Hello Guest May 07, 2024, 23:55:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sydney Harbour  (Read 2770 times)

skipper

• Forum member
Sydney Harbour
« on: September 14, 2010, 18:19:20 »

Dear VSTEP,I thankyou for including this great harbour on which I worked for a number of years and know better than the back of my hand, and it's the only reason why I bought SSE.Given my experience on that harbour I've noticed some discrepancies with relation to distances and positioning of in-harbour objects and out-harbour ones.I would gladly pay €15 to update the following......starting from the harbour entrance(Sydney Heads)
1-South Head lighthouse(Hornby Lighthouse)
2-South Head red nav beacon(which is positioned on land not water)
3-East and West channel markers with lights
4-Pig and Sow reef is too far south and close to the shore ,it divides East and West channels(East channel can be navigated by medium sized cargo vessels and it has a kink in the middle)
5-mid channel marker off Bradley's head,rigorously respected by all commercial vessels
6-Fort Denison needs to be moved further north,it's a bee-line from Harbour Bridge to Bradley's mid channel marker(inward vessels have to work around it.Big problem with bulk carriers at least 4 tugs if not 5)
7-the following areas aren't important for missions;Manly(unless hydrofoils are used...good idea!);Middle Harbour;west  of Cockatoo island (unless running oil barges from Shell depot to Silverwater refinery)
8-too much detail on buildings,what happens on the water is more important
9-much more water traffic:ferries,sail boats, pleasure craft,ships
please don't take this as criticism,I can play the environment as is but obviously knowing it's not exactly right.
Again thanks and best wishes in sorting out all the bugs
Ship-ahoy!

Stuart2007

• Forum member
Re: Sydney Harbour
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 20:20:38 »

Skipper, may I respectfully suggest that you get to know your hand a bit better... You fill find each of them at the end of your arms.

Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

ben

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 08:59:08 »

Thanks for the feedback Skipper - Your points have been entered into our system and will be looked at.

skipper

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 13:36:01 »

thanks Stuart but being a good Aussie boy the back of my hand is usually hidden behind a can of beer ;).

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 14:20:24 »

I hear that..Cheers..!   ;D

skipper

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 17:17:20 »

@VSTEP, I can't cruise past Spit bridge upper Middle Harbour though the map doesn't indicate any limitation. Do I have to wait for opening times? :lol:Thanks in anticipation.

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 17:26:32 »

I really like Sydney/Port Jackson as well! I have been there a few times some 20 years ago with a Columbus Line container freighter. Due to an engine failure, we have to lay by almost a week at Wooloomooloo.  :2thumbs:
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 17:33:06 »

What kind of ship are you trying to get through there..?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 17:53:19 by saltydog »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 20:19:09 »

thanks Stuart but being a good Aussie boy the back of my hand is usually hidden behind a can of beer ;).

Gday, Bruce... Sounds a good idea to me!  :lol:
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 20:32:21 »

Gday, Bruce... Sounds a good idea to me!  :lol:

::)

I knew you would appreciate that...  ;D

---

So are there any ferries in Sydney I should be aware of for the next time I go to Sydney in SSE?

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 22:34:22 »

Hi TFM,
How about this:-   http://www.sydneyferries.info/about-sydney-ferries/fleet-facts.htm

Not that I have ever been there, but there a a lot of them. :2thumbs:

Regards,

Angus.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 22:36:11 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 22:36:19 »

Now that is interesting...

Thanks  :thumbs:

skipper

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 09:58:24 »

@saltydog   nothing more than one of those small cruisers / powerboats,water taxi.Has anyone else been able to pass under?

@the ferryman  I've been away from Sydney for a long long time but saturday afternoon was sheer hell on that harbour between yacht races ,big and small,ferries trying to run to schedule,ship manouvres and pleasure boats dashing everywhere and old codgers sitting in the middle of the shipping channel waiting for the big one to bite!

@bottman   Wooloomooloo had/has more whorehouses per m2 than any other part of Sydney,I bet you had a good time!
Ship-ahoy you land-lubbers!

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 10:02:12 »

Hi skipper, I just tried passing underneath Spit Bridge with a small boat (Apollo)
Just before the bridge you hit something, sounds like a concrete barrier underwater, and can't go further
It certainly is deep enough there, about 5m..

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 10:55:14 »

@bottman   Wooloomooloo had/has more whorehouses per m2 than any other part of Sydney,I bet you had a good time!
Ship-ahoy you land-lubbers!
Sure! It was a perfect location to walk downtown. :thumbs:
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines