Hello Guest May 12, 2024, 11:34:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Titanic  (Read 7973 times)

kev600

• Forum member
Titanic
« on: July 19, 2007, 21:49:46 »

i'm sorry for this lads but titanic is the most important thing in this game to alot of people the flaws which should be updatedand fixed. Ok, the telegraphs i have spoken about in a seperate topic. But while i say this one thing is that when you have the telegraph on STAND BY titanic starts moving. When you have it on DEAD SLOW its is really too fast about 6- 7 knts. Unrealistic. When you have it on SLOW it goes 11 knots it should be lower. HALF goes up to 16 which it should only go to 11 knots. But full is grand. The smoke out of the funnels is not very realisticly done as it looks like a diesel engine the amount of it's thats coming out. Alot more should be should be coming the funnel when its going FULL. The rudder moves far to fast. There is no other problems but just extras like getting in the crow's nest and the other wheelhouse and the docking bridge.

Thats it for the moment please leave your comments on every one of them to see if what your going to fix and what not to fix.
I am open to complains about the above.

LADS DON'T GET ME WRONG THIS IS AN OUTSTANDING GAME AND I LOVE IT BUT I THINK YOU NEED TO HEAR MY IDEAS.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 21:52:45 by kev600 »
Regards Kevin,
Titanic Research Group

Remember The Elite Officers that perished on that night:

Captain E.J. Smith
Chief Officer Henry Tingle Wilde
First Officer William McMaster Murdoch
Sixth Officer James Paul Moody
Chief Engineer Jo

Orinoco

• Forum member
Re: Titanic
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 22:51:08 »

I agree about the Telegraphs. They had it nailed in SS2006, what changed?  ???

Maik

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 07:06:47 »

The thing that I think has to be changed is the controls you see in the left corner. WHen you click the controls in the menu in the right corner so you can control the ship with youre mouse from outside the ship. In 2006 these where actually the telegraph. But know you have some futuristic thingy there.

Hope you understand what I mean :P

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 17:08:40 »

i aslo noticed that titanic is sailing to slow at full steam, after 15 minutes she was steering on 15 knots!?
but usual the ship have to steer around 21 knots in 5 minutes, like in SS2006 titanic was a lot faster!

kev600

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 22:32:06 »

yea the speed needs to be fixed fast
Regards Kevin,
Titanic Research Group

Captain E.J. Smith
Chief Engineer Jo

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 23:57:35 »

i aslo noticed that titanic is sailing to slow at full steam, after 15 minutes she was steering on 15 knots!?
but usual the ship have to steer around 21 knots in 5 minutes, like in SS2006 titanic was a lot faster!

I never saw a ship going from 0 to 21 knots in 5 minutes, 2006 wasn't verry realistic.

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 13:32:14 »

well, titanic can  ;)

kev600

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 22:24:01 »

yhe thing that really gets me is when it's on stand -by it goes at around 3 knots and dead slow is 6 and slow is 10, half is 16 and full is 22 knots. thats just a joke. how are you suppost to dock titanic which would be on dead slow when docking if its going 3-4 knots it should only be going 1 or 1.5.
Regards Kevin,
Titanic Research Group

Captain E.J. Smith
Chief Engineer Jo

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 00:30:33 »

Hello kev600,
There are indeed inconsistencies between the (port) chadburn, keyboard and modern controls.
Ordering with the use of the keyboard, the chadburn moves with each keypress from stop to standby, etc..., but if stop is 0% of the steam, standby is 20%, deadslow 40%, etc...
Controlling the port chadburn with the mouse, in walkthrough mode to be able to reach the port handle, one can select gradually from 0% to 100%, which is a bit strange.
That is evidently a programming error, it will surely be corrected now the developers know it.
Although it is badly implemented, it doesnt forbid you to set the speed of Titanic continuously from 0% to 100%, perhaps it is unhandy, but it works.
Regards,
Luc

kev600

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 14:11:25 »

i understand what you mean Luc! thanks fopr that is there any word from the developers
Regards Kevin,
Titanic Research Group

Captain E.J. Smith
Chief Engineer Jo

jason210

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 15:57:59 »

There are errors with the telegraph. Stand-By means just that. Stand By. No change in the engine speed, just stand by the levers....ready for the next maneuvering order!!

I'm not sure what the dead slow speed is but Samual Halpern in his study asumed that Dead Slow was half the speed of slow, which would put it to 4 knots, but I don't think anyone really knows the answer, so if you have some information you can share, I like to hear about it.

This information is based on the Hawke collision testimony. (The Titanic's sister ship, which had identical performance characteristics to Titanic, was involved in a collision with HMS Hawke in 1911):

* Full seed in the channel was 20 knots or about 75 revolutions.

* Half speed was 50 revolutions giving 15 knots, and slow was 30 revolutions producing from 8 to 9 knots.

* Full ocean speed of 22 ½ knots would be obtained after the Olympic dropped the pilot and cleared
   the Nab Lightship.

These are the figures that the Titanic's performance should be based in the sim - so yes - some things need to be fixed.

With regard to the time taken to reach full speed from zero, we have estimated that to be around ten minutes (minimum). There is evidence that stationary to slow ahead (8 kts) would take around 2 to 3 minutes. These figures are estimates based again on the Hawke testimony. There is also a statement explaining when the ship was accelerating to full speed, she was making 12 knots, and accelerated to 17 kts in 3 minutes, and 18 kts after four minutes.

It would be helpful to me if, when making claims about Titanic, you quote your sources :-)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 19:17:17 by jason210 »

LucAtC

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 18:21:01 »

The question  8) was perhaps more the fact that Titanic is moving, even when the chadburn is put on standby.
Changing settings is unhandy, because the chadburn gives a continuous (analog?) control, instead of discrete steps when controlled with the mouse. The system worked fine in SS2006, however.

@ jason210, could you please help me and give also the desired speeds for slow and deadslow? I suppose deadslow was the minimum speed the steam engine could hold, and that the target speeds you gave are for both engines running?
Regards,
Luc

jason210

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 19:08:38 »

@ jason210, could you please help me and give also the desired speeds for slow and deadslow? I suppose deadslow was the minimum speed the steam engine could hold, and that the target speeds you gave are for both engines running?
Regards,
Luc

Not sure how dead slow speed was determined, and yes, speeds are with both engines running. I did mention in my previous post that slow speed was 8kts, and dead slow is generally assumed to be 4kts. 4kts is about the speed of a brisk walk.

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 19:12:34 »

i managed to steer the titanic to 24 knots, but not for long..

kev600

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 19:32:14 »

if full is 22 1/2 knots would half not evidentaly be 11- 12 knots and slow be around 6 and then dead slow around 2-3
Regards Kevin,
Titanic Research Group

Captain E.J. Smith
Chief Engineer Jo

fishlikelong

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 21:36:38 »

Not talking about the telegraph but I fell off the front of the ship after being in walkaround mode and I couldnt get back on the ship. Got some nice pics of the ship though. Will upload them soon

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 08:52:43 »

just take the 2nd class staircase, that's how you get to the stern deck ;)

strassenkreuzer

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 09:02:43 »

you also can fly if you want ;D
press the direction forward and right shift and use the mouse to look in the heaven. If you are in the air its like you are a bird. so you can also reach the frontsectin of the containership.

greetings strassenkreuzer
Wer andern eine Bratwurst brät, hat ein Bratwurstbratgerät.

kev600

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 22:29:43 »

every time i write about telegraphs noone every coments on the sounds. Could they be made more like the films ' a night to remember' or james cameron's 'titanic'??

PLEASE ONLY RESPOND ON THE SOUND!
Regards Kevin,
Titanic Research Group

Captain E.J. Smith
Chief Engineer Jo

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2007, 22:55:57 »

every time i write about telegraphs noone every coments on the sounds. Could they be made more like the films ' a night to remember' or james cameron's 'titanic'??

PLEASE ONLY RESPOND ON THE SOUND!

Hang on Kev. This is the first point in the thread you've mentioned sounds. If you want to open a thread with a very narrow area to discuss, you may do so. But to avoid confusion make the post title appropriate and try to mention your point in the first thread, not after many other comments.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

robbiem

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2007, 11:44:53 »

i must say there is a few things wrong with ss08 titanic tilts to the right  the smoke out the three funnels is pathetic compared to the film it is like the biggest differnce      also i would like to see a differnt area for titanic on the sea voyage mission because you can not stear out of the bit were you start  >:(             

does any one no wen ss08 is making a update to fix theese problems ??

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2007, 11:46:29 »

There is a patch coming in august but i think more smoke on titanic is the least of VSTEP's worries at the mo. We'll fix the bugs then the rest!

Britannic

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 15:18:56 »

I dont know if someone already said this, but I remember back on the ss06 forum when someone said about the spelling mistake on the telemotor. but then I looked at the bridge image of Titanic in ss08 the other day, and it was still spelt 'telelmotor'. Is it me, or is that second 'L' not meant to be there?

I know its frightfully trivial, but while we're talking about it, LEAVE THE TILT ALONE! TITANIC DID REALLY TILT ON THE FIRST FEW DAYS OF HER VOYAGE AS TOO MUCH COAL WAS LOADED ON THE STARBOARD SIDE. THIS WAS EVENED OUT, AND WASN'T QUITE AS ANGLED AS IN THE PICTURE FROM THE GAME, BUT SHE STILL TILTED!

Also, she dosn't need huge volumes of smoke coming from her funnels- she was a very economical ship, where most of the waste whent into powering the third screw. The movie was inaccurate in many ways-and I believe this may have been one of them, I mean come on, she snapped clean in half whereas now we know she collapsed in on herself before snapping at a much lower angle. It was a hollywood movie which exagerated a lot of things, not a clean, factual documentry! Give Jim Cameron a break!  :)

I hate to sound like a terrible clever clogs, but just saying. :)

Thanks, Sky.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 15:23:12 by Britannic »
When Ive finished Media college Ive got many desired jobs, one being; Simulator making!

kev600

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2007, 20:45:47 »

ok but the telegraphs sounds in the film sound much more realistic
Regards Kevin,
Titanic Research Group

Captain E.J. Smith
Chief Engineer Jo

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2007, 23:46:07 »

Also, she dosn't need huge volumes of smoke coming from her funnels- she was a very economical ship, where most of the waste whent into powering the third screw. The movie was inaccurate in many ways-and I believe this may have been one of them, I mean come on, she snapped clean in half whereas now we know she collapsed in on herself before snapping at a much lower angle. It was a hollywood movie which exagerated a lot of things, not a clean, factual documentry! Give Jim Cameron a break!  :)

I hate to sound like a terrible clever clogs, but just saying. :)

Thanks, Sky.
Aye, but before you award yourself a PHD or doctorate... the 'waste' was steam that went into the third screw. The stuff that goes up the funnels was smoke.

As for whether it broke up on the surface, below, in the sky or down on the sea bed- we don't really know anyway. There has been debate since the night of the sinking- even in the official enquiry it couldn't be establised what happened.

NOT that I'm sticking up for that film. I'd rather sit and watch coastal erosion than suffer that film.

I hate to sound like a genius, but just saying...

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines