Hello Guest May 08, 2024, 07:50:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Here's a senario to pull off in SS08...  (Read 2550 times)

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
Here's a senario to pull off in SS08...
« on: July 14, 2007, 03:33:46 »

When they get it so you can have ships sink when severe damage occurs below the water line, choose the Titanic as your ship, find an iceburg that's rises to the prominades (about 65 feet high) (with 6/7 of its mass below the water), head straght for it at full speed ahead, then, when it is less than twice the ship's length away, turn the engines to full speed astern, then turn the wheel hard a starboard, so the ship will turn port. the ice burg should grind along the fore of the starboard side. turn the engines back to full speed ahead, but then  stop the engines and see if it sinks like the Titanic did April 14-15, 1912.

that would be coll if it sank the same way.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 03:39:39 by RMS Gigantic »

saken41

Re: Here's a senario to pull off in SS08...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 07:03:02 »

Sounds as a GREAT idea! Thanks RMS Gigantic :D!!!

Ship Sim

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 07:14:16 »

not to bad. ;) No one is on her. So no one dies.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 19:12:54 »

I think Titanic was a bit further away when they spotted the ice...

Also, running the engines astern and steering starboard doesn't bring the bow to port. I thought that and it was pointed out to me that it was not prototypical. It was a bit of a bug in 06. It would only happen if the ship had azipod drive (or possibly steerable ducted propellors)

Good idea though.

Stu

Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 16:38:16 »

I think Titanic was a bit further away when they spotted the ice...

Also, running the engines astern and steering starboard doesn't bring the bow to port. I thought that and it was pointed out to me that it was not prototypical. It was a bit of a bug in 06. It would only happen if the ship had azipod drive (or possibly steerable ducted propellors)

Good idea though.

Stu

every report I know of has the ship turning starboard with the engines reversed, causing it to move port

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 01:44:35 »

Forgive me, but ships of that era would have the helm turned to starboard to move the rudder port and vice versa.

But the rudder would be turned to port for turning the ship to port. If I recall correctly, it wasn't until 1920s that the helm was corrected to the system we use now. It stems from the day when ships had a simple tiller- where you push the tiller left to go right and push right to go left.

If you mean that by turning the rudder opposite and running reverse, I thought that but Luc (and others) demonstrated that this only works on an azipod type propulsion.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 01:55:38 »

Hello Stu,
Sorry, once more a problem of translation/language (my fault?).
The question of the rudder of the Titanic was one of language, not of hardware.
When the officer/watch ordered something like "Hard a starboard" it meant that the helmsman (wheelman?) rotated the wheel counterclockwise, and consequently the rudder was turned to port....
Why that? Because the helmstock (name ok?) had to be pushed to starboard on very ancient ships, well, like all sailboats nowadays without wheels?
You can find the references in the Encyclopedia Titanica!
Regards,
Luc
Question: How many wheels had Titanic? Haha!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 01:57:46 by LucAtC »

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 07:13:32 »

I hear that the command was "hard a-starboard" (meaning to turn the wheel as far as you can until you can't move it anymore to make the ship will turn starboard)

The ship was heading straight for the ice burg

the engines were reversed

The ship took damage to here starboard side

all this means the ship turned port when it was told to turn starboard with the engines reversed

Ship Sim

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 08:48:21 »

I hear that the command was "hard a-starboard" (meaning to turn the wheel as far as you can until you can't move it anymore to make the ship will turn starboard)

The ship was heading straight for the ice burg

the engines were reversed

The ship took damage to here starboard side

all this means the ship turned port when it was told to turn starboard with the engines reversed

That is because when you turn the wheel to starboard the ship goes to port. It was all reversed.

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 21:48:45 »

Indeed, this question is not new, and also taught in naval schools.

It's best to quote from John Harland, from his book 'Seamanship in the Age of Sail':

Orders to the helmsman were traditionally given in terms of "helm", that is to say, the position of the tiller rather than the rudder. 'Hard a-starboard!' meant 'Put the tiller (helm) to starboard, so that the ship may go to port!'. It will be realised that not only the bow turned to port, but also the rudder, top of the wheel, and prior to the advent of the steering-wheel, the upper end of the whipstaff. Cogent reasons existed, therefore, for giving the order in what one might call the 'common sense' fashion. The transition to 'rudder' orders was made in many European countries about a century ago...The change did not proceed smoothly everywhere, since old traditions died extremely hard in the merchant service, even in lands where the new convention was readily imposed in naval vessels...In the United Kingdom, the changeover did not occur until 1933, at which time the new regulations were applied to naval and merchant vessels alike...although the United States Navy made the switch from 'Port helm!' to 'Right rudder' in 1914, practice in American merchant vessels did not change until 1935.

Aboard Titanic, the command, "Hard a'starboard" would result in the helmsman turning the wheel to the left, which caused the rudder and the bow to rotate to port. This may seem confusing to the modern layman, but the deck officers and quartermasters of that period knew no other convention.
(thanks to titanic.marconigraph.com/mgy_faqs.html)  8)

Regards,
Luc

PS: and Stu, you were right (it was late, forgot to tell)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 21:52:48 by LucAtC »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 23:29:38 »

It's OK luc. As you say, sometimes things are confused in translation. (and again, your english shames my Flemish/French skills)

If you recall back, I made the mistake of thinking that reverse engines with rudder to port would bring the bow to starboard (a bug/error in ss06).

You rightly pointed out my flawed thinking.

Stu
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines