Hello Guest May 13, 2024, 06:42:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: first view on this game  (Read 2002 times)

Daisai

• Forum member
first view on this game
« on: January 16, 2009, 01:48:16 »

After playing this game for 2 days i wonder 1 thing.

How do they dare to ask money for game which is still in a beta phase by the looks of the bugs and unstable playing.

Minime

• Forum member
Re: first view on this game
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 01:54:38 »

If it was in beta phase, it wouldn't be released to you. Have you downloaded all the patches? I'd say the game is worth all the money and even more

thanks to Tore/TJK for this awesome sig

Daisai

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 01:55:33 »

There is a thing called open beta which can be downloaded by all.
And yes i have downloaded all the patches and i dont care about the money.
Just find it a bit pathetic that the developers are releasing a game which is clearly not ready yet.

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 02:21:57 »

Yes I know about open betas, but they wouldn't be using them for this game, I think. When I play I experience very few bugs, maby in some missions, but nothing that makes the game less fun to play

thanks to Tore/TJK for this awesome sig

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 03:22:18 »

To be honest, I also experience very little bugs. Granted, it took some downloading of missions to fix problems after certain updates. But that was to be expected, some changes break previously made missions. You cannot avoid that sometimes.

My pc is very average, but my game is running very stable, and I do not experience crashes or any such problems. I'm lucky that my pc is perhaps setup a bit better than some (by chance, not by me  :)).
And I do know that Shipsim may make you tinker with things a bit more to get it right sometimes, compared to other titles that require less attention. I do agree there. A certain type of attitude is needed to be able to overcome the hickups caused by the game's teething troubles, and set it all up a bit better. Giving up and speaking ill of hard working people who actually do a better job that the developers of some of the sims I have in my collection, specially back when they were making their first few titles, is a bit rude, in my opinion.

Just because you experience these things, doesn't mean everyone does.. Usually when looked into, it's either the pc that's not up to it, user error, or the problems are things that were known and are fixed in the mean time. But yeah, you have to look around for them, it takes a bit of effort that not everyone likes to take, after paying for a game. Because you would expect a product to be flawless. Alas, in the game genre, this is very very rare.

But anyway if I compare it with my very large collection of other games and sims, and look at the prices, plus take into account the fact that there is no other title on the market that brings this kind of nautical simulation to the fans (non military I mean with that), I think it's very good value for money, myself.

I'm sure you can find answers and solutions to a lot of these bugs you experience, and unstable running, is usually a problem with the pc, not with the game. So perhaps you could post your dxdiag..  there might be something that can be updated or improved, perhaps?

Regards,
Fred

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 03:23:56 »

After playing this game for 2 days i wonder 1 thing.

How do they dare to ask money for game which is still in a beta phase by the looks of the bugs and unstable playing.
i must say the game is great and well worth its money. I dont have any bugs, but everyone most certainly has a right to their own opinion :-\

Daisai

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 03:38:27 »

I seriously doubt it when people say they dont experience any bugs.
Game keeps crashing while trying to enter certain servers.
Players arent being shown at completely different places then where they really are.

And if you really dont experience any bugs please tell me , which version of the game are you playing and which server?

I can name a few simulator kind of games which are about a few years older then this game which run way smoother then this and bring a just as much as a simulator aspect so this.

"Usually when looked into, it's either the pc that's not up to it, user error, or the problems are things that were known and are fixed in the mean time."

My pc is very much up to this game and i have the latest patch.

And Master Captain , you never ever had the Questviewer crash ?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 03:59:20 by Daisai »

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 04:02:21 »

Ah you mean just multiplayer.. sorry, I am more of a mission guy myself. I like realism and challenges over just sailing about... So untill we can play online missions, I am not really on MP much.

Well, it's well known that the server software isn't as good as they had hoped it would be, that is why at this moment a new version is being developed and tested.

The players not being on the right places, has most of the times got to do with the quality of the server, and the connections of the players.

Those are not really bugs, because, when you play on a decent server that is up to the task, with people that have proper connections and are not downloading at the same time perhaps, thus ruining everyone's fun, I never experience any of them.

So again, the server software has flaws, which is why it's being overhauled, but most of those strange things are caused by things other than the game, really. We've tried and tested quite some stuff after many complaints, and often in the end find out that hosts are hosting too many servers, or simply do not have the power and the connection to pull it off. If people host games from their own game pc, and have an average connection, and then invite 30 people onto 5 or 6 servers at a time.. it doesn't work very well, unfortunatly.

But really, the MP mode is young, its only the first attempt..  and for the most part this simulator is made for playing challenging missions. I doubt that you played all of them in just two days.. MP is just an extra now, in which there is not much to do yet, but in the future, it will grow into what it is intended to become. And the software will get more efficient and stable too.

But I'd suggest playing some missions then.. that's where you can experience the game. By simulating the real life situations and jobs..  :-\

Regards,
Fred

Daisai

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 04:21:49 »

"  that is why at this moment a new version is being developed and tested."

And thats something you do in a beta.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 04:27:55 »

As far as I'm concerned, this game is worth every Euro.. :)

Daisai

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 05:08:31 »

Considering that was only like 30 thats not really the issue.
Its more that they dont really put enough time in it if you ask me before they release it.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 05:17:46 »

Uhm.. all games that are under constant development, like almost every simulator, have to keep on betatesting new material. It's never done, when you're still making it better and better.

But if you want to start a whole new thing, you cannot make it all at once, that would take 10 years.

Look at flight simulator.. and how long it took Microsoft, a MAJOR company nonetheless, to get all the initial problems ironed out..

Years and years it took them, with constantly ongoing development, and constant testing too of course. That's not odd, or out of the ordinary.

This is not some arcade game..

Regards,
Fred

Daisai

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 06:46:19 »

A few bugs yes, only not bugs in multiplayer that cause it to not be able to be played.
Games simply die really fast when that happens.

TerryRussell

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 15:53:05 »

So you've had a few problems with one aspect of the simulator? OK. There are some aspects of the server software that are not perfect, but the majority of problems are down to either the server owner's problems or the user's problems.

Problems can be due to any number of things, ranging from the user or server owner's own low-spec or overloaded PC, poor internet connection, trying to log onto a misconfigured user server and so on.

It happens. The MP side of this simulator is still very new.

Windows V1 was very buggy. Windows 7 will be buggy. When you return your copy of windows because of its immense amount of bugs, you won't need to worry abut such things.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 19:28:25 by TerryRussell »

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 16:51:44 »

Daisai - you've had your moan, so why are you still here?

If you don't think its worth the money, which I think it is, then don't bother coming here.

Nathan|C

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 17:51:45 »

Can you please give us a list of all the bugs you're having? Because it sounds like your computer is the cause...

mvsmith

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 18:18:47 »

Hi Nathan,

If you look at his posts, he has reported few, and those were about MP. His rants must be based, like some other departed ranters, on trolling for complaints by others.

As with the others, he will probably make himself obnoxious for a while. When he realizes that his rants gain him only the contempt of others who volunteer to give help and to improve the simulation, he will go away.

Regards,
Marty

jim.smith

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 14:36:48 »

Hi all I can honestly say I have had no problems with Ship Sim or any addons,is it because I have not used multiplayer yet.

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2009, 15:17:03 »

Hi Nathan,

If you look at his posts, he has reported few, and those were about MP. His rants must be based, like some other departed ranters, on trolling for complaints by others.

As with the others, he will probably make himself obnoxious for a while. When he realizes that his rants gain him only the contempt of others who volunteer to give help and to improve the simulation, he will go away.

Regards,
Marty

Is there any other reason for you to be on this forum then whining about how other people are screwing around?

Biceaus all the posts I read from you are all telling the same about other people.

I don't agree that the game is full of bugs.
But, MP still needs a BIG improvement.

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2009, 15:51:02 »

Is there any other reason for you to be on this forum then whining about how other people are screwing around?

Biceaus all the posts I read from you are all telling the same about other people.

I don't agree that the game is full of bugs.
But, MP still needs a BIG improvement.

You know what Mvsmith's problem is? He can't communicate with stupid and dumb people.

It's the crew that makes the difference

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2009, 15:54:01 »

Agree with you, Sam.

I was reading many his needles posts full of sarcasm. It's clearly seen that his aim is to bring down to mud all new members in whose posts he sees something "chieldish" & incorrect things which can't compare to his wide range endless knowledge. That's why he's lowering people in "legal" way without crossing the forum rules by using his amazing sea brains to expalain every problem & all the moderators are supporting him because he's almost doing their work.
And if someone of the moderators will disagree with me & will make a warning - that will only confirm all that what I've said.
qft

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2009, 16:03:36 »

You know what Mvsmith's problem is? He can't communicate with stupid and dumb people.

Is this really nescesary?
What a adult comment!
It shure helps now that I know that I am STUPID.

I think it is I time that a Moderator closes this topic before this gets any worse.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines