Hello Guest May 08, 2024, 16:17:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When are we going to get better quality.  (Read 6044 times)

jemagnussen

• Forum member
When are we going to get better quality.
« on: May 15, 2008, 09:01:17 »

Hi m8's,

When do you think we will get quality ShipSim similar to the quality of the Simulator X platform as can be seem here:

http://www.tsinsider.com/en-US/WorkInProgress/Pages/TS2video.aspx

- and the MP part of Simulator X can easily handle 50 players with a whole lot of interactivity, lights, hoists etc. in f.ex. FSX.

"MS Magnus"

Cpt. of "MS Magnus"

Bottman

• Global Moderator
Re: When are we going to get better quality.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 10:20:14 »

Hmmm, maybe there is an important difference to handle a few trains on a fixed network, than a number of vessels, each with typical behaviours in a kind of a 3D mode, heeling in higher waves and all that stuff. For me the train simulator looks more artifical than the ship simulator, the shown train speeds up and stopps too fast and the environment isn't very highly detailed. But that's of course my very own opinion! So, what is the special quality you are asking for?

Cheers
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 15:26:02 »

Awesome video 8) Just a lot of details and that's great! ;D
I bet that the bridges and wheelhouses of ships and boats made for this game (which is some kind of "empty") compared to the inside of the locomotive will hopefully be more "equipped" and more "realistic".

When it comes to terrain and landscape this is already very good. I think that it's water details and such stuff is important for this game and especially sea-, traffic- and weather conditions that probably can become better in the future. And I think you have a lot more to do on board a ship than a locomotive.

What makes this new train sim look so interesting is because they use the FSX engine for it. And since the trains are "mostly" land based you can see a lot more details like grass on the ground etc. Ship Simulator is mostly sea and shore based (not much lakes in this sim yet..) where the details is more dense on the ship/boats and at harbors. The level of details can probably be raised even more depending on the graphics settings and the system used when playing the game.

The movie shows much graphics but is very sparse when it comes to simulation and game physics. It just shows a small result of what they have developed so far. Like ship simulator it's still on the same level when it comes to game play. You drive from station A to station B. What happens when you reach station B? Will you see passengers that walks out/in? Will you see cargo that is placed or moved? For both these games it's much about driving and sailing while other tasks that you carry out is missing. You drive/sail simple... until you get engine failure. What happens then? What are you able to do with the engine failure? Well.. in Ship Simulator...not much! Just restart the game I suppose...

I'm not sure what quality is supposed to mean. I think about the simulation and asking how realistic the simulation is so far. For Ship Simulator it's in "baby stage" but it hopefully grows with the future (if VSTEP sees this as a important aspect of the game) which they hopefully do..lol!

Features and suggestions for this game is somehow covering two areas: realism vs graphics. And that's much up to VSTEP to decide. For the next Ship Simulator for all I know they focus more on realism than graphics, or grabs 50/50 from both. I mean that you can have a game with awesome graphics and where it's a lack of simulation, or a game where the graphics is poor and the simulation is heavy... or a game where the level of both simulation and graphics is high. What is the player looking for - simulation or graphics or both of them? That will probably decide how many game licenses the developer will be able to sell.

Personally I prefer 50/50. That makes it sounds quality for me. Ship Simulator still have a long way to go (it would be foolish from me to claim anything else). Besides it's still in it's 2nd version while we have seen improvements from one version to another. I'm not perfectly able to cover the subject quality in my reply but I hope I have have given some sort of answer. You cud also put up a thread about Ship Simulator vs Crysis and we would both see differences and likeness.
Anyway the video is and can be a inspiration for future development of Ship Simulator all trough we talking about different game with different kinds of simulations even if the graphics can be on the same level for both. :-*

Get inspired!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 15:29:07 by JHB »

TJK

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 22:18:01 »

That video from MS Trains2 was awesome, and that fantastic graphic, nearly photo realistic, next year we have it in the store, and that game already marked
MOST HAVE ;) so if Ship simulator 2009 will be abut near that ? hope so
TJK
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 22:20:50 by TJK »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 00:04:12 »

This is a very rare occurance. I find myself disagreeing with Bottman!  :o

I think that video shows a VERY high committment to getting it just right and I disagree that the physics look wrong. OK I'll admit that connecting to wagons at that speed (when the wagons westinghouse brakes would still be on) is a bit daft, but it's a work in progress.

I wonder if you can make the trains fly, like you can some ships  ;D

Remember though that MS will sell a massive amount of copies- if vstep could do the same then they'd develop more. It's chicken and egg- vstep won't release more unless they can sell it and people won't buy it unless there's more to do.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 11:46:47 »

Quod Erat Demonstrandum

...interesting :P

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 14:31:22 »

...interesting :P

Yes, it's one of those phrases that everyone hears and can't quite spot what it means. (not suggesting that of you, but other people)  :D
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 14:59:49 »

Wikipedia is my friend ;D

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 15:06:52 »

Oh yes. I know some people criticise wikipedia, but personally I think it's one of the best sources of info on this sodding little planet.

Just don't use it as your ONLY source of info on something important...

Ship Sim

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 05:00:00 »

Actualy this simulator looks quite realistic. I have seen trains Just like this going to the container terminal and the page says that the game is still in development and will be fully released by 2009. ;)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 12:14:10 »

When you consider that 20 years ago, 16 coloUrs on screen, running a CPU that now runs a basic kettle or toaster, and now where we are...

Where will we be in 2028? (apart from all dead due to global warming, meteor impact, birdflu, crime, irrigation and public health)

Virtual reality? The Matrix (or even the holo V.R. from Red Dwarf) Who knows... Who knows that we aren't already in a virtual reality simulator that's been programmed to appear as messed up as this... The Matrix may yet have us

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 13:41:02 »

The Matrix may yet have us

I'm saying nothing............ :P
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 16:48:46 »

It was one of the main points of the film... and how do we know otherwise?

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 16:49:14 »

It was one of the main points of the film... and how do we know otherwise?

EDIT: This is just an example of dejavu for anyone who hasn't suffered seen the film ;D

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 10:52:46 »

Well, in my opinion the quality is good for a game that is pretty new to the market, i mean look at it this way Flight Sim 98 is absolutely rubbish, but look at ss06 compared, i think v-step are heading in the right direction. Although i suppose back then with flight sim 98 they were limited as regards to how good they could make their game, i think give this simulator some time and it could be one of the most successful simulators out there, up in the tops with flight sim. But i cannot stress how important it is to make ship sim more interactive. Like lowering lifeboats and being able to use them, that sort of thing.

Jack. :)
Kind Regards,
Jack.

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 10:54:51 »

The water in SS is very good now. It actually looks more real :)

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 13:14:40 »

The water in SS is very good now. It actually looks more real :)

Yes i agree with you, yet some people say it dosen't look realistic at all. Everyone's mind works in different ways i suppose. :D ;D
Kind Regards,
Jack.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines