Hello Guest May 07, 2024, 16:37:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pride of Bilbao  (Read 21999 times)

MokMok

• Forum member
Re: Pride of Bilbao
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2011, 10:37:25 »

Sponsons are extra floating devices along the hull of a ferry. The will provide extra stability and prevent capsizing when water enters the cardeck of a ferry. Modern ferries do have a 'built in' sponson at the main cardeck level, like the Dutch LPD Hr.Ms. Rotterdam L800 and the newer vessels of the Stena Line. The Hr.Ms. Rotterdam L800 is a Landing Platform Dock which has a welldock, a kind of a cardeck, which can be flooded without capsizing. The thick built-in side sponsons keep her upright when the dock has been flooded.

The ferry MS Princess of Scandinavia, retrofitted with side sponsons:

A ferry with built-in side sponsons, Hr.Ms. Rotterdam L800 Landing Platform Dock:

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2011, 10:45:49 »

Sponsons are in the restaurant and go with forksons and knifesons and you use them to eat your soupsons.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2011, 11:45:27 »

What are sponsons?

They are special air-filled tanks that aid stability

See Prince of Scandinavia

before:
http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/tor_britannia_1975_bild_8.htm

After (With Sponsons added):
http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/prince_of_scandinavia_1975_b_3.htm

MokMok

• Forum member
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2011, 11:57:23 »

Some ferries have side sponsons like some older vessels of DFDS, but many vessels have been retrofitted with only a ducktail sponson at the stern. Why do ferries have only a ductail sponson at the stern in stead of side sponsons and will it also prevent capsizing like a side sponson does?

Like the Christian IV, former Olau Brittannia, which has a ducktail sponson at her stern.

Before adding the ducktail sponson:

Note the added ducktail sponson at her stern:

« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 12:08:50 by MokMok »

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2011, 07:27:35 »

For some hull forms the duck tail sponsons are enough for the vessel to meet the survivability criterea set in the new regs, usually these are ships with internal void spaces shich act as both a buoyancy space and an outer skin which will maintain the watertight integrity in case of a collision.

As to which companies are the safest to sail with, they all comply to the same regulations.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2011, 12:03:08 »

Taking the name of this topic, the Pride's older sis, Mariella, has this rear 'sponson', but 'Anna'/the Pride doesn't.

Yet they are the same design... Is that just different companies- some comply with basics and some go 'overboard' or different classification societies?
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2011, 15:24:05 »

It wouldn't be different classification societies because the rules are IMO rules which are not open to interpretation by class, I would guess that both options met the criterea and the 2 different companies just chose to do it differently, in fact now that I think about it that may be the answer to MokMok's question in most cases that either will do and that companies just chose what they felt was least ugly.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2011, 20:41:17 »

Well The Pride has nothing external.

Mariella has that big lump of metal on her backside. She looks like jennie lopez!

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2011, 13:35:50 »

Couple of update pics

I am trying to make it as acurate as possible (the plans come from a book and thus have a creasey denty thing in the middle, and aren't quite clear enough... :/), but this isn't quite so easy, so there may be some slight differences to the real thing...

Edit: Another small update:

« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 15:54:01 by The Ferry Man »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2011, 16:16:54 »

TFM, I can't comment on the technical accuracies of dimensions etc, but that shot of her stbd qtr captures her look so well.

OK, I'm biased and make no secret of it, but this is the best model I have seen barr none.

In all seriousness, when the great day comes for her launch, I hope I will have the honour to 'test' the model. You can be sure that I will leave no rust streak un-noticed on the real one!

9.5/10 for the God of all modellers.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2011, 11:49:11 »

Coming up for the 3 month anniversary, Mr TFM.

BTW I've found some photo evidence for the funnel. SHould taper in a bit at the top.

Bit still your best work so far by many (nautical) miles

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2011, 20:15:03 »

Ahh OK

Thanks

and yes - It will be done ;)

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2011, 20:30:52 »

Nice model.