Hello Guest May 04, 2024, 12:37:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why we are all here in the first place  (Read 3183 times)

kapenaalex

• Forum member
Why we are all here in the first place
« on: March 01, 2012, 18:03:00 »

This recent round of troubles over the .dll  and v.1.5 certainly created some turbulent waters on this forum. I am the first to admit that when the problem impacted my game, I became just as desperate to find a fix and fast!

BUT - We need to remind ourselves that all of this is still only a game, and that we are not curing cancer here. ShipSim is unique, however, in that it is a game designed for a very limited market of users who just happen to be very passionate about the content. It surprised me just how much I missed the experience for the week or so that I was "out of commission". Most gamers would not stand a game that moves so slowly, and yet for us, the challenge of tonnage equals the thrill of a Mig fighter.

I would just like to give recognition and thanks to the moderators who go "overboard" to try to keep us all afloat and happy. They do NOT deserve the insults and disrespect of any forum members, no matter how frustrating the problem. Without their knowlege and help, we might all be "sunk".

THANKS GUYS!

jim.smith

Re: Why we are all here in the first place
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 19:11:06 »

Well spoken Kapenaalex,could'nt agree with you more. :2thumbs:

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 22:40:40 »

When I saw the name of this topic I thought it was an existential question.. ;)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 22:49:44 by saltydog »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 03:31:29 »

When I saw the name of this topic I thought it was an existential question.. ;)

Oh well done! Now we're forever going to be explaining what existential actually means.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Tinchu

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 16:09:09 »

I can't understand the behaviour of VStep. We are simmer fans, thus, patient people. VStep could have released a modest simulator, with only a few ships, sceneries and performances, but very well done. And later, quietly they could have improved it. For me they have done a bad approach to the question and now they don't know the solution. Is pathetic to see how every patch and new version have new failures and problems. This is like a spiral which is moving away every time from the solution. Is preferable to stop, to recognize the question and to admit from VStep the truth.

Or, they have the other solution, although they don't want to hear: Give us certain performances of Ship Simulator 2008 Professional. Of course, paying a reasonable price for them.

VStep... you have a debt with us.

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 16:32:50 »

VStep... you have a debt with us.

Errr.. I don't think they do. If you care to remember that with each patch to the game VSTEP release, bugs which you and others moan about are fixed. Yes there were some teething problems with the 1.5 patch, but respectfully it wasn't VSTEP's fault. Computers which didn't have the correct software installed to play the game caused the error, and if you remember, it was VSTEP who found and fixed the issue.

So with all due respect, stop moaning about VSTEP and start enjoying the game. If you don't enjoy the game, don't play it and don't start accusing VSTEP of owing you anything ;)
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 19:02:51 »

I think perhaps Senor Tinchus comments have been slightly twisted in translation- I understand what he means. I would say the phrase "obligation" is more apt than "debt".

I'm afraid though that he is right. vstep should have released a very basic set of ships and environments but got it right and then added to it bit by bit- charging incrimentally for the add ons.

vstep are a pretty talented bunch of people it has to be said, but commercially they haven't a clue about mass marketing- hence why they were so unhappy about the sales of DLC.

However, I fear that you are very much wrong with your comment about bugs from computers rather than the software itself; given the high level of dis-satisfaction with the bugs, it's hard to believe that many people have pc issues. Though I might be wrong- it did once happen.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 20:31:12 »

Starting from a basic (08), and gradually making it better.. I like the idea.. :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 22:15:13 by saltydog »

Tinchu

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 12:05:29 »

Captain Spencer. I've installed in my computer all Ship Simulator Versions: 2006, 2008 and Extremes. I have played hundred and hundred of hours and resolved almost missions. I think I have enough experience to talk about this question.

We have computers absolutely perfects. I'm tired to install all kind of software and add-on's, like  any other people, and  the  problems are really unusual. When some program is a bad program, like Extremes, the problems, of course, appear. A spanish saying declare: "The lame people blame  the paving". That's VStep are doing. Do you understand me?

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 13:52:17 »

I aggree with almost everything kapenaalex has said. The mods are here to help us, and were are all indebt to them and there efforts  :2thumbs:
STCW II/1 Unlimited Officer Of the Watch.
Big or small, I'll sail 'em all!

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 17:09:36 »

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying that game is perfect, far from it. Extremes had a rocky start and so have many other titles, but in this incidence, it was mainly the users fault by not making sure their game was up to date. VSTEP have said that they'll be providing the framework with the next patch to avoid this issue again, but at least this time the game was not at fault as such, but the missing DLL's from the users computer.

Please understand my posts a little better guys ;)
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines