Hello Guest May 11, 2024, 05:34:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Titanic  (Read 7961 times)

Britannic

• Forum member
Re: Titanic
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2007, 08:50:13 »

Lol- O.k stuart2007. But there is far more evidence that she snapped at 20deg than at 45, as the part of the hull which broke of the centre is clean serated. I don't really know enough about it to quote you wrong, as no-one does-admittedly, I shouldn't have said 'but we now know' before presenting the facts!  :)

I hate to sound like a flamin' cretin, but just saying... ;D

thanks, Sky
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 08:56:44 by Britannic »
When Ive finished Media college Ive got many desired jobs, one being; Simulator making!

Fredriksen

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2007, 22:48:02 »

Hello folks.

Titanic is a big ship and is hard to maneuver, especially when docking. In real, Titanic where towed.

In ship sim you dock Titanic, and later you are ready for a new trip, how do you turn Titanic around in ex. the Solent? The ship realy need tugboats to turn her around. I wonder if this could be posible...
At the bridge there are a "let go tug" telegraph..

BÃ¥tlaus mann er bunden.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2007, 22:56:15 »

Lol- O.k stuart2007. But there is far more evidence that she snapped at 20deg than at 45, as the part of the hull which broke of the centre is clean serated. I don't really know enough about it to quote you wrong, as no-one does-admittedly, I shouldn't have said 'but we now know' before presenting the facts!  :)

I hate to sound like a flamin' cretin, but just saying... ;D

thanks, Sky

Oh I wasn't trying to contradict you at all. I just think that a lot of 'marine historians' are deliberatley finding new evidence just to get their name in print, sell massive copies of their life story and retire rich. Call me a cynic...

Like anything, we never KNOW. But the theory you discribe may well be right.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Britannic

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2007, 12:38:32 »

Aye. I got the game on the first-and I see what you guys mean about that tilt! I was in mid-atlantic and all of a sudden, she flipped over to about 20 degrees! (I posted a photo of one of her 'tilt's in the media section.) I understand entirly what your saying-I am friends with a maritime historian and shes kinda like that.

Thanks, Sky.
When Ive finished Media college Ive got many desired jobs, one being; Simulator making!

Al Bundy

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2007, 12:49:41 »

TITANIC DID REALLY TILT ON THE FIRST FEW DAYS OF HER VOYAGE AS TOO MUCH COAL WAS LOADED ON THE STARBOARD SIDE. THIS WAS EVENED OUT, AND WASN'T QUITE AS ANGLED AS IN THE PICTURE FROM THE GAME, BUT SHE STILL TILTED!

Hi Britannic. Where do you have this from? I am just curious as I have never seen or heard this claim. It was the trimmers job to keep Titanic level.   

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2007, 23:41:22 »

I've heard this too. (no photographic evidence). There was a story about a coal fire (moving coal to other bunkers?)

And there was also reported to be a coal shortage at the time... maybe they filled one coal store and ran out of coal before filling the other side ;)

Probably just urban myths, but I have heard about a list.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Al Bundy

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2007, 15:24:41 »

Probably just urban myths, but I have heard about a list.

Stu

No the claim is valid. I found this: http://www.dellamente.com/titanic/chrono.htm and under Friday the 12th there is a quote from Lawrence Beesley. He was interested in anything Science so he was a good observer.

I don't have his book so I cannot find the page he write this on. Apparently it was not a big deal since most books does only mention the coal fire and not the list, but then again most books concentrate on the passengers and not the ship itself.

Maybe Archibal Gracie mentioned it in his book also. I have not the time to read it again though :)

Tom91

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2007, 00:48:25 »

Yes but the list would have been a far shallower angle and would have lasted for days then would gradually ease as the coal was used during the voyage,but in the game its yet another bug and thats it!

bdomi2

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2009, 11:38:38 »

i sink they sould put lifeboats that you can lower and row around on
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines