Hello Guest May 05, 2024, 07:23:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some Forum Jargon  (Read 7725 times)

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
Re: Some Forum Jargon
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2007, 02:48:56 »

Hmmm... I think some of you are making these up  ::) I thought it was suppoed to be helpful, not create confusion lol. I doubt anyone would ever use all those from that huge list!  :D
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2007, 03:36:39 »

Heh heh..

Well I realise the whole list is a bit extensive. But hey, suppose someone would encounter one of those abbreviations on this forum and wondered what it meant. Better to have a big alphabetic list that he or she can find, if he or she searches for this topic, than to have 50+ posts with a few different ones in it, right. That would be more confusing even.

But yeah, the list is a bit "over the top" perhaps. And for sure a lot of stuff seems "made up". But there's even more of those, some totally senseless, you should have seen what I left out!  Just a list from some site that lists internet lingo and things alike. I myself learned to write properly, so I too often wonder what some of them mean. That's why I looked it up in the first place.

And I agree, no one would use all of those, but a lot of people use a lot of those.  :)

Fred
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 03:44:40 by Mad_Fred »

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2007, 06:45:38 »

Greetings,
Yes, thanks for the dictionary of thiese words,however i feel it much to difficult using this kinds of words.
I know it all have to do something with the time to write a word,but,because i have time when i'm on the computer,i write the words complete,also to learn more better writing in the english language.I can say that their are also in the dutch language people who cut down the words,just like in english.
Most of the time when i see that,i have to ask,what it means.
So maybe i run a bit behind,in these things.I have to catch up someday.
Regards
Marc
N

mvsmith

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2007, 13:40:57 »

Currently in the US there are TV Adverts poking fun at the use of abbreviations in text messages on cell phones. There, the object is not only to save time, but space on the small screens.
I know that when I run SS on my i-phone, the ships are real tiny! ;D

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2007, 14:07:14 »

I don't mind using a few of them such as 'lol' or 'np' but as for the other ones with 5 or 6 letters are a bit over the top.

Thanks for the list though, makes me laugh that people actually sit there and type these out lol (Laugh out loud)  ;D
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2007, 00:55:06 »

I find myself agreeing that on a multinational forum using complex abbreviations is likely to confuse people and take a lot longer if people need clarification.

I know we live in an age of ever decreasing standards, but do we really need all these abbreviations? If your potential reader does not deserve the courtesy and respect of a reasonably written post, then why bother?

(I must point out that is totally my own opinion and is not a Vstep moderator official statement).

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

mvsmith

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2007, 02:38:41 »

QWERTY! ETAOIN SHRDLU?

simplayer

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2007, 07:14:43 »

H&K ..? ;D

i do sports where H&K have a total other meaning...
http://www.heckler-koch.de/HKWeb/show/frameStart

CONSTANTIA ET LABORE
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines