Hello Guest May 22, 2024, 19:18:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to build my own controller?  (Read 56389 times)

KAYEM6

• Forum member
Re: How to build my own controller?
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2008, 01:11:05 »

could someone explain to me what a pot and bu0836 is? About how much does it cost to make one and could someone explain to me how to? Pigdog how much were the penta throttles?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 03:43:36 by KAYEM6 »

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2008, 05:00:09 »

Hi KAYEM6,

A Pot, or potentiometer in full, is basicall a rotary knob. Like for example a volume knob on a stereo system, that you turn either clock- or counter-clockwise to turn the music louder or less loud.

The BU0836 is a small, ready made, circuitboard, that you can use to wire pots or knobs to, to have axis and buttons to build your own joystick, or indeed, shipsim controller. It is the "brain" of the controller, that way.

Your pots and knobs would be wired to this unit (and each other, in places) and the unit will be connected, via USB, to the PC...and then the circuit board tells the PC what you are operating. You can assign the axis (pot movements) and knobs as you see fit. Thus you'll end up with a custom built, fully programmable 'joystick'.

If you have some materials laying around that you can use to make the 'body' of the controller, then you probably only need pots, some knobs, and the BU0386 unit. I guess you can make one for about 50 to 70 Dollars (the BU0386 costs about $35, the rest is fairly cheap). Maybe a bit more if you do not have some spare wood (or something for the casing) lying around.

I am building one, and although it's on the shelf for a bit whilst I am busy with other things, I have spent about 45 Euro's in materials and I have everything I need. So yeah, 45 Euro's, not bad for a custom build controller. Now it's just a matter of putting it all together. And for that phase, one would obviously also need some basic skills with several different tools, and one would need to have (or borrow, or rent) some tools too of course. But it's relatively easy, really. It all depends how far you want to go, and how good you want it to be. You can buy second hand real gear, but that's really really pricey, usually. So this is a nice way to do it, and not expensive.

Regards,
Fred

* Edit * Typo
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 05:07:04 by Mad_Fred »

KAYEM6

• Forum member
« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2008, 12:57:19 »

Thanks now all i have to do is figure out why my computer freezes while im in multi player mode. oh yea, how much and where can i get the pots.

Gamefan!

• Forum member
« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2008, 14:10:05 »

Cool, i am going to try it out ;P
Loyal Shipsim fan ;)

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2008, 22:17:43 »

Thanks now all i have to do is figure out why my computer freezes while im in multi player mode. oh yea, how much and where can i get the pots.

No problem!

If you have a problem with the game, you can post your problem (or look for an answer first) in the Technical Support section of the forum.

As far as pots go, you can get cheap ones for a dollar or a couple of dollars. And there's also real real expensive ones too, it all depends on what quality you want. You can get them in hardware stores that do electronics aswell. Or some home-appliance stores that sell spare parts, something like that.

KAYEM6

• Forum member
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2008, 01:44:59 »

Thanks again :)

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2008, 02:49:09 »

My pleasure!  :)

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2008, 03:20:09 »

I just had the craziest idea ever... but it just might work!

1) research Titanic's navigation bridge wheel and engine telemotors until there is nothing left to find

2) somehow get the materials originally used for it

3) rebuild the navigation bridge wheel and 1 main engine telemotor, altering it so it can fit this process (I think alteration is needed?)

4) run through this process

5) pilot the Titanic using replicated controls ;D

Thing is, the navigation bridge wheel is believed to be 3.9 feet in diameter! :o

So how much altering of the original design do you think would be needed? It sure would make for a funny Youtube video ;D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 03:22:15 by RMS Gigantic »

mvsmith

« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2008, 05:03:08 »

Engine Telemotors?  RMS Gigantic was the only ship to have engine telemotors.

I may be wrong about that. The Good Ship Lollypop may have had them as well.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 05:05:42 by mvsmith »

KAYEM6

• Forum member
« Reply #109 on: November 03, 2008, 12:03:09 »

sounds good.

Hmmm my uncle has a telemotor? ;D

TerryRussell

« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2008, 17:18:18 »

What's his Rate of Turn (RoT) at full steam ahead?

KAYEM6

• Forum member
« Reply #111 on: November 04, 2008, 01:08:42 »

Not sure its kinda in peices like a kit.  ???

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #112 on: November 04, 2008, 04:08:08 »

How would I fit a 3.9 foot wheel and a telemotor in my computer room? ;D

Well I suppose I have some room towards the area opposite my comp :P

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #113 on: November 04, 2008, 04:17:27 »

My appologies for the double post, but I have a question:

How would you set a limit as to how far you could turn the wheel or engine controls?

freddythefish007

• Forum member
« Reply #115 on: March 10, 2009, 18:04:06 »

Anyone else know where I can buy the BU0836 as I don't use Paypal

**EDIT** Just found out that I don't need to use Paypal
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 18:20:48 by freddythefish007 »

freddythefish007

• Forum member
« Reply #116 on: March 11, 2009, 17:58:47 »

Another question... Im not sure on what type of buttons to use, I want start and stop for both engines and a horn.
P.S Will i need to use Diodes???  ???

Freddy

bsm2003

• Forum member
« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2009, 18:02:24 »

Another question... Im not sure on what type of buttons to use, I want start and stop for both engines and a horn.
P.S Will i need to use Diodes???  ???

Freddy

For the buttons use spst momentary

something like this. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062539

no diodes will be needed since there is only 3 switches.

Here is my board so far still a work in progress.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 18:15:48 by bsm2003 »
Never get caught with your head in the head.

freddythefish007

• Forum member
« Reply #118 on: March 13, 2009, 17:36:01 »

Only little old me again... I was wondering how i connect up buttons as i don't want to mess this masterpiece up.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2009, 11:08:19 »

Hi all,

I've revived an old project and am currently testing it.. works like a charm.

But it needs a few better, and more important, much bigger knobs for the two rudders (2 in the center) and the thrusters (the two on the right side). I might make 'tiller style knobs' from scratch though, for the rudders, I have a few interesting parts that would combine nicely.

And I'll give the knobs some decals, or dials if you will, although it allready feels intuitive without that visual aid, but it will improve the look of course.

I'm thinking of buying another circuit board to connect up analog sticks from an old joypad (and loads more knobs) to also be able to operate azipods properly, which these two rudder potmeters wont do.

And then it'd probably get a new case.. and will be a bit less.. shabby looking.. hehe.. But hey, it works like a charm so far.

(The covered/blurred monitors are for a reason that should be obvious... heh..)

Fred
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 11:12:11 by Mad_Fred »

TerryRussell

« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2009, 18:34:10 »

(The covered/blurred monitors are for a reason that should be obvious... heh..)

And before anyone asks, no. Fred is not logged on to some dodgy web sites.  :evil:

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #121 on: March 16, 2009, 20:35:04 »

Well, you made a control unit, so won't you be able to build yourself a nice rudder knob?

Here is a nice example to follow.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2009, 21:33:25 »

Hiya Sam,

Yeah I am looking into something nice.

But there's not much room on this 'prototype' for two of those. And I reckon two big dial type knobs might be nice for this version.

I'll have to see what I can find to fiddle around with..  :)

Terry..   :lol:

wiplasher5

• Forum member
« Reply #123 on: March 19, 2009, 02:16:44 »

Hey guys I am up for building one of these things but I have no idea how I would make azzi pod controlls also if there is any where to buy a premade one that would save me from a few days of work.   

**EDIT**
Okay well there are only two controllers made for Ship sim. they are the ShipDriver which has already been talked about. Well it will begin selling on April 10th 2009. not that far away :). There still has been know price set. the web site is here http://www.simw.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=dsp_product_details&pid=1886

The other one is the ship control Unit from Wilco Publishing it was made for ship sim 2006 i do not know if it is compatiable with 2008. I dont know if they stopped selling ti or not because it distributer no longer sells it but on its page it is listed for € 288.43 and $362.00. Which is crazy i think. here is the link http://www.wilcopub.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=prod_scu

Now I have the Saitek X52 control system for FSX and i made it work for this and i love it i can use every thing i took me about 25 min. to set it up but it works. Now this does cost around $150  which is pretty high i somehow got mine for $40 at bestbuy because they put the wrong tag on it and we talked and they gave it to me for $40 which is cool.

I think i am going to go ahead and build one of these things which should be easy becuase i live along the Ohio River. I just am going to fig. the prices and then i see what i can do.

Hope this info helped anyone that is to lazy to make one lol :)

**EDIT**
okay so i have been looking at the prices of everything and they are a little high so i might not go out and do bow and stern thrusters till i get more money i just need help on picking out the right Potentiometer. there are alot of different ones to choose from. i have also seen people makeing the end of it thicker i dont see that in to picture what is that for? I also need to know if i need 2 rudder knobs thank you and really looking forward to a reply
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 03:37:33 by wiplasher5 »

mike415

• Forum member
« Reply #124 on: April 03, 2009, 23:13:01 »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines