Hello Guest May 15, 2024, 23:14:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightning  (Read 1869 times)

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
Lightning
« on: August 18, 2008, 06:30:31 »

HUGE Thunder storm atm, one hit our deck. hitting the barn next door now. White light fills my room every 10 seconds..

I HATE IT.

Now watching youtube with lights on and blasting music.

Capt.Bluebeard

Re: Lightning
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 06:35:26 »

HUGE Thunder storm atm, one hit our deck. hitting the barn next door now. White light fills my room every 10 seconds..

I HATE IT.

Now watching youtube with lights on and blasting music.
Then you wood like a trip in here i think  :D ;D
Hate Lightning to, burned my servers CPU grrrrrrr

TerryRussell

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 08:57:29 »

One of the most dangerous things you can do in a thunderstorm is to use electrical equipment that works from the mains. That is equalled by using telecommunications equipment that involves wires, even if they're buried under the ground. If the lightning stirkes the cables (and the ground isn't even there, for the lightning), you can get many millions of volts up your armpits.  :o

It is on a par with flying a kite with a wet rope into a thunderstorm.

The trouble is that the cables offer one of the best paths for lightning and will get struck out of all proportion, in preference to other objects. If caught in a thunderstorm and there are cables underground and trees nearby, well, you're going to go out with a bang, probably.

If the hairs on your head start to rise, immediately drop flat on the ground. You might just be lucky... :'(

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 09:01:01 »

LOL. I broke my old laptop power adapter in a lightning storm...

Capt.Bluebeard

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 09:09:09 »

If the hairs on your head start to rise, immediately drop flat on the ground. You might just be lucky... :'(

Tanks for the warning Terry  ;D but i was lucky, just the CPU  ::) the most expensive in the PC, so no more on when I'm not home
Tore

moonrider

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 09:16:55 »

No problem here, power is cutoff if it starts thundering.
There are things on the market you can buy to prevent damage to youre stuff like pjuters and televisions, The one i use was like 20 euros, but saved me more then that.

Greetz, frank

Os      : Windows 7 ATI Ultimate 64-bit
Cpu     ; AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Clocked op 6x 4.0 ghz
video   ; 2x XFX HD5970 Black Edition 2048 mb
mem     ; 12 gb ddr3 1333 mhz
HD      ; 2x 1 TB  (2000 gb)
screen ; Dell 27# W

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 09:26:10 »

We havebsurge protectors for our $10,000 theater room

Capt.Bluebeard

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 10:22:35 »

No problem here, power is cutoff if it starts thundering.
There are things on the market you can buy to prevent damage to youre stuff like pjuters and televisions, The one i use was like 20 euros, but saved me more then that.

Greetz, frank

Yes, i now they are here in Norway to, why didn't i think about that , thanks for remind me of that, totally forgot that was stuff like that. It's a god thing to haw in this time of the year, it's the thundering season
CB/TJK

TerryRussell

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 10:55:37 »

Those protectors are definitely worth their weight in gold.  ;D

No wait, that's one of the best conductors of electricity.  :o

Err.. worth their weight in plastic.  :P

But, seriously, good though they are, you will not be protected in the event of a close or direct strike to the phone lines or the electricity cables, even if they're underground.

That lightning may have just leapt 10 miles through the sky. The protector is just one more piece of melted metal and plastic as the current sears its way to your heart and makes a lasting impression on your brain via your ears (if you were on the phone at the time).

Capt.Bluebeard

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 12:05:08 »

;D  mmmm
well Terry i thing i drag the contacts out when i live my home, thats are the most safes to do i think, and that cost nothing  ;) that is what i use to do, but i forgot the server  :-[ :(  this time. Beginning to be old and forget things :D

llamalord

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 14:42:15 »

Do you really think your weather is bad.  Just ask Trains and I we live near each other in Massachusetts and there have only been about five days this summer when we haven't had a "severe thunder storm warning." >:(

What a year to buy a boat. ;D
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

www.llamalord

Capt.Bluebeard

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 15:30:09 »

Do you really think your weather is bad.  Just ask Trains and I we live near each other in Massachusetts and there have only been about five days this summer when we haven't had a "severe thunder storm warning." >:(

What a year to buy a boat. ;D
Sorry :D shall not complain, haw seen the weather in US when cyclones are over there and the thunder and lightning haw CNN i feel sorry for your bad really bad weather.Hopefully you can use it next year  ;) or move to Norway ;D ;D
TJK/CB
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 19:59:12 by Capt.Bluebeard »

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 19:14:37 »

Just ask Trains and I we live near each other in Massachusetts and there have only been about five days this summer

I KNOW WHY DIDN'T you tell me. One of the biggest ones (your 6'' of rain in an hour) was right after I landed. I was in pembroke for a week, could have met up. :p
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines