7200RPM
Dual NVIDIA GTX 280 1024MG SLI Conf Graphics
Philips DH4B1S 4X SATA HH-BLU-RAY Optical Drive

mvsmith

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2011, 03:47:43 »

I bought SSE with the HOPE that I would be able to recreate some of the first solo sailboats circumvented the World...Bummer!!! 8)

I doubt that any sailboat has been able to circumvent the world—or has any vessel, or person.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2011, 04:54:48 »

I doubt that any sailboat has been able to circumvent the world—or has any vessel, or person.
Oh, relax. It was clearly an honest mistake; everyone's prone to errors. "Circumnavigate"  is very clearly the term he was thinking of ::)

Smithacus

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2011, 05:57:14 »

I don't see why a wind system would be needed. It's just another form of power like invisible imaginary diesel engines turning propellers. Catching the wind could be controlled by what the throttle buttons do now. All the other extra controls of sails and stuff would be automatic, no need to fill up the whole keyboard with controls, that's what the imaginary crew is there for. Just like the imaginary crew oils the Vermaas's engines, scrubs the barnacles off the hull, and serves noodles on odd days and meatloaf on even days, while I, as captain, spin the wheel and toot the horn. Oh, c'mon, you know what I mean: those little Troninites that run around inside the computer making stuff happen. I'm just a user.
If you name is not Rosie then stop counting rivets.

jaetee

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2011, 08:07:24 »

Oh, relax. It was clearly an honest mistake; everyone's prone to errors. "Circumnavigate"  is very clearly the term he was thinking of ::)

Thank-you.  How silly some people are <sigh>
JaeTee
Alienware Areaa-51 Custom ALX-R8
Windows Vista Ultimate @ 32Bit
NVIDIA Nforce 790i MOB
INTEL QX9770 Quad CPU O/C 400Mhz
4GB Cosair DDR3 Mem
Dual 300GB Raid SATA HD @ 10K RPM
1-TB HD @ 7200RPM
Dual NVIDIA GTX 280 1024MG SLI Conf Graphics
Philips DH4B1S 4X SATA HH-BLU-RAY Optical Drive
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up