Hello Guest May 07, 2024, 05:27:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building a computer to run Ship Simulator Extremes  (Read 2688 times)

sse william

• Forum member
Building a computer to run Ship Simulator Extremes
« on: April 06, 2013, 01:22:50 »

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone on this forum could give me some advise on building a computer that will run SSE as my current laptop doesn't meet the required minimun specs to play this game and other types of various games.

I am planning to spend around a £600-£700 budget to build this computer.

I was thinking of going for an Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz CPU, Asus GeForce GTX 660 1020MHz 2GB GPU, Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz Memory, Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-Bit OS.

I was just wondering if I decided to go with this hardware to build the computer.....
Would it be able to run SSE well?
How capable would it be of running the game on high settings?

Also if anyone wants to suggest better hardware or cheaper alternatives that will still run this game reasonably well, please reply with any advised use can offer me as it will be much appreciated.

I really want to purchase this game and feel that building a computer that can play this game well is my only solution for an enjoyable experience of gameplay.

Thanks.

Mr Robville

• Administrator
Re: Building a computer to run Ship Simulator Extremes
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 11:57:50 »

I think you got a great system there.
Currently the performance is hard to judge as SSE's engine is running too heavy.

For example, these are the specifications from stormforce:
My system specs:

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79
CPU: Intel Hex Core i7 3930K overclocked to 4.6Ghz
Cooler: Corsair H100
RAM: 16Gb Corsair Vengance LP
GPU: Nvidia 4Gb GTX690
SSD: 256Gb Corsair Performance Pro
HDD: 2 x 3Tb Western Digital Caviar Green
Sound: ASUS Xonar DX2
Case: CoolerMaster HAF-X
Monitor: 30” Dell Ultrasharp U3011

I play SSE full-screen at 2560 x 1600 with all of the quality settings in the game set to absolute maximum.

With these settings and at this resolution I usually get between 20-40 fps depending on the environment and the number of players.  :thumbs:

http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,20882.1225.html

And my gaming performance:

I tried MP last week and with anti alias turned off & ocean grid below the middle with about 15 players in the server and I had about 4 FPS  :doh:
Single player on Atlantic goes about 20-24FPS with the same settings.
My monitor is an LG Flatron wide 22" 1680X1050

I have a Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 1GB as graphics card with an Intel I7 Quad 2.8GHZ processor.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 16:22:03 »

Hi sse william,
As Mr Robville says above you would have no problem with that set up. My own computer, which started off as a Gallant AMD-560 GTS250 bought from Dino PC Ltd for £399.00. has been uprated by me to the specs shown in my DxDiag below. As you can see, apart from the CPU, which is an AMD Phenom ll x2 560 Black Edition, is now very similar to the Specs you suggest above. I have no problems with SSE at all and can play with 25 fps on most missions with settings set to the highest levels. I changed the PSU from 500watts to 600watts, increased the RAM from 4GB  to 8 GB, and changed the GPU from  a GeForce GTS 250 (1GB)to an EVGA GeForce GTX 660 (2GB). In order to ensure things didn't get too hot I also fitted a case fan to help in cooling. I attach a picture of the inside of my machine and you can see the graphics card is quite a big thing wich needs plenty of space to fit it in. I should point out that the overall cost is still below your lower budgetted cost of £600.

Kind regards,
Angus.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 16:32:34 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Jake_Savage

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 22:28:06 »

My laptop has no graphics booster and is quite old yet it runs SSE with little to no lag. I think you should try it with your Current system as it may work.

Slidur05

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 17:42:28 »

It looks like a good build, However my dad's old laptop runs SSE very well. You should try to run it on the laptop first, and if it doesn't work, then you should build the computer.

As for the computer specs,  :2thumbs: Me likey!

DakotaW

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 22:42:51 »

That looks like a pretty good gaming computer to me. You should have no problems maxing out most games. But, like others have mentioned, if you do not plan on using it for other games or simulators it may be a little over the top.

sse william

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 23:02:24 »

I would like to offer my thanks to all who have contributed their helpful advice in response to my query.

I have been saving for quite a while now and feel that the configuration above is suitable for this Ship Simulator Extremes product and could be even more than suitable, according to replies stating that it should have no problems maxing out most games.

I have done some research in gaming rigs and have decided that I want to build a system that will last me couple of years (being able to run past and recent releases), before needing any sort of upgrading as we all know the computer hardware industy nowadays release new processeors and graphics cards etc. virtually every week and so therefore would like to give myself a bit of leeway before considering any upgrading work.

I think I will begin to purchase the components needed for the system in the next week or two and will look forward to being able to play games such as SSE in reasonably good settings to make the most out the game(s)

Thanks agan for all who responed and I look forward to completing my first system build in hopefully a few weeks time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines