Hello Guest May 04, 2024, 05:24:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Would you like to have the ability to make custom trailers for the game and win?

Yes
No

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ship Simulator 2008 Trailer Competition  (Read 10510 times)

Lighthouse

• Forum member
Ship Simulator 2008 Trailer Competition
« on: July 13, 2007, 08:10:00 »

Hi sailors,

A few days ago I was looking at the trailer and demo download page and discovered there is no downloadable trailers (ads).

So I thought to myself “I wonder if Vstep or the Ship simulator crew could open up a competition page on their site ( www.shipsim.com ) and allow us users to make custom trailers for ship simulator since the creators and publishers have so much to do in relation to exporting the game and creating a demo.”

Please enter my poll on “Would you like to have the ability to make custom trailers for the game”

Oh, I almost forgot to mention, the best video/trailer/ad is used to advertise Ship Simulator 2008 on the site.

Though there are a few things we would require to be able to do such a thing.

1) Some of you may remember that prior to SS06’s release VStep and the ship Sim crew released individual trailers about each ship. All roughly 25 seconds long. So in order to get this competition up and running we would require all or at least most of the ships to have individual trailers, which we could download and import into our custom trailers.

2) We would also require short and long airial shots of the new harbours and tracking shot (circling shots) around special features of Ship Simulator 08 like the San Fransico red Bridge, new sky scrapers and the new oil rig. Arieal shots of the ocean area would also be great for opening sequences.

3) We would also require the official Ship Simulator 2008 logo for download to use in our vids likewise with the offical Lighthouse interactive video which was used in the opening sequence of SS08 .

All responses welcome.

Bon Voyage,

Lighthouse   
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 08:51:22 by Wout »
The lighthouse, added in the 1820s to aid navigation for vessels using the deep water channels. It is still in use today and plays a central role in the navigational system for ships entering coastal Harbours.

Maik

• Forum member
Re: Ship Simulator 2008 Trailer Compitition
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 08:27:52 »

Well I would like to give it a try, I have absolutly non experience with making vids with movie maker etc. so the first few times are gonna be some puzzle. But I was planning already to make a few vids to post in the media section. But my download :o 47% and still 1 hour and 23 min. Damn I'm getting inpatience here ;D

pjotr

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 09:42:07 »

We certainly welcome every good promotion that people make for our game!
We are working on the official trailer ourselves already.
So any trailer made by other people doesn't replace the official trailer, but supplements it.
I think the idea of a promo video competition is a good one.
We had something like that for screenshots for SS06 as well.
What I can offer is an official Ship Simulator polo shirt every month for the best video.
Like with the screenshots, you need to set up a voting system on the forum where everybody can bring out his vote.
You can post your video on YouTube or another video sharing Website, that's easier than letting us host it.
And you will attract a lot more people to your video, who may not have heard of Ship Simulator before.
No need for logo's on your video, just a reference to www.shipsim.com at the end is enough to qualify for the monthly competition.
And post the link to your video at YouTube here on the forum.
For a nice video in which the new game is promoted, have a look at this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhIGSRzttBA
Have fun!

Lighthouse

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 10:35:12 »

Hi,

Firstly, big thanks to pjotr for the news I was hoping to hear... That you will allow the Video compitition and the prize that you said for the best vid every month just dropped my jaw, an offical Ship Simulator polo shirt :o

Pjotr, could you please recommend a program which enables us to film within the game. Is it a program we can download off freeware?

Will enter the comp as soon as I get Ship Simulator 2008. BTW pjotr, any news on how your going shipping the simulator to Australia? I know a few other types of store here PM if you'd like to know what name they are.

Bon Voyage,

Lighthouse
The lighthouse, added in the 1820s to aid navigation for vessels using the deep water channels. It is still in use today and plays a central role in the navigational system for ships entering coastal Harbours.

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 10:42:30 »

For a nice video in which the new game is promoted, have a look at this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhIGSRzttBA
Have fun!

That's a nice promo for the game, gotta love it when the game is on TV :D
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

adamano

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 13:20:53 »

Lol was that my powerboat footage they put in on that TV vid? :O looks so much like it

Britannic

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 14:32:35 »

Ill give it a try- Ive already made many videos with games and have a youtube account:

www.youtube.com/bnmmvii

Might have a few frame rate probs tho.  :-[

Thanks, Sky
When Ive finished Media college Ive got many desired jobs, one being; Simulator making!

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 18:32:33 »

I have a very heavy trailer movie under development. It's probably ready by the night. 8)

Maik

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 18:44:58 »

I have some problems with the graphics! Waiting for an awnser how to solve them and then I'll make a vid!

UUUUUHHHHHH

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 20:39:23 »

who voted no?
Ich hasse dich.

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 21:56:13 »

All my SS2008 movies: http://virtualships.org/movies/  8)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 19:39:40 by JHB »

J3nsen

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 22:55:54 »

SH** NICE!!!  ;D

Lighthouse

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 23:19:27 »

Hi,

Could anyone please recommend a program which enables us to film within the game. Is it a program we can download off the freeware site?

Will enter the comp as soon as I get Ship Simulator 2008, likewise with getting the program that enables me to film within the game.

Bon Voyage,

Lighthouse

Fireburn

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 23:24:05 »

There is fraps ( www.fraps.com ). It will allow you to film 30 seconds per time ( you can just film again after the 30 seconds ) , with sound, without buying it ( 37 US$ ) .
And there is gamecam ( http://www.planetgamecam.com/ ), which also has a maximum video length ( don't know how long ) , and won't let you record sound before buying it ( 10 US$ ) .

adamano

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2007, 10:05:49 »

who voted no?

I did, because it will not be an official trailer, maybe a promo video? but the thing is there is alot of people with a wide range of video editing skills. and some who can only make the videos using movie maker. which is unfair, so the people who are pros at doing the editing will end up winning were as there was someone who isnt as good editing spent a few days making his.

Deanau

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 00:09:13 »

Competition

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 00:15:57 »

the thing is there is alot of people with a wide range of video editing skills. and some who can only make the videos using movie maker. which is unfair, so the people who are pros at doing the editing will end up winning were as there was someone who isnt as good editing spent a few days making his.

Well, I for one won't be entering the competition, because I agree partly with that comment.  As most of you already know, I've been making movies since 2003, so in my case it would be unfair to other members for me to enter my videos ;)

I am more than happy to make movies, then hope and pray that other people gain enjoyment from them ;D

I do think the competition is a good thing though, it allows members to explore their potential and would give us all a great deal of enjoyment watching what can be accomplished with some practice........and for those who don't know a LOT of time lol

Regards.

DJM.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2007, 07:25:04 »

Well, I for one won't be entering the competition, because I agree partly with that comment.  As most of you already know, I've been making movies since 2003, so in my case it would be unfair to other members for me to enter my videos ;)

I am more than happy to make movies, then hope and pray that other people gain enjoyment from them ;D

I do think the competition is a good thing though, it allows members to explore their potential and would give us all a great deal of enjoyment watching what can be accomplished with some practice........and for those who don't know a LOT of time lol

Regards.

DJM.
Iunderstand the way he feels i to do not have the experience for
this
So to get round it maybe an idea to have it in two sections Proffesional/Amiture
a prize for each :(

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2007, 08:48:46 »

I like the competition the way it is. Some can play football or do amazing stuff and others cannot.
Deal with it! Let all forum members judge the videos over a huge poll and we have a winner. Simple! ;)

I have not heard anyone announcing a winner yet, so why be afraid that the ones with the best video tools will win? That doesn’t necessary have to be true. It’s like saying “I want to win the race… but unfortunately I don’t have a car” :D ;D

Come on! Make the video! Go ahead man! Don't become a looser when you have not even started! ;)

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
Re: Ship Simulator 2008 Trailer Competition
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2007, 09:31:52 »

heh, if I was to enter, my video is already complete anyway (check my signature) :D

I agree that videos can be judged on a number of things, experience with editing could be a factor in that.  If you have 2 years experience and someone else has 2 months, that could be used to better judge the finer aspects, presentation, transitions etc.

I think it will be a popular competition, not least because it shows members who don't have the game, just how good it really is ;)

Regards.

DJM.

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2007, 10:09:31 »

I like the competition the way it is. Some can play football or do amazing stuff and others cannot.
Deal with it! Let all forum members judge the videos over a huge poll and we have a winner. Simple! ;)

I have not heard anyone announcing a winner yet, so why be afraid that the ones with the best video tools will win? That doesn’t necessary have to be true. It’s like saying “I want to win the race… but unfortunately I don’t have a car” :D ;D

Come on! Make the video! Go ahead man! Don't become a looser when you have not even started! ;)

Deal with what i was simply making a suguestion if that is the attitude i
will keep my suguestions to myself then i with not have to deal with anything
i resent being told to DEAL WITH IT :-X

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2007, 11:40:53 »

Deal with what i was simply making a suguestion if that is the attitude i
will keep my suguestions to myself then i with not have to deal with anything
i resent being told to DEAL WITH IT :-X

My reply was for adamo... ;D ;)

pjotr

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Forum member
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2007, 16:30:14 »

I use Fraps for recording directly from the game, and Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 to edit the video, add text lines, add music etc. Other video editing tools will just as well do fine. Whatever you are used to. Premiere is a bit expensive for the hobby user, but Microsoft Movie Maker, provided with Windows XP and Vista, are also usable.

Then I use Windows Media Encoder 9 (free tool) to turn the resulting video into a smaller version, usable for streaming from a Website. The encoder is built into some video editing tools like Movie Maker. The original resolution of 1024x768 at which the video was captured by Fraps is brought back to 800x600, and I use 2 Mbps video bandwith and 64 kbps audio. You can even try 1.5Mbps for the video.
This video can then be uploaded to YouTube.

The most recent one I made is the tutorial of mission 3, which can be found here:
http://www.vstepvideos.com/ShipSim2008/video/
It's a lot of fun once you get the hang of it!
I encourage pro's and amateurs alike to try it out. The most creative part is where you capture your scene in the game, using a mission or free-roam with certain weather settings. Once we release the Editor, on which we are still working, you will have even more Director's options to create your own storyline.

Maik

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2007, 19:46:00 »

I just bought my new videocard, now waiting for it to be delivered and than I'm trying to work with fraps and everything. I never don a video but I have a great video in my head. Now just have to work it out  :D

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2007, 18:39:58 »

This isn't made by me but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB7HyIy9rRw is a very nice promo.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines