Hello Guest May 22, 2024, 17:25:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Bigger Waves  (Read 6185 times)

Zulu

• Forum member
Bigger Waves
« on: October 09, 2008, 08:16:20 »

Very new to all this but can the wave height be made bigger than 4M when in free roam mode????

Traddles

• Global Moderator
Re: Bigger Waves
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 14:45:29 »

The answer is NO It is not possible in any mode,so do not even try. If you fiddle with this sort of thing it invalidates your guarantee. Use the search facility and you will find this topic has been going on for a long time, with the same answer always.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 14:47:04 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

TerryRussell

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 18:00:36 »

Hi Zulu.

Welcome to the forum.

When you do that search, you'll find a very long thread about this, in which people asked the same question (many, many times). Eventually so many people got so fed up with the questions that the thread got locked before riots broke out. I must admit that I get quite irritated about it all at the end.

Feelings still run high on the subject.

Basically, the game is not designed to produce larger waves. Anything greater than 4 metres just looks horribly wrong. The original version of the game had a loophole that meant people could edit a file to cause it. As part of the bug-fixing, that got corrected. Now it cannot be done.

Some people have tried introducing the old file to the new version, and then found that they have completely messed up the game. At that point, there is no technical support.  :'(

Anyway, here are some links that you may find useful:

The Help Page.  To assist you with forum posting, and the more advanced features on the forum -
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php?action=help

The Forum Rules.  To help you make informed decisions regarding posting - http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,26.0.html

The Search function.  A very useful tool to help you find the answer to that elusive question -
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php?action=search

The Tutorials board.  Check here for guides that cover common questions -
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/board,35.0.html

The Technical Support board/s.  Got a problem with your game?  This is where you need to check first.

Ship Simulator 2006 Technical Support -
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/board,9.0.html

Ship Simulator 2008 Technical Support -
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/board,5.0.html

* Please note:  To access Technical Support, you will need to register your Ship Simulator licence key into your forum profile.  If you're not sure how to do this, please check the General FAQs.

The FAQ's and Announcements board.  Check here for answers to commonly asked questions.  Also a useful source for the latest information regarding Ship Simulator development - http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/board,1.0.html

Zulu

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 11:50:44 »

OK thats fine thanks allot for the advise

TerryRussell

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 17:38:35 »

No problem.

Have a good search around the forum, as it contains loads of useful information. But it is IMMENSE! Almost certainly, any question you have will have been asked previously and answered previously.

Gloat

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 22:04:19 »

Yep... Terry is right. This forum is a great place. It is very hard to find a topic that hasn't been disscussed on it! I personally feel that restricting waves under 4M in which many people could acctually SWIM in isnt very enjoyable. But as Terry said, The game just goes Shamballs and crumples down into a load of used lorry petrol  :P

What I mean is it really looks very unrealistic if waves are above this height. I have watched youtube videos which consisted of people (before bug fixing) haveing very high waves and filming ships on very high waves. One youtuber showed us a tutorial of how to make waves bigger. It is not possible. I think the poor old powerboat (which is already being dwarfed by 4M waves will be panick stricken to find bigger waves and just walk out of your copy of Ship Sim!

What is even worse though... is harbour wave restriction. This also makes the game very unrealistic. I think Vstep should urgently upload a patch that stops harbour wave restriction so the game can be more exiteing when a cruise ship (like ocean star) has to be tugged out on huge waves. :D

Come and join us at the ship sim wiki! www.shipsimulator.wikia.com
Head Aministrator at Ship Simulator wiki.

Dave M

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 22:42:59 »

Hi Microsoft,
I can't say I have a huge personal knowledge of the worlds harbours but from the harbours I do know about, (and also from the name itself), Harbours/Havens have been built to provide calmer waters for vessels to dock in.

The main reason that modern day vessels, (especially cruise ships and ferries because of their very large profiles), need tugs is because of wind force not waves.

Regards, Dave
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950  @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz

TerryRussell

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 22:50:06 »

Hi Dave.

Mr Gate's Lackey does have a bit of a point. The Solent is classed as a harbour, so it can never have waves above 2 metres. In reality it does, of course.

Mind you, a 2 metre wave is the height of a fairly tall person, so it isn't something you'd want to go out in with many of the vessels in Ship Simulator.

But as Terry said, The game just goes Shamballs and crumples down into a load of used lorry petrol  :P

Err... where did I say that? I must have nodded off....

Is Shamballs near Rockall?

Person264

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 21:22:43 »

I could have sworn it was 0.2m restriction, not 2m

firestar12

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 21:33:41 »

I could have sworn it was 0.2m restriction, not 2m
Mee too.

TerryRussell

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 21:37:04 »

OK, then. It's the height of a very tall cat.

firestar12

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 21:39:52 »

OK, then. It's the height of a very tall cat.
lol. But you woulndt want your harbour filled with tall cats now, Would you.

Gloat

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 10:24:41 »

Cats? Im going down to the harbour NOW! I'd love a pet kitten! (but tall cats arnt usually kittens)

Hope they are ginger.

Hi DavidM.

I dont agree about harbour waves. There are two that I know of that actually SANK becuase of waves. I mean, harbours... SANK? thats a ships job!

Port Royal (America) was a pirates port. But because of waves it sank. We have proof that port royal once excisted, because  remains have been found.

The kingdom of Atlantis was worse. It was an island! Because of waves it sank into the sea. We dont have much proof on this theory though...

Don't expect to see these harbours modeled, theough. We don't have much evidence of what was there and how it was like...

Regards
Microsoft

FOYEN

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 11:18:17 »

I'm also playing "Virtual Skipper 5" game & that game also has Marseille environment (although, in SS Marseille is better detailed). Well,  in that game the height of the waves is depending on the distance from the coast line, just like in real life. Even if the weather & wind are constant & time is the same, those waves which're in the open sea are much higher that those in the harbour waters. On the 1 & 2 screenshots from that game you can see waves in the harbour water & in the open sea (far from the coast line) under the "wind strenght 3"  - looks calm, but difference in height is visible. The 3 & 4 screenshots're showing the same but under the "wind strenght 7" (almost storm in that game) - on the image #4  waves are much bigger than in the harbour. In that game to have a big waves you can set only the wind strenght & the waves height sets automatically, depending on the place in the environment.

It'll be great & more realistic to have such thing in SS with a different waves height in one environment - from calm harbour waters to big waves in the open sea (for example, in Marseille) at the same time.
But to have a stormy weather with waves that are more than 4 m in height in the harbour waters - excuse me, that looks stupid  :P

If this idea for SS was already discussed on forum, then I'm sorry for repeating it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 16:53:26 by FOYEN »

Biggles1975

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 12:46:11 »

I'm sure VSTEP will get there in the end with bigger and better waves  ;)

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 15:22:34 »

Since when was Port Royal in America? It is at the entrance to Kingston Harbour in Jamaica. At the time Port Royal was overcome Jamaica was British, though of course it is now a Country in it's own right. The port and town sank into the sea due to an earthquake, not necessarily because of waves. The earthquake was followed by three tsunamis which followed the liquifaction of the sand on which the town was built, these waves further softened the sand such that about two thirds of the town sank. This all took place at 11.43am on 7th June, 1692.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 15:33:51 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Gloat

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 22:44:12 »

thats one day after my birthday

Person264

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 16:04:30 »

Wow, you're really old.

Nathan|C

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 16:09:37 »

Wow, you're really old.

I was thinking the same. This year was your 316th birthday then?

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 18:42:06 »

The cat sitting on my laptop over there <<< just said *meow??*

TerryRussell

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2008, 20:08:54 »

Hi Chaps.

Please re-arrange the following into a well-known phrase or saying:

on please keep topic

Gloat

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2008, 12:40:27 »

thtas too hard Terry! Give us a clue!

I meant that the 6th of June is my birthday. Not exactly the year. ooooh... my birthday in 2006 it was devils day! muhahahaaa!

Anyway keeping on Topic, I await an extension to the limit of harbour waves in the next patch! 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 12:42:49 by Microsoft »

TerryRussell

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2008, 12:56:51 »

Anyway keeping on Topic, I await an extension to the limit of harbour waves in the next patch! 

Since that will not happen, does that make your comment off topic? Hmmm...  ;D

mvsmith

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2008, 14:06:02 »

There is a simple solution for anyone who thinks waves greater than 7 meters is that important:
Buy Ship Simulator 2008 Professional.

TerryRussell

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2008, 15:21:16 »

Seems fair to me.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines