Hello Guest May 12, 2024, 12:52:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Internet Explorer 8  (Read 4239 times)

saltydog

• Forum member
Re: Internet Explorer 8
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2009, 12:15:12 »

Perhaps he could use System Recovery..
Start-Help-System Recovery, and choose an earlier date.. :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 12:50:36 by saltydog »

TJK

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2009, 12:20:14 »

Perhaps he could use System Restore.. :)
No that the way to destroy IE, folow that i got from Microsoft then you not get Problems
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,13647.msg168450.html#msg168450
Tore
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 12:23:09 by TJK »

CaptainMike1

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2009, 12:52:19 »

I suspect that Tore had the Norway language pack installed.

If you are using English just follow the second part, and after a few minutes and a restart you come back to IE7. You have to right click IE8 in the list of installed updates and it gives you an option to uninstall.

Let's hope it works for Traddles too.

Thanks Tore

Mike

TJK

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2009, 13:02:24 »

I suspect that Tore had the Norway language pack installed.

If you are using English just follow the second part, and after a few minutes and a restart you come back to IE7. You have to right click IE8 in the list of installed updates and it gives you an option to uninstall.

Let's hope it works for Traddles too.

Thanks Tore

Mike
Joust glad i cud beet Terry well for at list one time  :lol: only jocking Terry :lol:
and be helping all my shipsim friends. But normally Terry are the Best ;)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 13:23:24 by TJK »

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2009, 13:30:59 »

I like that icon.. ;D

TJK

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2009, 13:42:57 »

I like that icon.. ;D
Thanks, perfect for the admins i think ;)
TJK/Tore

TerryRussell

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2009, 13:55:11 »

Hi all!

Traddles' problem is a little more complex that a simple uninstall. Somewhere along the line either one of the million+ dlls has got corrupted/wrong version and/or there seems to be a registry problem.

Regarding uninstalling IE8, I did that yesterday.

I was doing some work for a client. I had saved everything to the server and sent a backup to my other office (8 miles up the road). I went off and made a cup of coffee. When I came back, there was the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH. I'd never had that on this PC before, so I was a bit surprised. I rebooted, but it went straight to the same screen. It was a BAD_POOL_HEADER message, which was unusual...

The PC booted OK into Vista, so I knew that the hardware was fine. I ran scandisk and apart from a cross-linked file, it found no problems. Now the only thing I had done recently was to install IE8 when I was helping Angus.

Rather than spend all day finding a messed up DLL, I simply inserted the Windows Home Server restore disk. That goes to the WHS computer and downloads whichever of the last 50 backups I wish to install.

I selected the backup from 1 a.m. the same day, and after a while the PC was back as it had been, as if nothing had ever happened.

I LOVE Windows Home Server. That's twice it has saved me an immense amount of work! (Last time was when a hard disk went bang).

IE8? No way...

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2009, 14:04:27 »

Hi Tore and Terry,
I just got my computer back ;D. Everything is working OK now but I found the chap who fixed it had put IE6 on ???. However the update symbol appeared on the task bar (bottom right) so I updated and the 4th update was IE7. Now everything is back to normal, but the man who fixed it was not in work today so all I could be told was that the machine was fixed and in good working order with all my original stuff still present. Cost £35, which I reckon was worth it as it has saved me a lot of heartache. ::)

Angus.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

TJK

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2009, 15:01:22 »

Glad to hear all ok with you PC again Angus, IE 8 No way Newer again
And agree Terry Windows Home Server, is good, i think i will bay it
Tore
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 15:04:15 by TJK »

TerryRussell

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2009, 15:20:47 »

Hi Tore and Terry,
I just got my computer back ;D. Everything is working OK now but I found the chap who fixed it had put IE6 on ???. However the update symbol appeared on the task bar (bottom right) so I updated and the 4th update was IE7. Now everything is back to normal, but the man who fixed it was not in work today so all I could be told was that the machine was fixed and in good working order with all my original stuff still present. Cost £35, which I reckon was worth it as it has saved me a lot of heartache. ::)

Angus.

Hi Angus.

Worth every penny, I think.

I know what he did, and I think I might even know which 100 or so DLLs might have caused it. The main thing is that you're back and working now!

And agree Terry Windows Home Server, is good, i think i will bay it

It is beautiful. It runs on a fairly low-spec PC. Doesn't need a keyboard or a monitor, as you are supposed to do it all remotely (although I prefer to log on and do it directly). It's what is known as a "Headless Box". You need keyboard and monitor to set it up, but after that you put the PC away somewhere and leave it to run.

The only thing is to make sure you stuff it with hard disk space. Make sure that each disk is 1TB or more and all will be wonderful. You can add disks at any stage and it will add them to the "pool" very simply. It will even use USB drives, either as a secondary backup system or as another storage drive. Once you have more than one drive, it shuffles things around to make sure that all data is held on at least two disks.

TJK

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2009, 15:25:59 »

Hi Angus.

Worth every penny, I think.

I know what he did, and I think I might even know which 100 or so DLLs might have caused it. The main thing is that you're back and working now!

It is beautiful. It runs on a fairly low-spec PC. Doesn't need a keyboard or a monitor, as you are supposed to do it all remotely (although I prefer to log on and do it directly). It's what is known as a "Headless Box". You need keyboard and monitor to set it up, but after that you put the PC away somewhere and leave it to run.

The only thing is to make sure you stuff it with hard disk space. Make sure that each disk is 1TB or more and all will be wonderful. You can add disks at any stage and it will add them to the "pool" very simply. It will even use USB drives, either as a secondary backup system or as another storage drive. Once you have more than one drive, it shuffles things around to make sure that all data is held on at least two disks.

I will bay it that for sure Tanks Terry for the input i will read more on MS web page about it, that's i believe are one good thing to have less problems

TerryRussell

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2009, 15:32:16 »

I got the operating system for £79. You might have to pay a bit more (I get a special deal with Microsoft), but not much more.

It is worth every penny to me. If a PC has a serious problem I can just run the restore disk and it goes back to when it was last OK. If a hard disk goes bang, or even if I just want to put a newer or larger disk in, I just change the hadrware, boot from the restore disk and hey presto! it's all done. Wonderful.

I really don't know why Microsoft aren't shouting about WHS from the Rooftops. I could even forgive them for Vista, Office 2007 and IE8 after WHS!

TJK

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2009, 15:41:07 »

I got the operating system for £79. You might have to pay a bit more (I get a special deal with Microsoft), but not much more.

It is worth every penny to me. If a PC has a serious problem I can just run the restore disk and it goes back to when it was last OK. If a hard disk goes bang, or even if I just want to put a newer or larger disk in, I just change the hadrware, boot from the restore disk and hey presto! it's all done. Wonderful.

I really don't know why Microsoft aren't shouting about WHS from the Rooftops. I could even forgive them for Vista, Office 2007 and IE8 after WHS!
I can get dicount prises to bay tro the company i work in
I tryed the first rc1 candidate of WHS and liked it, but forgot it after you mention it agein here now, so after easter i have it, have a pc her with p4 3.2dGHz and 4 gb memory so i think i run nice on that only bay 2 x 1TB hd

TerryRussell

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2009, 20:25:54 »

The latest SP version of WHS is a much better than the RC1. Lots more features.

Also, go to the WHS web site once you've set it all up. There are loads of add-ons available.  :thumbs:

TJK

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2009, 00:08:46 »

The latest SP version of WHS is a much better than the RC1. Lots more features.

Also, go to the WHS web site once you've set it all up. There are loads of add-ons available.  :thumbs:
Tanks, have order it, 990,00 Norwegian Kroner not so bad and two 1 TB WD Hard drivers  got them for 1800 NOK so after easter i'm more safe  not a bad total price
Tanks for the idea Terry, but if i get truble now, i know were to find you :lol:
Tore :)

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/default.mspx
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 00:49:59 by TJK »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines