Hello Guest May 17, 2024, 20:56:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New Vessel in the game,classic sailvessel.What do you think?  (Read 13600 times)

marcstrat

• Global Moderator

Hoy,
Well, again we have a newone in the game,please give your opinion.
Marc
N

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
Re: New Vessel in the game,classic sailvessel.What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 15:25:25 »

No walktrough,just steering the vessel
N

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 15:32:49 »

Hi
No like watchhaven it was not possible to have the wake or walkthrough mode
                                                                                                   Eric

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 15:53:56 »

The one thing I dislike that it's not possible to see the whole ship from cameras "1" & "4". 
But a tall ship in SS it's a great present anyway.  Good work!  :2thumbs:
Hope to see some other tall ships in future SS, going if not under sail then under engine.
keep it gnarly

jibemorel

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 18:22:49 »

A great present. Thanks to all people involved.

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 18:41:53 »

Sorry to be a bit blunt, but I think this is just pointless.

The model is not detailed enough to be a player vessell. It is starting to frustrate me that VSTEP are agreeing to present these packs to customers who play this game for its realism.

I'm sorry, but these packs are starting to annoy me. They present no real update to the game and in my eyes the game is going backwards now. Who would want to spoil such a fantastic game by making empty & unfinished models?

If the models were as good as the main game vessels, and the so called 'add-on' packs were actually adding something to the game, then I would be behind them all the way.

Sadly I feel they are not.

I look forward to Ship Simulator Extremes with enthusiasm and I'm sorry for the rant. I just had to say something about it! :)
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 18:46:50 »

I agree..the ship looks under standards.. :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 18:52:59 by saltydog »

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 18:49:52 »

You may be right at some point that it's starting to look like VS, but then - no one is forcing you or other people to play these add-on ships.
SS08 has exhausted it's spirit after the JJ was released, so why not to beat it to the end now before SSE arrives?
keep it gnarly

mvsmith

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 19:50:48 »

I agree with CaptainSpencer.

Putting a diesel engine on an 1850 extreme clipper makes little sense. It is particularly insulting to Flying Cloud, arguably the most famous of the California Clippers.

As a static model, she is quite good. Her spars and rigging are pretty close to what she actually carried. It is unfortunate that we can’t see the massive canvas she could deploy.

If anyone is interested in learning what it was like to sail her, I recommend David Shaw’s book Flying Cloud in paperback ISBN 0-06-093478-6.

John1000

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 21:47:19 »

Hmm, does she leave a wake?
no she does not leave a wake a hate when their isnt one it just doesnt seem real to me

another thing that is kinda weird they say that the vessel can go 22kn i can only get it up to 15kn what about you guys?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 21:51:02 by John1000 »

mvsmith

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 22:21:59 »

If you are interested in the model’s spar plan:

The three masts are, from the bow:
Foremast (113 ft), Mainmast (127 ft), and Mizzen Mast (102 ft). An additional 18 ft of each mast was below deck, resting on the keel.

Aft of the Mizzen are the Spanker Gaff and, below it, the Spanker Boom.

Each mast has three sections. From the deck, they are:
The Fore, Main, or Mizzen mast proper.
The Fore, Main, or Mizzen Topmast
The Fore, Main, or Mizzen Topgallant Pole Mast

Each mast has five Yards from which the sails are hung:
The lowest is the Fore, Main, or Mizzen yard.
The Fore, Main, or Mizzen Topmast yard
The Fore, Main, or Mizzen Topgallant yard
The Fore, Main, or Mizzen Royal yard
The Fore, Main, or Mizzen Skysail yard

Forward of the bow are the Bowsprit and the Jibboom

mvsmith

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 22:33:01 »

Think about it, there's no reason that they shouldn't have everything the current player vessels have.

Hi Shane,

They can’t have everything the player ship has because they are kluged from the static model.
The pack crew did not have access to the 3D model to add walkthrough masks, etc. They could only do what the Ship Editor allows them to do: Add propulsion, lights, attachments, etc.

Marty

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 22:41:36 »

I would rather wait longer for a decent ship rather than releasing lots of empty, pointless and amaturish packs.

Sorry VSTEP, this has not done you any favours in my eyes. You are VERY good at what you do, so please don't let it down by releasing packs like these.

Missions are fine, we don't have enough of those :)
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

mvsmith

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 23:15:10 »

...another thing that is kinda weird they say that the vessel can go 22kn i can only get it up to 15kn what about you guys?

On 31 July, running before a gale off the coast of Chile with shortened sail, Flying Cloud exceeded 18 knots. She often made good 12 knots. Never 22 knots!

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 23:23:43 »

Well some people obviously don't know what they're talking about eh - mentioning no names of course ;)

hhdawrs

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 06:33:32 »

I was disappointed with the lack of Rules of the Road performance in the early days of 2008.  I returned to rail sims then for the better realism, specifically Razorback Railway, and came here today because of the frequent emails re your new pack downloads.

I would hope that if good packs cannot be created with the existing tools, that Ship Simulator doesn't follow Auran downhill by creating fluff just to keep their name in lights.
Herb

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 08:09:00 »

I was disappointed with the lack of Rules of the Road performance in the early days of 2008.  I returned to rail sims then for the better realism, specifically Razorback Railway, and came here today because of the frequent emails re your new pack downloads.

I would hope that if good packs cannot be created with the existing tools, that Ship Simulator doesn't follow Auran downhill by creating fluff just to keep their name in lights.
Hoy,
What do you mean by "lack of rules of the road performance"?
Marc
N

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 09:26:43 »

I would rather wait longer for a decent ship rather than releasing lots of empty, pointless and amaturish packs.

Sorry VSTEP, this has not done you any favours in my eyes. You are VERY good at what you do, so please don't let it down by releasing packs like these.

Missions are fine, we don't have enough of those :)
For The Record
When I read these sort of comments it make me wonder if Horst/Hugh/Terry/Des/Angus and the
rest of us should just stop making the missions and update's that take hours to test and complete
THE IDEA behind these packs was to give you something different till the release of Extremes
these come from the creators forum released by v-step so Please Do Not Blame Them For These
POINTLESS EMPTY PACKS.
Anyone else feel the same I can allways ask the rest of them and we will stop .
                                                                                                          Eric

mvsmith

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 10:28:02 »

Hi Eric,

We have always had the problem that few understand what it takes to produce a new ship for the simulator.
I think that many did not grasp the fact that new ships were not claimed to be to be made for the packs, but rather existing static ships were adapted to the extent possible. Some of the publicity for the packs contributed to that misconception.

Many people worked hard to provide additional enjoyment in the game. Given the limitations on what was possible, the results were mostly good. Some ideas however, were questionable and were attempts to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear.

Regards,
Marty

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2010, 11:25:11 »

For The Record
When I read these sort of comments it make me wonder if Horst/Hugh/Terry/Des/Angus and the
rest of us should just stop making the missions and update's that take hours to test and complete
THE IDEA behind these packs was to give you something different till the release of Extremes
these come from the creators forum released by v-step so Please Do Not Blame Them For These
POINTLESS EMPTY PACKS.
Anyone else feel the same I can allways ask the rest of them and we will stop .
                                                                                                          Eric

Sid,

I am not blaming VSTEP for these content packs - I am blaming them for allowing the release of these packs because of their poor content.

If you had read my post above you will find that I have no problem with ANY missions at all, and actually said we need more of them in the game. I seriously do appreciate the effort people put into additional content for the game, but I feel that these packs are doing more harm than good.

Missions are great, lights are kinda ok if you want dots of light everywhere but one thing I DO NOT agree on is making static AI vessels that were never intended to be player vessels made into one.

I completely understand the time it takes to create new player ships, and appreciate everything that is done, however the latest so called 'new player ships' annoy me, because most of them are just static AI with a engine slapped in.

Sid please don't stop making missions, but my personal view is that new static AI ships do not cut it, but most other updates are ok.

Another thing is, but why on earth do have all the current ship's dynamics in the game updated by these packs? Why have they been changed?  ???

I'm sorry to sound like a grumpy old git - and I know you may find this hard to believe but I do apprciate everything people do for this game. If you didn't realise I am trying to do something for the community too :)

I'm all up for new things for Ship Sim - but come on guys!!

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2010, 11:54:24 »

Strangely enough, the introduction to the "Flying Cloud" pack says:- "This is a fun ship and is not intended to be realistic." It then goes on to ask if you wish to continue. ::) It is very easy to say "No".  ??? After all, the ship steers, stops and starts, and does everything that other ships in the game can do. Most importantly though, SS2008 is a game, albeit a very detailed and intricate one, so I think it reasonable to have a bit of fun. As the introduction says it IS meant only as a bit of fun, and claims nothing more. :-*
BTW, Captain Spencer, you aint old enough yet to claim the status of an "Old Git", grumpy or otherwise. :doh:

Regards,
Angus.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 11:57:15 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2010, 11:57:42 »

I agree Angus, having fun in a game is a must - but I just personally think that these packs are just a bit more harm than they are good.

As I said, the actual content of the packs is ok - new missions, lights horns ect are fine. It's just new player ships I have a gripe about. These packs just oooze VS all the time to me.

Keep up the good work though - I am eargerly looking forward to SSE :)

EDIT: Just saw your reply Angus - I just don't want people to think I'm seriously moaning about this. I just want this game to keep being as good as it is :)

mvsmith

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2010, 12:00:31 »

Here is another example of a misperception:
http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,18319.msg246856.html#msg246856

Powering the sailing yacht, which could conceivably have auxiliary propulsion, is very different from powering a mid 19th-century ship with completely naked yards.
It is like equipping Titanic with a bow thruster to better avoid icebergs.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 12:27:09 by mvsmith »

Timbo

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2010, 13:07:31 »

Hi All,
       Just to add my bit like all the add on's including the updated ships which are very good as know it takes a long time to make them/test for bugs.

I thank and we all thank Horst/Hugh/Terry No 1 hehe :-) just joking around/Des/Angus and any else,
know it's all a bit more  fun till  SSE comes out.I really like the flying cloud sailing ship a very nice add on to the
ship sim game.

Cheers Timbo  :) :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Captain Best

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2010, 13:11:03 »

Sid,

I am not blaming VSTEP for these content packs - I am blaming them for allowing the release of these packs because of their poor content.

If you had read my post above you will find that I have no problem with ANY missions at all, and actually said we need more of them in the game. I seriously do appreciate the effort people put into additional content for the game, but I feel that these packs are doing more harm than good.

Missions are great, lights are kinda ok if you want dots of light everywhere but one thing I DO NOT agree on is making static AI vessels that were never intended to be player vessels made into one.

I completely understand the time it takes to create new player ships, and appreciate everything that is done, however the latest so called 'new player ships' annoy me, because most of them are just static AI with a engine slapped in.

Sid please don't stop making missions, but my personal view is that new static AI ships do not cut it, but most other updates are ok.

Another thing is, but why on earth do have all the current ship's dynamics in the game updated by these packs? Why have they been changed?  ???

I'm sorry to sound like a grumpy old git - and I know you may find this hard to believe but I do apprciate everything people do for this game. If you didn't realise I am trying to do something for the community too :)

I'm all up for new things for Ship Sim - but come on guys!!
I couldn't be more agreed there Spencer. this ship looks poor. Ii thod this game were suposed to be hq game. but these pack realesed by someone makes the game even more poor. no wakes, bad dymanics. i dont want to make movies of ships which dont make any wakes. its not nice. so make som properly ships
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines