Hello Guest May 13, 2024, 00:12:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PC problem  (Read 870 times)

Minime

• Forum member
PC problem
« on: January 16, 2009, 17:38:21 »

Hi my friend is having another problem wit his computer, and I was hoping someone could help. The problem is that the desktop has dissapiered, there is only a black screen with no icons. The start option is also gone, so he can’t access anything that way. The right click option is also gone, but he can access the the task manager by pressing ctrl-alt-delete, and that way acces all the programs I think. I attached the dxdiag, because it might be a missing driver that caused it, so please could someone look?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 17:47:21 by Minime »

thanks to Tore/TJK for this awesome sig

TerryRussell

Re: PC problem
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 18:35:51 »

It sounds very much like a corrupted registry. Unless he has a registry backup, then there is probably not much chance of recovery.

He could try doing a Windows Repair.

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 18:57:53 »

Windows repair? Don't really know what it is, so is the only thing we can do format the pc?

Capt.Bluebeard

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 19:08:23 »

Windows repair? Don't really know what it is, so is the only thing we can do format the pc?
Put the win cd/dvd in and boot the PC  from it and when win install start you click on window repair and follow the step on the screen

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 19:29:38 »

ok, I'll tell him to do that, thanks. But is there anything that I should know before we do it?

TerryRussell

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 19:34:55 »

Yes, basically it looks like you have four possible options:

(1) The best one - if you have made a system restore point before things went wrong, you might be able to access that. Do a google search for that. But, this will only work if enough of Windows is still operational.

But try it first. The worst you can do is to be no worse off.

(2) Second best, if you have ever made a registry backup, you could try restoring that. Not many people do that, though.

(3) You can try to repair windows.

If you have a system restore disk, you can select the "Repair" option at the first menu when you boot from the Windows CD.

If you never made a restore disk, select the "Install Windows" option and then a few clicks away you will be told that the CD has found a Windows installation. Tell it to repair that one.

(4) You can reinstall Windows from scratch and loose all of your settings. But your data should be saved (unless it sits in the "my documents" folder, which will be wiped clean.

You'll also have to reinstall most of your programs.

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 20:33:52 »

OK, thanks I'll talk to him later

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 18:00:12 »

Does anyone know of some good program to retrieve files deleted from the computer?

Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines