Hello Guest May 10, 2024, 21:42:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HM Unicorn’s Future: Dundee City Central Waterfront?  (Read 1467 times)

rjwhyte09

• Forum member

Hi People Just found out That the  Unicorn cannot remain afloat indefinitely, and that, in order to preserve her extraordinary originality, she should be docked in a dry berth covered from the weather.  

In recent years an opportunity has arisen for Unicorn to move to such a final berth within Dundee’s Central Waterfront development, close to where she spent her first century in Dundee.

This Picture show you were Unicorn could be the the company that own Unicorn said  This option would place HMS Unicorn in a spectacular triangular relationship with RRS Discovery and the V&A Dundee, and would bring Dundee’s two great historic ships back together.

ill update this soon if any comes. :2thumbs:

UNICORN BOTTOM PICTURE

« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 00:40:30 by rjwhyte09 »
VIRTUAL SHIPS & VIRTUAL SHIP LINES

> http://virtualshipsandvirtualshiplines.weebly.com/

clanky

• Forum member
Re: HM Unicorn’s Future: Dundee City Central Waterfront?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 14:25:00 »

Is Unicorn the one in the bottom photo?

It would be great to see her restored and properly preserved, it's a shame that something more hasn't been done already, considering that Britain was once the greatest maritime nation in the world they seem to be very happy to let that heritage disappear altogether.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 19:07:28 »

they seem to be very happy to let that heritage disappear altogether.

I think it's a big shame...really big shame. I suppose you can't save every ship, but it would be nice if Britain made an effort to keep some more of it's maritime heritage, after all as you say, Britain's history revolves around its Naval supremacy.

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 21:40:29 »

Clanky, thanks for your appraisal of British maritime experience. Coming from that other great Country of maritime exploration, Spain, that is indeed a compliment.

FYI HMS Unicorn was actually never used in combat and the way she looks now is pretty much the same since building in 1824- she never was masted and only used as a floating store.

She has a half sister in Hartlepool which IS masted and in good nick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Unicorn_(1824)
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 16:34:05 »

Stuart, I only live in Spain, I'm originally from Belfast.

Didn't realise that she was never masted, how bizarre, thanks for the info / link, very interesting.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 21:00:28 »

OK thanks, Clanky. My point about the Spanish still stands... as, er so does the point that the good people of Northern Ireland are also great seafaring people.

They did build titan....i.... :sleepy: :sleepy:c !
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines