Hello Guest May 06, 2024, 08:08:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Would you like to fall off the ship in rough seas, on the deck?

Yes
- 41 (42.7%)
No
- 37 (38.5%)
Dont Care
- 18 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Falling Off Ship Poll  (Read 3087 times)

matt105

• Forum member
Falling Off Ship Poll
« on: June 07, 2007, 09:30:03 »

Hey,

Another Poll by me just wondering who would like this to happen in game and maybe we can foward it to the team  ;D (if got more votes on yes then no)

I would love this to happen in SS08  ;D

Cheers,

Matt

muns

• Forum member
Re: Falling Off Ship Poll
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 14:09:51 »

Personally, falling off a ship in any weather is not very nice.

Simulating "Man over board" could be a good addition at some point in time.

Eemspoort

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 16:44:45 »

Well, since i know, what it is like, to fall overboard, i wouldn't like to see this in SS08, really.

However, simulating a "Man-overboard"-situation could be nice to learn from, allthough we have these kind of simulations in SS06 allready.

I vote: Don't care.

Luc, What he means is following: When you are on the deck, would you like to fall of the ship in rough seas?
m/s "Eemspoort"
1961, Hilgers A.G.-Rheinbröhl
76,2 x 8,20 x 2,72 mtr, 1085 ton
Deutz RBV 6 M 545, 800 HP @ 380 rpm
Daf KMD 250.2, 250 HP @ 1800 rpm, bowthruster

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 09:57:36 »

Greetings,
I voted no,ther's no point to have this in the game,only a "man overboard manouvre"action,is O.K. for me.
Regards
Marc
N

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 10:03:25 »

Greetings,
I voted no,ther's no point to have this in the game,only a "man overboard manouvre"action,is O.K. for me.
Regards
Marc

I agree totally :)

I think falling off the ship/s would detract from the finer elements in the game ;)
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 13:19:41 »

I don't really see the point in falling off myself.

steveboston

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 19:48:02 »

You CAN fall off any ship right now. First in 'roaming view' find any vertical surface (and some railings also do this). Next point as far upwards as the mouse permits, then press up arrow to walk forward. You will find with care that you can climb. If this takes you to a non-walking area you will fall through the vessel and be floating on the sea (and sometimes drowning) Cool. Meanwhile the ship sails on and the bridge and external views work just as before.
Note to VSTEP Please don't 'fix' this 'bug' I think it adds something to the game. More seriously - if you could give every horizontal surface except the sea the attribute of 'OK to walk on' we could climb onto any deck on any ship - and possibly walk off onto the dockside as well.
Somewhere over the rainbow,
weigh a pie.

Wetwarev7

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 20:04:43 »

I voted No.

This might be good for a grin or two, but I think it would get kinda old fast. I'd rather see the devs spend thier time on other stuff like more detailed textures for ship interiors, etc...
There are 10 kinds of people. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

fenta

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 21:10:49 »

that would be cool, only if the "rough" sea gets to be rough sea .. and just not 4 meter high waves at anykind of windforce :D

sry my english.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 22:39:25 »

But what's the point of it? you jump off the ship and then what? Game over???  :-\

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Fredriksen

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 23:52:41 »

I voted no.
I want to stay on the ship.  ;)
BÃ¥tlaus mann er bunden.

steve149c

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 08:47:25 »

I work on the ships - as a navigation officer and I can assure you that falling off the ship/or having a passenger fall off the ship is not something to be dealt with.

Please please please don't add this. The man over board manoeure is simple enough, just type in Williamson turn into Google, and you get everything that you need. MOB is hard on the crew, trying to turn a ship around, get the rescue boat launched etc etc without losing sight of a football sized object in rough seas is very hard.

Emergencies on ships are best left to drills and practice, not something that needs to be added to a simulation.

Steve
Chief Officer
Ship handling is more of an art than science

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 11:08:58 »

I've seen an emergency drill take place (simulated in Calais harbour- with ship tied up) launching the launch etc and bringing the casualty onboard (whilst ship stationary and no swell- wouldn't want to try it when underway at sea).

That said, perhaps a mission that starts with your ship underway and you have to return to your 'head in the water' within X minutes may not be a bad move. As for the player falling off the ship :O who will steer it back to rescue you?

I vote no (for the player falling off)

Steve: I have a lot of respect for you and the job you & your colleagues do and I can appreciate it may be taken in bad taste or be viewed as making light of a serious stuation.

Having just looked up 'williamson turn' and read the difference between scharnow turn and anderson turn and which you use depending on the ship/scenario involved I think it would be a good idea to include in the game (just not for the player falling off). Simply because it is educational and shows yet another fascinating area to study on ship management. Once the dynamics of the ships are bug free then they should perform in each of these turns as you would expect.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 15:52:53 »

I spent 13 years in stand by vessells the big part of the job was rescue with dummy's
from the ship and with the rescue boats we carried that was the job get the man out of the water
in less than 3 mins man falls of the rig alarm go'es no warning have him on board in 3 mins
all good exercises for crew if real people were used they were instucters fully quallifyed and every
safety precaution in place for drill to be carried out i would like to see them in the game people go
over the side at sea not through choice it happens.
the sherpa  has rescue zone requirement for offshore  supply vessel as all standby/supply vessels do
                                                                                                                              :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines