Hello Guest May 22, 2024, 18:01:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shopping for Marine Equipment  (Read 5665 times)

waterscanada

Shopping for Marine Equipment
« on: September 23, 2008, 19:06:30 »

Hello Everyone,

Before I purchase a Horizon Eclipse 1000S VHF Radio, Garmin 420/S Chartplotter, and 4' Garmin 404 Radar for my home, is it legal to operate as a land based Harbor Master considering I am on a public channel?

I found that the Horizon Eclipse 1000S VHF Radio will connect to a Garmin 420/S GPS/Chartplotter, which I will use a 4' Garmin 404 Radar producing a maximum radius of 72nm of communication for my home near the coast on top of a mountain.

Do some VHF Radio's interface with Radar's such as the 4' Garmin 404, for maximum frequency range, or are they subjected to the stock transducer?

Has anyone tried the ship on land method, by purchasing communications equipment and installing it in the home instead of on board the ship?

TerryRussell

Re: Shopping for Marine Equipment
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 22:37:33 »

It is against the law of every country in the world to operate ship radio equipment from a land station unless you are duly registered and a Governent-approved authority.

This

(a) Costs a great deal of money. In the UK for example, HM Coastguard has to pay many thousands of pounds for each channel it uses at each station. Which is why they generally only use 0, 16 and 67, and a very few others.

(b) won't be issued to anyone without proper reason, which is unlikely in your case. Unless you are actually a harbourmastr or lifeboat station etc. But I think that possibility is very low.

In any case, general fooling around by unqualified and unlicensed amateurs is risking the lives of those at sea.  ???  >:(

And what on earth do you imagine you're going to do with a radar set in your bedroom? You'll deep-fry yourself and your mum and dad.

Kona1988

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 23:58:07 »

Lost something? xD

waterscanada

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 02:08:55 »

It is against the law of every country in the world to operate ship radio equipment from a land station unless you are duly registered and a Governent-approved authority.

This

(a) Costs a great deal of money. In the UK for example, HM Coastguard has to pay many thousands of pounds for each channel it uses at each station. Which is why they generally only use 0, 16 and 67, and a very few others.

(b) won't be issued to anyone without proper reason, which is unlikely in your case. Unless you are actually a harbourmastr or lifeboat station etc. But I think that possibility is very low.

In any case, general fooling around by unqualified and unlicensed amateurs is risking the lives of those at sea.  ???  >:(

And what on earth do you imagine you're going to do with a radar set in your bedroom? You'll deep-fry yourself and your mum and dad.

Dear TerryRussell,

Hello. And best wishes too you. Thank You for your input of my little project of a land based Harbor Master System with the equipment listed I am planning to purchase. As I am aware the majority of users are of minority age, I am pleased to announce that as a great grandfather at my current age of 30, and member of the Prussian Royal Family and relative to most european monarchs, mum and dad, do approve of Ship Simulator!

I find it quite educational for all users old and young to experience the benefit of which Ship Simulator has to offer.

Thumbs Up Team!
Waters

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 03:00:25 »

Wait a minute..  ;D

If your grandchildren have children, yet you are only 30, then what kind of dubious procreation has been going on in your family? That's not possible is it, 4 generations within 3 decades?

And err, Prussia doesn't exsist. And it hasn't for a long time, so as such there is no kingdom and thus is there no current Royal family either. I take it you mean decendant, not member?

:P

Fred..
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 03:06:32 by Mad_Fred »

waterscanada

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 04:23:15 »

Wait a minute..  ;D

If your grandchildren have children, yet you are only 30, then what kind of dubious procreation has been going on in your family? That's not possible is it, 4 generations within 3 decades?

And err, Prussia doesn't exsist. And it hasn't for a long time, so as such there is no kingdom and thus is there no current Royal family either. I take it you mean decendant, not member?

:P

Fred..

Uhh... long story short, the teacher did it over and over and we were all around 10 years of age. And, I am currently building a 1.4 Billion Dollar Palace in Berlin, under Statdschloss Berlin Initiative. Anyway, enough of that let's get back to the topic.

I want to thank Ship Simulator for the idea of starting a land base Harbor Master System, I found that Ship Simulator is lacking a Harbor Master factor in the program which is why I am inquiring into the purchase of such equipment because I really want to experience this aspect of Ship Simulator.

If the experience of becoming a Harbor Master is not included in the program I am just advertising that there are alternate methods of accomplishing the feeling of becoming a Harbor Master as in purchasing the real equipment and setting up at home.

My idea of what Ship Simulator can offer for Harbor Master is only a large Radar with Compass included independently with the program.

However, I cannot wait so the alternative is to purchase the real thing.

TerryRussell

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 10:44:36 »

Like almost every person whose family have lived in England for the past 300 or more years (I can trace mine back a lot further than that), I am a direct descendant of King Henry the Eigth. and therefore directly related to the old Prussian Royal Family. And the Dutch Royal fmily. And the Russian Czarist Line and...

But then, so is almost everyone else in Western Europe and vast numbers in the USA. Fred and I will be distant cousins. And  our other cousins will include Marty and Luc. And yourself and Agent Austin and Nathan. And so on. All humans are related to each other, of course.

Simple genetics and geneology will appy here.  ;D

So King Fred, (or is it Arch Duke or Emperor, I forget), can I borrow the throne after you depose watescananda?

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 13:54:27 »

Looks as if someone is a sandwich short of a picnic.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 16:46:17 »

Looks as if someone is a sandwich short of a picnic.

;D  ;D

Terry, you can borrow it any time you like, dear cousin. Though I'm not sure if I indeed am a distant cousin, cause my roots lie in Eastern Europe, as I am Romani (Not Romanian, but from the Roma people). But we're still all related anyway, if you go back far enough. :)

TerryRussell

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 21:27:21 »

Hi Fred.

If your ancestors have lived in Europe for more than a couple of hundred years then we'll be at least moderately closely related.

I was with the genetics department at one of the Colleges of Oxford Universty today, by absolute coincidence. I mentioned this conversation and one of the Professors said "well, take a guess. How closely do think you're likely to be related to anyone in the UK?". I guessed at 128th Cousin. When they'd all stopped laughing, he said that statistically it was more like 8th cousin on average, perhaps more closely in some areas. My PA is Czech. Using her as an example, it seems that statistically we are probably 9th cousins. Could be closer, might be further but not by much, it seems.

So, cousin, when our Uncle Angus has finished on your throne, can I borrow it. I think Unc is having a picnic, judging from the above....  ;D

Kona1988

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 21:56:50 »

Are you....suggesting...using...a real...functioning, ship radar...for SS ?_?I dont know what monarchy royal stuff is about and personly, its your life, I dont really have an opinion, but..Dont you think your over doing it, the whole MH station, and the game?

TerryRussell

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 22:06:40 »

Hi Kona1988.

If you look, you'll see that our unusual friend (A royal spy from Microsoft, who I think was his own Grandfather, if I understood the posts) has now deleted his account and left us.

So, you're now talking to yourself. I guess that makes you unusual now...  ;D

Kona1988

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 22:12:08 »

oh, lolz. Woops. Well, I was gonna say something beofre, but now that hes not here xD....

lol, from the first post he made about that i wanna be a mod, knew he was gonna be an anoying, person. Well, yeha, good ridins :)

TerryRussell

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 22:50:59 »

All part of life's rich tapestry.

Now you can tell your grandchildren that you once communicated with a man who believed he was his own grandfather, a multi billionaire, a Microsoft spy and Arch-Duke Ferdinand of Prussia.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 22:57:17 »

And he ate the odd sandwich.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

TerryRussell

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 23:05:12 »

The sandwiches must have been very odd....

Kona1988

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 23:10:03 »

lolz Terry. A 1.2 billion dollar palace xD Kinda lost in his own little world I think.

And, I dont think he even understood what he ment...I still want to know what the heck he ment by he wanted to setup a land station..in his house..for SS. Im like...does he know its a game? xD

mvsmith

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 23:42:16 »

If he sets up his Harbor Master operation in San Marcos—12 miles inland from the Oceanside Marina—he will have a hard time seeing what’s going on there. I wonder if he has thought this project through.

Seriously, he is completely out of it as far as any understanding of what’s going on. That was obvious from the start—when he asked for SS 2008 Professional to be emailed to him.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 23:48:39 »

If he sets up his Harbor Master operation in San Marcos—12 miles inland from the Oceanside Marina—he will have a hard time seeing what’s going on there. I wonder if he has thought this project through.

Even if he was able to see, and interact, wouldn't the actual authorities be at his doorstep within 20 minutes or so, to shut him down and send him away to the asylum?   ::)

Kona1988

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 23:54:09 »

lolz both, and, what did he think he was going to do.....lol, whatd he think, you just give him the whole thing because he like to "teahc"?

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 21:27:19 »

Why don't we close the topic, he might be watching the topic, and it is not fun to hear people talk like that about ourselves.

thanks to Tore/TJK for this awesome sig

Kona1988

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 21:31:46 »

Doesnt matter, he was a Microsoft spy, his whole, very, unthoughtout, life here was jsut a little lfie he made up, i think xD

TerryRussell

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2008, 21:32:30 »

Good point Minime.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines