Hello Guest May 14, 2024, 11:31:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mts Jason and her sisters  (Read 3004 times)

Cloud

• Forum member
Mts Jason and her sisters
« on: July 19, 2007, 00:41:27 »

Greetings,

This topic is a carry over that was started in a Separate topic, found here http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,689.msg9851.html#msg9851.

....So the mts Jason was originally called the Eros and was one of three small ferries built by the Italian government in the mid '60s in Monfalcone near Trieste in the Adriatic as war reparations to the Greek government. The other two vessels which I have attached pictures of were the Aphrodite and the Adonis (for the Jason picture please see hyperlink above to original topic). The ships were sold to 3 separate Companies who converted them to traditional passenger vessels and renamed;

Eros renamed Jason - Epirotiki Lines
Aphrodite renamed Stella Oceanis - Sun Lines
Adonis renamed Atlantis - Kavounidies Lines

These ships sailed during the summer seasons in direct competition against one another in the Aegean and Eastern Med in general, and in the winter seasons repositioning to the Caribbean and other areas. The Jason in particular I know has done seasons in the Caribbean, Amazon, Alaska and Galapagos Islands.

The Atlantis was the first of these vessels to go having suffered a fire sometime in the late 70's/early 80's I believe.

Eventually the Jason and Stella Oceanis found themselves sailing under a newly formed company called Royal Olympic Cruises in 1997. By this time however these traditional passenger ships were quite old and under-utilized since they were not considered "fashionable" or appealing to the new class of passengers who prefer these massive Cruise Ships we see around us today. This company eventually went bankrupt in 2003 due to various circumstances including the effects of Sept. 11 and shortly there after in 2004 the Stella Oceanis was scrapped. From what I understand the Jason is the only surviving sister, in lay-up somewhere in Greece (I would guess Skaramagas or Eleusina).

That's about it. Hope you find this of interest and if anyone has something to add or crossed paths with the Jason or her sisters, I'd love to hear about it.

All the Best,

Larse

« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 00:50:14 by Cloud »

redbeard

• Forum member
Re: Mts Jason and her sisters
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 18:06:09 »

http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/royal_olympic_cruises.htm
Its in Swedish, but u get the picture I guess.  :)

Cloud

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 23:37:31 »

Hi Redbeard,

Many Thanks for that. Some really great pics there of the old ladies in the Royal Olympic fleet.

I also took a look around the site, really great stuff thanks!!  ;)

Larse
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 23:43:38 by Cloud »

redbeard

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 23:49:06 »

No problem. Its Funny to see some of the beautiful, old cruiseliners i see here in Bergen at the summer. Nice to see their whole history to.  :)

I found the link at a Swedish shipbrookers site. http://www.djurgardsvarvet.se/ Im looking for a new boat for the family.  :) Not one of the huge ones though. hehe...

Cloud

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 03:56:24 »

Hi Redbeard,

Fantastic town Bergen! I have a good friend who lives there in the Norwegian Navy with your Submarine Service.

Good Luck with the boat hunting and thanks again for the great websites.

Larse

redbeard

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 14:12:56 »

Thanks Larse!  :) Its a nice town when its not raining. hehe..
It will probably take som time searching for a new boat. Always a question of capital vs space. hehe..
Your friend, he is based at Haakonsvern i guess.

Cloud

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 08:36:03 »

Hi Redbeard,

Not sure the exact name of the place but it's a pretty big base for the Nowegian Navy close to the airport. He's with the supply people supporting the sub fleet. He complains about the rain also  :D Never realized you got that much rain there.

Anyway, hope you find the right boat....I know you'll have plenty of great places to go cruising up there!  ;)

Larse
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines